BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, well this K1300s has been a nightmare but she's running at last.
However I'm trying my hardest to bleed the clutch but the bite point is only just off the grip. So it clunks or just cuts out of I slip her into first.
I syirnged her back from slave to master as described.
Tried the hold lever flick back as I have loads of bubbles in there still yet I flushed through one huge amount of mineral fluid without any break in flow.
Attached a pic to show the bubbles.
Any help would be useful as I can't test the bike without a clutch.

Liquid Ingredient Fluid Solution Cuisine

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Tread

·
Premium Member
two K1300S bikes, S1000R & Vespa 150 Primavera clown paint job
1,200 Posts
Tie the lever back to the grip overnight. In the morning work the lever vigorously and watch for more bubbles. May have to do this two nights. Tap the side of the reservoir lightly with a screwdriver handle while working the lever in the morning.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Good advice from Beech. And obviously assume you've positioned the bike/bars in various positions to eliminate airlocks as much as possible - the slave cylinder looks to me like it could trap a little air. If still no luck it might be worth bleeding it very fast from top to bottom - that's all I ever do as (with a Mityvac and PTFE around the bleed nipple threads) but I have never drained it, so have no air in it. I never trusted the idea of draining it all out and pushing through from the bottom.

I use LHM (Light Hydraulic Mineral Oil - originally designed for Citroen DS suspension systems) as its exectly the right stuff and a lot cheaper than BMW, Magura, Shimano etc. Also saves £ if you have to flush a lot through to try to get air out.

·
Registered
BMW K1300S, 2009
15 Posts
Der Rat hat mir in diesem Jahr sehr geholfen. ich habe es getan und netrl schaltet sich perfekt ein. Das System wurde aufgeblasen, als ich das Mineralöl wechselte und es gab ein Problem mit der Netrale. Beech vielen Dank für den Rat.

·
Registered
BMW K1300S, 2009
15 Posts
The advice helped me a lot this year. did so and netrl turns on perfectly. The system was strangled when I changed the mineral oil and there was a problem with the netralka. Beech thank you so much for the advice.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Good advice from Beech. And obviously assume you've positioned the bike/bars in various positions to eliminate airlocks as much as possible - the slave cylinder looks to me like it could trap a little air. If still no luck it might be worth bleeding it very fast from top to bottom - that's all I ever do as (with a Mityvac and PTFE around the bleed nipple threads) but I have never drained it, so have no air in it. I never trusted the idea of draining it all out and pushing through from the bottom.

I use LHM (Light Hydraulic Mineral Oil - originally designed for Citroen DS suspension systems) as its exectly the right stuff and a lot cheaper than BMW, Magura, Shimano etc. Also saves £ if you have to flush a lot through to try to get air out.
Duncan, is that LHMO for both front and rear and clutch systems?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tie the lever back to the grip overnight. In the morning work the lever vigorously and watch for more bubbles. May have to do this two nights. Tap the side of the reservoir lightly with a screwdriver handle while working the lever in the morning.
Would that be with master cylinder closed with membrane as normal or just capped?
Sorry just making sure that's all 👍

·
Premium Member
two K1300S bikes, S1000R & Vespa 150 Primavera clown paint job
1,200 Posts
I remove the cap and bellows so I can see the bubbles. They are tiny, just like the song. The lever will pump up also.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A nightmare, did everything, totally flushed out with new mineral oil. Biting point is so close to the grip.
It worked ok, went for a test ride, after no more than 400 yards lost pressure on lever again bike wouldn't go into gear again, lifted cap off straight away and it was full of bubbles. There are no leaks as far as I can see.
The slave just doesn't push in enough to allow the bike to go into gear.
Totally lost and thinking if to buy new lever, master and slave cylinder 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
2006 BMW K1200S
84 Posts
Sounds like an internal leak. Even if you have air in the system you should still be able to pump up some pressure if your master cylinder and slave cylinder seals are holding tight. If your master cylinder is leaking past it may or may not build pressure but will not hold pressure as the fluid escapes back to the reservoir. If your slave cylinder is leaking past you will have fluid coming out and going all over the place when you pull in the lever. So can you do several short pulls on the lever to build pressure up?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Builds pressure up after about 8 or 10 pumps on lever, ride away then after 5 minutes say at a crossroads or junction, it loses the pressure so I can't engage the clutch, she cuts out as in stalls because I'm off the revs and breaking. Clutch lever in but nothing happens.

·
Registered
2006 BMW K1200S
84 Posts
I think your master cylinder is toast. But what do I know I'm just a simple carpenter. But hey you did get to ride it. I don't think I could ride my K1200s without a clutch but I got the Fatboy home okay after the clutch cable broke and only had to run two stop signs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts