BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Santa brought me a throttlemeister for Xmas. Very exciting. Installation was a breeze. Just slide it on and tighten it down.

sigh...

Now, my left grip doesn't heat (ironic, since now I can ride without having to hold the one grip with heat). It's been raining since I did the install, so I haven't had the opportunity to pull the new weight out and assess. Anyone out there had to repair theirs? Tips? A big enough PITA to warrant a trip to the shop?

TIA

Matt

·
Registered
567 Posts
repairing heated grip wires

Oh, Matt. Didn't the instructions tell you to be careful about the heated grip wires? :sleep:

IF you are really really lucky, you cut/separated the wire about 3/4 to 1 1/2" away from the grip and repair will be as easy as a splice, either crimped or soldered [prefered]. :p

If any closer to the grip, it is more difficult and will require a little skill to repair and perhaps professional help from an electronics shop. :rolleyes:

if you cut or broke the wire AT the grip, it can still be repaired, - - BUT a lot more difficult and may be visable. In this case you might want to invest in a used grip from one on the many salvage shops that specalize in BMW parts. check the archives. good luck. :abduct:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, Bert.

I blame Santa.

·
Registered
221 Posts
grip repair

mattlamotte said:
Santa brought me a throttlemeister for Xmas. Very exciting. Installation was a breeze. Just slide it on and tighten it down.

sigh...

Now, my left grip doesn't heat (ironic, since now I can ride without having to hold the one grip with heat). It's been raining since I did the install, so I haven't had the opportunity to pull the new weight out and assess. Anyone out there had to repair theirs? Tips? A big enough PITA to warrant a trip to the shop?

TIA

Matt
If the R is like the S, the wires are only about 1" long and plug in at the rear of the switch assembly on the same bar. take out the screws on the rear of the housing and you will see the plug and socket (small) maybe just unplugged?
H

1 - 4 of 4 Posts