BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a young girl decide she wanted my lane while I was coming up fast to her left on the S1000RR so I probably entered her blind spot too quick. Saw her left front fender coming at me so I thought the horn was called for.

Anyway, I thought I knew where the horn button was. Couldn't see it. Hard time finding it. Once I did, is it a "Push up with the thumb" or "Push forward switch" (BMW uses both). Easiest was to just get off the gas and hit the brakes and let her in, rather than punch the gas and doing a spectacular stoppie as a stoplight was coming up.

I thought I would toot the horn after the incident became a non-incident as a wake up call, but I still couldn't locate the damn thing. Big problem using multiple bikes. The GT is a "lift up to honk" switch (I had to go look to verify) and I often I just hit the damn turn signal switch on it, and the S1000RR is a push forward to honk (once I found it by getting off the bike and looking under the bar.

Seems I never get to use the horn when I need it. May as well not even have it. Oh well...

Mack

·
Registered
163 Posts
Feel your pain.

Each of my Beemers have a different turn signal setup...

78 R100S - on right up/down
91 R100RT - on left side-to-side
93 K75S - right/left with right cancel

·
Registered
461 Posts
I don't bother in situations like that either, I find it quicker to get out of the situation myself than rely on the horn. About the only time I use mine is at a stoplight when sombody is daydreaming when the light turns green and it takes me some time to locate the damn thing because it never gets used.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Agree with Sharkbait. Horn won't save your butt, using your riding skills will. In the press of a dangerous moment in traffic, time is too precious to spend it trying to find the horn button.
I will use the horn in "punishment mode" for a driver who starts to pull out in front of me, then stops, and I have to alter my line to move around his stationary but in the way vehicle. Usually just a glare will do, but once in a while the horn...just to remind myself it still works...
Steve
1990 K75RT

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
1,025 Posts
Sharkbait said:
About the only time I use mine is at a stoplight when sombody is daydreaming when the light turns green and it takes me some time to locate the damn thing because it never gets used.

! ! My experience also. I bought a Stebel Nautilus a while back, and after a few months, I thought I wasted my money because I never used it. Then one day I was sitting in traffic behind some broad painting her nails. She was oblivious to the green light, and after a few seconds of just sitting watching her putting the clear coat on, I found the horn button and hit a long blast. Her reaction made the price of the Stebel worthwhile, if I never use it again.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JM1200GT said:
Several times I've given "angry turn signal". :dunno:
Also when I'm on the wife's non-BMW, "I honk for a left turn."
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I've done that too at some point just for a simple lane change. I've learned to be a bit more discourteous to avoid "honking for a lane change." :rolleyes:

I hit some button on the S1000RR by accident once and the dash lit up with all sorts of cryptic warning messages. I didn't have the manual with me to understand all the gibberish so I went home gingerly thinking it would blow up if I didn't.

Found the manual in the house and discovered I hit some switch and took it out of ABS and Traction Control and some other thing I didn't know anything about. Switch is on some 5-second "Hold it down" time-delay to get it back to normal so punching buttons like a monkey on jungle crack don't work well on it. I need to carry the dang manual and refer to page 398 in Volume 2 in the English section I guess. :(

Mack

·
Registered
285 Posts
It would be nice to reverse the left turn signal & the horn switch on any BMW bike - not sure of the S1000RR left controls - just an idea

·
Registered
77 Posts
I use my horn to motivate wayward cattle to vaccate my path, or to remind unattentive drivers ahead of me that the formerly red light is now green and they can please get going so I can too. Aside from that, I usually work at taking evaisive action that will get me to a safe position rather than startle them with a horn blast that will cause them to react dangerously and make the all ready bad situation worse.

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
I agree with comments about the bad position of the horn button. When needed I'm avoiding the collision and trying to hit the horn at the same time. Often I'm signalling a left turn when I should be honking!

Whilst the horn button position like the turn switches may be a BMW thing, emergency warning controls like a horn infrequently used should be intuitive and not something you have to learn.

I think I need a voice operated switch in my helmet so I can swear/shout loud and the horn honks. :)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
99 Posts
voxmagna said:
I agree with comments about the bad position of the horn button. When needed I'm avoiding the collision and trying to hit the horn at the same time. Often I'm signalling a left turn when I should be honking!

Whilst the horn button position like the turn switches may be a BMW thing, emergency warning controls like a horn infrequently used should be intuitive and not something you have to learn.

I think I need a voice operated switch in my helmet so I can swear/shout loud and the horn honks. :)
I agree as well, I've had many bikes but this K bike has me practising where the horn button is all the time so I can find it when I need it. I do this b/c as already mentioned, every time I need to use the horn I miss and hit the left turn signal or nothing at all and just get used to simply putting my concentration into avoiding the problem rather than trying to think, 'thumb up' in an emergent situation. So now I'm often practising where the horn is....although I doubt that it will come in useful!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I never knew there was an advantage to having just one bike...I always know where the horn button is! (left thumb up). :)

Almost forgot one more circumstance where I like to use the K's loud horn: when I am toodling thru the neighborhood and the right of way has been appropriated by a group of skateboarders. They are so absorbed in their, uh, "hobby" they don't even hear me coming. Well how could they, me riding a silent K and them with Ipod buds glued to their ears? A nice looooong blast of the horn as I approach usually causes some acrobatics they hadn't even planned....and it sure clears the right of way!
Steve
1990 K75RT

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ah, the infamous K bike horn button. Gets me every time too. Sure does confuse folks when you start signalling at them while venting frustration. To top it all off, the turn cancelling button has the same (somewhat) quirky ergonomics. Even though they are self cancelling, at times it's good to use that feature. Really have no excuse though as this is the only bike I own. Have to keep practicing (riding), finding things (people) to honk at, and corners to take. :D

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
I have had the same problem finding the horn button for panic uses. When I am on long rides on the open road with nobody around, I practice using the horn button in the hope that it will become ingrained - anticipating the day when I need it in a hurry.

Nobody has mentioned the other annoying aspect of the horn button - locking the handlebar full left can press the horn button against many tank bags. I discovered this interesting phenomenon at 5:00 AM one Friday, the day after Thanksgiving. I was turning the K1200GT around in my friends' driveway as we were leaving for an early morning ride. The horn gave a long blast. I bet their neighbors really appreciated it. It took time before I could unlock the handlebars.

I bought the Wunderlich horn guard the next week. It is a well-designed product that solves the problem.

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=8500247

·
Registered
160 Posts
I am a tooter on the bike.
I use the horn almost daily in a proactive manner. On multliane highways after I have overtaken a vehicle in the left lane, I will follow a moment to see if they are intending to pull over. Many usually do. For some that don't, I may change within the lane positions behind them and wait again. If they still remain in the lane, I pull to the right and will move around them. As I come up near them I will toot 2x a short note to signal my presence where they may not expect me.

Yes I also use it for those starting to merge into the space where I currently am. It isn't a battle so much as I prepare to slow down and give room. Usually the few nice blasts work. Other times it doesn't I can often then pass them in the space they just vacated, giving another toot and shaking my head. If they give some indication they screwed up, I give a friendly wave instead.

There are many bicyclist on our rural roads on the weekend mornings. Often they will ride in clusters abreast of each other. Upon overtaking them I will give a few toots when about 1/4 mile away so to announce my presence before I am upon them.

And even with this regular usage, when doing something more evasive and punching the horn as a side bar effort, I will engage the left signal.

NCS

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
You make a good point sometimes missed, that honking is not just for forwards but also the side/rear.

I was nearly totalled once by an SUV I was watching nearside in my rearview. Being a car driver I knew I was in its blind spot, but I couldn't move up or back which I usually do. Then I saw the SUV wheels start moving towards me (ALLWAYS LOOK AT WHEELS FOR INTENDED DIRECTION). I had time to find the horn button and give a long blast on the Stebel.

Yes, that SUV turned the wheel back quick and my life was saved!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
459 Posts
I can't say I've ever used a horn on the bike. Or a cage for that matter. I'd be lyin if I didn't say I hate horns!! noise pollution....besides, screetching tires, screaming in panic and high-speed metal bending usually get enough attention :spank1:

After lane splitting for years, I don't really see the need. Besides, usually isn't any time. I had a blue paint streak on my pannier when two trucks squished me a bit as i was splitting in socal, didn't even think about the horn!! :yeow: Bike held up stellar, ducked a mirror, gassed it and i was gone in an instant. Thats more how I like to operate.

One thing I can say is, I don't like the K1300S turn signal switch, its almost uselss when you are moving about in traffic. I really liked the signals on my K1200S (the old paddles) even though it took some getting used to initially. I have no idea why they went to the new switch. it is not placed well in my opinion (hard to manipulate and drive).

Usually if I need to make a bit of noise i'll just rev it a tad, gets the light-sleepers moving :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts