BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I spoke to some of the people at Morgan and Wacker BMW Brisbane this morning and learned a little more about the unexplored potential of these bikes and engines.

Tony Ward at M&W Brisbane has been drag racing a KR standard except for a Staintune exhaust. No gearing changes, no fuelling changes. Off the line at 5000-5500rpm and changing at 10500rpm. In his words -"it runs and changes well at this speed"

Run times were on average 10.3sec for the 1/4 mile at Willowbank Raceway outside Brisbane. A number of Hayabusa's were running at no better than 10.8sec for the 1/4. Tony feels the wheelbase length of the R makes getting the power to the ground more controllable. In any event it's deeds and not words that count - he's doing it! The KS with slightly taller gearing but full fairing and slightly longer wheelbase should be very similiar with a capable pilot.

The corollary to this adrenaline charged bit of worthy "testing" is that those folk who are wringing their hands in fear and worry about tossing a rod or twisting off a drive shaft should R...E...L...A...X If these things aren't failing with this kind of duty then unless a mass of reported failures show up - which I doubt - just RIDE AND ENJOY and if it breaks - so what - just fix it under warranty.

Cheers
Len

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm going to run my S the next time I'm home and the track is open........and weather permitting.

The Busas running 10.8's are rider related not bike related unless they're down on power. I ran 10.2 first time out on my Busa and 9.80 best at 143.

Now, about two weeks ago, I took the S to the track here but didn't run it. I was with a friend who has an 05 Busa. On the way back we turned them loose from about a 40 mph roll and unbelievably the S pulled him. I've got a Laser HotCam exhaust and removed the snorkel tubes for some testing. He's running stock gearing, his only mods are BMC race filter and full HMF dual highmount exhaust.

I really don't think this is a normal scenario though. We only ran up to about 120 then had to shut down for the end of the short road. He was as surprised as I was. My Busa pulled the front end off the S when I ran them against each other, but the Busa had more work on it.

I think 10.3 is great time for the R, just wonder what his trap speed was?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Any chance you could possibly post some pics of the next time you are trackside? Anyway, please keep us posted of these activities.

BTW - The S has a slightly shorter wheel base - 1571mm than the R's 1580mm.

·
Registered
126 Posts
take the slip on off,at the coupler under the pegs
i dynoed my bike and compared to the stock pipe i gained 8.9 HP and 5 LBS of torque and of course you loose about 30 LBS total,
in your case your gain will be less since yoyu already have a better pipe than the stock one,but still you will gain.
stroker

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Drag racing KR/S

BMTrevR said:
BTW - The S has a slightly shorter wheel base - 1571mm than the R's 1580mm.
I must admit I was surprised by the wheelbase difference R to S so I checked at BMW's Motorrad site and sure enough BMW state these figures also. Without changing the thread topic I can't see where any extra length is introduced into the R. I thought the steering head angle and trail made it shorter. Ah well, another learning experience. (Of course it could be a typo)

On a comparative basis in a racing sense there is always going to be major subjective variations on results due to pilot ability(75% ?) and bike(25% ?) ie Hayabusa vs KR outcomes. The point I wanted to clearly make was that the duty specs of engine and drive assembly appear to normally meet or exceed this level of repeated operation (drag racing) and a failure at anything less should be considered as unusual.

For BMW K R/S designers there should be quiet, satisfied smiles at a job well done. Peeking between hands over the eyes -- "This will all end in tears" is no longer acceptable. Are we not men !!! If it breaks just fix it and get back out there.

Cheers
Lenz

·
Registered
236 Posts
I would have been very surprised if the Motorrad website had different figures for the two wheelbases - cause I gathered my numbers from the two BMW brochures.

When I first read that the R had slighly more aggressive steering geometry, I also assumed that the R's wheel base would have been a tad shorter. The only way I can think that it is longer is by having both of the 'parellelogram' arms a bit longer. Not just the top.

I would like to try the R's steering geometry on a S to feel the difference. I would think that it would be an expensive exercise just to try it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
With the first race under my belt on the KR at Augusta for SEMDRA, I think the season will get better and better. The butterflies in my stomach were kicking since this was my first launch on her with a prepped track. I was a bit timid (2800rpm) at first since I had no idea how she would launch or what the shift points would be but the bike is very forgiving and handled well even with all my mistakes.
I also run a Yamaha Warrior and that beast is a torque monster but the K12R bike has all you need and the speed to go with. I'm just clicking into third past the trap whereas with the Warrior I was already looking for fourth.
Remembering that this was popping a cherry at the track, best numbers for the day were:
Reaction time: .116
60 foot: 1.80
1/8 mile: 7.28
MpH: 108.8
Ideally, by the end of the season, I would want it below the 6.80s so I can run with the big dog in the 6.60 class but my skills are lacking. The nearest track for practice on the tree is about two hours away so it sux to not be able to load up with test-n-tunes prior to the race days.
All in all, I am more than happy with how the KR ran but the funniest moment was when the track announcer said, "Tower-side lane has a (pause) BMW???"

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
blubruce said:
the funniest moment was when the track announcer said, "Tower-side lane has a (pause) BMW???"

classic....

·
Registered
513 Posts
blubruce said:
All in all, I am more than happy with how the KR ran but the funniest moment was when the track announcer said, "Tower-side lane has a (pause) BMW???"
Bruce,

congratulations on your experience. And the moment quoted above is *always* grin-inducing. I had the same pleasure while testing a K1200R at Misano racetrack when the admin guy checked my responsibility module and saw the bike... :)

CYA, Ed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.