BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As title.... I'm looking at possibly purchasing a used K1200RS I would just like to know if they came panniers as standard in the UK market?

Thanks

·
Registered
513 Posts
Well in the USA market they did not come with bags. The dealer had to add them and they are un-painted. I like them that way. Cause the bellman at the hotels are always banging the bags as they bring them to the room and it would hurt a painted bag.

The GT had the bags as standard and they are painted.

I remember that on the WWW BMW web site the K1200RS had no bags as standard.

I wish you well.

Go fast have fun, go faster have more fun.

Bazra
aka; The Flash

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm currently watching one on ebayUK which looks nice and has pannier rails apparently. I just thought the stealer was holding back on the panniers.

thanks again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Roadster.

What the others say is true in the US is also true for the UK. Pretty much everything is an extra on the bike when it's bought from BMW. Pannier rails, rear luggage racks, bags... not to mention the cost of buying liner bags to go inside the luggage!

It is pretty good quality though. Goes on quick, sits securely, holds quite a lot. And there are different size lids available too, which either give you a slimline look (good for zipping through traffic), or enough room to pack most of a dead walrus (don't ask how I know this).

Good luck on e-bay!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Now I can remember on my 2002 K1200RS the dealer sold me the bags and bag mounting rails. But he did not sell me or install the luggage rack.

You will need that.
After a short amount of time my left bag drooped and layed on the muffler. All was lost.

BMW did warranty the melted bag and all the BMW things inside the bag, and I bought a luggage rack for about $100. (I think) so the bag would not lay on the muffler again.

Bazra
aka: The Flash

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
My Deal

I bought my 2002KRS used from a dealer with luggage rack and a 5.5 rear rim, and strongly urged them to give me a set of bags, GT hand and leg wind deflectors. . He-he I AM THEE MR. THRIFTY!!!

No salesmaen were harmed in this transaction.............nor threatened to be...................as far as I can remember.

·
Faster than poop
32 Posts
Sorry bazra, I don't understand why the left bag drooped because the luggage rack was missing. Were you lashing loads to the of the bag, which the luggage rack relieved?

I just mounted bags to a new-to-me 2002 RS and I'd like to avoid melting them. No luggage rack.

Thanks!

bazra said:
Now I can remember on my 2002 K1200RS the dealer sold me the bags and bag mounting rails. But he did not sell me or install the luggage rack.

You will need that.
After a short amount of time my left bag drooped and layed on the muffler. All was lost.

BMW did warranty the melted bag and all the BMW things inside the bag, and I bought a luggage rack for about $100. (I think) so the bag would not lay on the muffler again.
aka: The Flash

·
Registered
513 Posts
Six, Per BMW the luggage rack is required when using bags. It helps support the bags so they don't droop.

When I bought my 02 bike the dealer in Chandler, AZ must have missed the (Note:) when installing bags, it must have a luggage rack for support.

I used the bike for a month or two when the bag drooped low enough to the muffler that it melted the bag and some of the clothes and the BMW heated vest in the left bag. I was in San Diego and the dealer said NO WARRANTY cause you must have a luggage rack. I explained to him that the AZ dealer sold the new bike to me like that.
Then the San Diego dealer called the AZ dealer and put it under warranty, including the BMW heated vest and shirt that melted, but I had to buy the luggage rack.

I would not use the bags with out a luggage rack!!!

Bazaar
ak: The Flash

·
Faster than poop
32 Posts
Which rack?

Bazra,

I searched the BMW parts fiche for the luggage rack that keeps the bags from sagging, but I don' think I found it... neither the "luggage grid" or the "luggage carrier" seem to provide support to the bags.

As the dealer mounted the bags to my bike, they are supported at three points: at the top by two hooks on the "set case holder", and at the bottom by the footpeg plate.

Can you point me to the luggage rack I need?

Thanks! (again)

Six

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am sure that the BMW pannier bags (hard ones) do not require the use of a luggage rack. In fact our local K's at work are laden most of the time with many kilos of gear and they don't ever droop.
The weight carrying is done by the rear supports bolted to the grab rail and the frame mount below the seat. The locators on the rear footpeg mount are not weight bearing.

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
Which bags are you asking about? Coach3062 is spot on with the side cases.

However, my top case is a Givi. There is a good reason for this. Givi supply a top rack system (I think mine was 'mono-lock' or something similar) that has side supports and takes more load than the oem setup. Some people have overloaded the oem rack and had the back screws rip out. The top case is where I usually put most stuff and stays on the bike most of the time.

My Givi metal hardware was poorly finished and will show rust after a year. I resprayed mine whilst it was new.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts