85 K bike smoked like well.......it was really bad

Ride it like ya stole it

Lotta R's accelerating and decelerating

They don't burn oil

·
Registered
68 Posts
peteo said:
I have used that method on the last 3 bikes and not one has burned any oil between changes.
Yep, mine doesn't burn a drop. Very rarely, when I leave it on the sidestand it will puff a little when starting up, most times it doesn't. I think if the gaps in the rings line up just right, it allows a little oil past when sitting. I went for a ride this weekend, and it had been two weeks since I fired it up. It was sitting on the sidestand the entire time. Not a single puff out of it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
When I was looking at my K1200GT at the dealership, it was sitting on the sidestand. When I fired it up for a test ride, here came the smoke!! The poor salesman quickly went into his memorized "It's a K-bike. They do that because....." speech. I let him get probably 2 minutes into it before I told him that, yes, I was familiar with the engine layout.

I park mine on the centerstand. It doesn't smoke on startup. With 12K on the odometer, it might not smoke now if I parked it on the sidestand. Maybe I'll try it just for grins.

Rusty

2003 K1200GT
1971 Honda CB750K1

·
Registered
227 Posts
RustyJC said:
When I was looking at my K1200GT at the dealership, it was sitting on the sidestand. When I fired it up for a test ride, here came the smoke!! The poor salesman quickly went into his memorized "It's a K-bike. They do that because....." speech. I let him get probably 2 minutes into it before I told him that, yes, I was familiar with the engine layout.

I park mine on the centerstand. It doesn't smoke on startup. With 12K on the odometer, it might not smoke now if I parked it on the sidestand. Maybe I'll try it just for grins.

Rusty

2003 K1200GT
1971 Honda CB750K1
I would love to see a picture of your Honda. How about a post? I am also curious about the K1 model designation, I believe this bike came out in 1969, so the first model would have been a K? And a model later a K1?

Ron

·
Throttle Jockey
1,718 Posts
rfespinosa said:
I am also curious about the K1 model designation, I believe this bike came out in 1969, so the first model would have been a K? And a model later a K1?
Ron
Actually they are referred to as a K0, but this may not be an official designation from Honda. Originally just CB750. I had one that I made into a race bike with a Yoshimura 812 kit.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Oil and Hondas

I had a 70 CB750 and I believe it was referred to as a K2. As I recall the earlier models had a 500 rpm higher redline (like 8500-9000) but there were problems and it was backed down a little in 70.
BTW, I've started using the new gold top Mobil 1 the last couple of oil changes on my 03 GT with 26,000 miles. Both times it has consumed about a half pint of oil in the first 500-1000 miles and then uses no more. Seems odd like there is something volatile in the oil.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The K1 was the first model revision after introduction (K0) and had the fixes for the cam chain assembly, final chain drive (the K0's would tend to break and come through the countershaft sprocket case), etc. The tach on the K0 showed an 8500 RPM redline - this was dropped to 8000 on the K1. Remember, this was before rev limiters, so Honda got conservative because of the cam chain/tensioner problems they experienced on a few K0's. The K1 also had a shaft running across the 4 carbs with individual arms to lift the slides on the carbs whereas the K0 had a junction box where 1 cable from the twistgrip pulled a plate to which the 4 cables from the carbs were attached (impossible to keep synchronized).

Mine is candy red with gold accents and has the Yoshimura Road & Track cam & pistons, the Yoshimura double disc front brake kit, a Jardine 4-into-1 exhaust system, and 8800 miles. I bought it at Jim Hall Honda in Houston in 1971 and have owned it ever since. As it sits now, it's still sporting a set of Dunlop TT100's.

Rusty

·
Registered
219 Posts
I may be misremembering something. My Honda had the 4 into 1 throttle cable. I was jealous of the new, easy to adjust lever arm setup.

·
Registered
1 Posts
dkeven said:
that would be normal, if you can use the center stand mostly. After several thousand it will diminish or go away entirely. Don't worry about it. it is kind of embarassing though so I use the center stand exclusively. Kots of posts on this in the archive section.
Hi everyone, cant agree more . My K1200rs 1997 model has 47,000 ks on the clock now and still embaresses me from time to time. If she sits on the center stand it never happens, only on the side stand. So for me the problem was a simple one to fix. Put it on the center stand, looks great on the stand anyway. Happy and safe riding to everyone, My beamer can smoke all she likes in the morning, I wouldnt part with her for anything :)
Chas

·
Registered
142 Posts
Have to agree also -
Some will remember my bike was burning oil quite badly. I have stopped using the side stand now all together, and the bike doesnt seem to burn any at all now!!! ('97 model, 30,000miles).

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.