BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe it does. When I am on my bike, I am always watching cars around me and thinking what I would do if that car came in my lane or pulled in front of me,etc... I find myself doing the same in my car. Has there been any studies on this?

Greg S.

·
Maestro de Turismo
406 Posts
I have to agree.

Although I do occassionally face a small problem since I drive my car so little. When biking here in Spain we lane split most of the time and I often find myself "shooting for the gap" in the car before I realise that I'm in a cage and it ain't gonna fit between the Renault and the school bus.

No fender benders yet, but it does require my attention from time to time.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
oh yeaaaaaa....but it still sucks driving a car.......hard not to doze...takes forever to get anywhere.....but yes it makes a better driver out of you

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'd say I'm more aware of what other drivers are doing, but I've also found that keeping a big honking piece of steel in the middle of that tiny little lane requires a bit more attention that it seemed to before I started riding every day.

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
I don't know if it makes you a better driver overall, but it sure the hell makes you much more aware of motorcyclists than the average schmuck driving with a cell phone to their ear. :D

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
eljeffe said:
I don't know if it makes you a better driver overall, but it sure the hell makes you much more aware of motorcyclists than the average schmuck driving with a cell phone to their ear. :D
hate to see you mad! :D

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
You bet it does!
I just bought a Mazda MX-5. These things are just as hard to see as a bike.

·
Registered
58 Posts
oh yeah!

Aside from being more aware, there are technical benefits. For example, when approaching a curve instead of slamming the brakes like most drivers, I downshift the SUV (ML350) and give it gas...I feel like I have more control going thru the turn.
In addition, I have a much better feel for the road.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Motorcycle riders are aware of more around them by the constant bombardment of stimuli on all of our five senses in my opinion. The road feel, the weather conditions, the smells, sounds and unobstructed views, and all the static and moving objects impact me on a much bigger scale than the cozy, warm and sound/road filtered stereo blaring happy place that I am guilty of traveling in when I drive a cage. My awareness in my ML430 is better than non-motorcycle cagers due to my riding experience. A cage is a very desensative mode of transportation. A motorcycle may not be as safe as a cage sometimes but it's a heck of a lot more fun. It's kinda like the sensation of sex with and without a condom.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Oh Yeah!

I am definately in much more control. For example when heading into a tight curve rather than slamming my brakes like most drivers, I downshift (tiptronic) and give it gas, pushing me smoothly throught the turn instead of riding the brake.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I find myself driving faster since I got the GT.

I am also more aware of my surroundings.

·
Registered
68 Posts
eljeffe said:
i agree wholeheartedly, jeff
i think i was a good car driver before.....
but, bike riding DOES make you realize that NOT being aware CAN kill you at any moment

that isn't AS MUCH the case in my Nissan Armada (knock on wood)

·
Registered
70 Posts
hdf said:
... we lane split most of the time and I often find myself "shooting for the gap" in the car before I realise that I'm in a cage and it ain't gonna fit between the Renault and the school bus...but it does require my attention from time to time.
I've gotten so used to it that I also have to catch myself from automatically moving over into the carpool lane when I'm alone in my cage! Very frustrating losing the freedom of that extra lane when traffic gets heavy.

·
Registered
142 Posts
messenger13 said:
I don't know about any scientific studies, but I don't think you'll find a rider that doesn't agree with you.
I disagree. I was a perfect cage driver before I bought My K12RS.

How can what's perfect be made better? ;)

(We take a short pause while DaveThe Affable regains his senses)

Ohh...Sorry. Yeah it does. Even my kids commented that I leave more distance between myself and the car in front, and approach driveways and intersections more carefully than before.

Now...Big Question... If we can prove this, shouldn't we all get a rate reduction in our cage insurance? :thumb:

·
Registered
70 Posts
DaveTheAffable said:
...If we can prove this, shouldn't we all get a rate reduction in our cage insurance? :thumb:
I suspect that for every one of us who takes riding seriously enough to improve our skills, there are an equal number of squids out there who actually become WORSE or more DANGEROUS cage drivers because of all of the crap they get away with on their bikes. From the insurance company perspective, the net effect is that it probably all zero's out in the long run. :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts