BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious to see if anyone rides their k bikes daily because most other bikes I see in person or online have sub-35k miles on them. I personally have been using mine for daily commuting and touring over the past 3 months and plan to keep doing so. My 07 just rolled over 45,000 miles and I bought it with 40,000 so I'm averaging about 1,600 miles a month!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Until I retired 4 yrs ago, I commuted 55 miles each way into Brooklyn NY every day I could usually using either of my two Ks, the K 75 RT was my colder weather bike as it had the better fairing. I was a teacher, so July and August neither was ridden much at all. One year just over half my commutes were by bike. Lane splitting saved me HOURS of commuting time.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Heck yeah, my 2010 K1300GT is my daily driver to/from work unless it's raining. Then my options are to 1) ride with the wife who leaves the house at 5:45 (my office starts at 8:00), 2) call my daughter (who drives a car in my name) or 3) call in sick (haven't done that yet, but... ).

Understand that "to work" is only 4-point-something miles and top speed is about 20. Coming home it's up to the limit (say no more) for about a mile, then back to the grind.

Weekends, the wife and I occasionally go for a ride, weather permitting. She loves it.

Bike is mine for 30 months and just turned 30,000 miles. It's spendy to ship it off island and go touring, so I don't.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its a big bike to use on a daily basis. So no ...only use mine for sport touring.

It has low miles at 73K
Yeah, these are massive bikes, but I still like being able to use the HOV lanes here in Houston. Congrats on the 73k though! I'm at 45,000, but hope to see well over 100k without any major failures. Has anything major ever happened to yours if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
616 Posts
well....not really..had the fuel sensor (tells gauge) replaced although over 10 years old under warranty

Just pay attention to

cam chain tensioner
lube shaft splines
change rear gear oil
and the usual filters air & oil

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well....not really..had the fuel sensor (tells gauge) replaced although over 10 years old under warranty

Just pay attention to

cam chain tensioner
lube shaft splines
change rear gear oil
and the usual filters air & oil
Good to hear. I'm going to get to the tensioner and jump guard at the next oil change. I bought a barnett clutch pack that I'm going to throw in at the same time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Now I own a K1200 RS, The K 1100 was sold. I agree it is a big bike and for short rides not as much fun as a light KTM; The big RS comes into it own on a longer ride, but still the wind noise off the GT windshield is my main complaint- a naked bike is quieter!

·
IBR# 366
3,155 Posts
I put 138,000 miles on an '07 K12GT as my daily driver, and as a Long Distance Endurance bike.

Went through three final drives, three clutches, three center stands, and tons of gas, oil, and tires.

Eventually, the radiator overflow tank split and dumped which led to blowing the engine on top of a lonely Utah mountain. I literally coasted downhill into the nearest town and called a tow truck. That was fun.

Picked up an '09 K13GT, and later a '12 K16GTL. Ran the GTL as an LD bike for a while.

Including a little 22,000 mile-in-30-days ride.

Eventually, I moved to a '13 GTL and kept it for two-up trips, and I now use the K13GT for LD Rallies. Only about 50,000 miles on the K13GT, but almost all of those are 1,000+ miles per day rides.

The headlight, front fender, and body panels were sacrificed to the deer gods somewhere in Wisconsin, but the bike didn't go down and still runs great. Fortunately, I still have my '07 GT which looks great but doesn't run. So I figure there's still one good bike in there somewhere...

Note that all of these bikes (save the '13 GTL) have been through an Iron Butt Rally, with the running it K13GT twice (so far).

Reactions: eliastfk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I put 138,000 miles on an '07 K12GT as my daily driver, and as a Long Distance Endurance bike.

Went through three final drives, three clutches, three center stands, and tons of gas, oil, and tires.

Eventually, the radiator overflow tank split and dumped which led to blowing the engine on top of a lonely Utah mountain. I literally coasted downhill into the nearest town and called a tow truck. That was fun.

Picked up an '09 K13GT, and later a '12 K16GTL. Ran the GTL as an LD bike for a while.

Including a little 22,000 mile-in-30-days ride.

Eventually, I moved to a '13 GTL and kept it for two-up trips, and I now use the K13GT for LD Rallies. Only about 50,000 miles on the K13GT, but almost all of those are 1,000+ miles per day rides.

The headlight, front fender, and body panels were sacrificed to the deer gods somewhere in Wisconsin, but the bike didn't go down and still runs great. Fortunately, I still have my '07 GT which looks great but doesn't run. So I figure there's still one good bike in there somewhere...

Note that all of these bikes (save the '13 GTL) have been through an Iron Butt Rally, with the running it K13GT twice (so far).
Wow! Unbelievable! I'm using my 07 kgt as a daily and LD tourer. I'm at 46,000 now and am on the first clutch, but she's getting a barnett kit this spring. The previous owner also upgraded my FD with a unit from a 2010 k13s. Tomorrow morning I'm leaving on a tour from east Texas, down to Miami, then back up the Florida gulf coast!

·
Registered
616 Posts
That Ken knows how to ride AND knows these bikes.

Met and visited Ken at his house once years ago when he had a group "fix what ya brung" party in his garage. He even offered lunch. NICE guy...and knows the bike inside and out. I told him what I wanted to do...and he pointed and said do this/that. Then he moved on to help others. Great time.:grin

·
Registered
8 Posts
I ride daily - but live in FL now. Chuckled at Hank's post. Used to live in KY, and a few of the fellows at work rode. We had a rule-of-thumb, if the dog's water bowl was frozen - don't ride. Have an r850r I ride around town, but take the K12 to work to be able to scoot away from traffic and questionable drivers quickly ;)

Mike

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bought my 06 1200GT in 08 with 8000 km on it. Sent it to Italy where it acts as my rental car when I spend summer vacations there. 81,000 km on it so far. We take it to the store, we take it to the Alps, we take it from Milan to northern Scotland for a week. I ride it every day, all weather, everywhere, for weeks on end.

Many things that could break did: centerstand, fuel lines, pump flange, rear wheel flange, clutch, coils, seat, many batteries, cracked exhaust cam. I am sure I am missing a few things in that list. Lots of brake pads, tires, air filters and fluid changes. Amazingly the rear final drive and ESA suspension have held up to over a decade of hard 2 up riding.

While I would like a K16GT, no justification exists.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Now I own a K1200 RS, The K 1100 was sold. I agree it is a big bike and for short rides not as much fun as a light KTM; The big RS comes into it own on a longer ride, but still the wind noise off the GT windshield is my main complaint- a naked bike is quieter!
I just bought a 2007 K1200GT a month ago with 16K miles. It has a LARGE (aftermarket?) windscreen. For the first time in several years, I am riding in a bubble of peace & quiet and it's wonderful. I adjust the screen about midway in it's range and I get zero buffeting or wind noise. Also for the first time, I am actually looking at the road THROUGH the windscreen. On my other bikes, I look OVER the shorter windscreens or fairings.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts