BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody!

I was looking on Aliexpress and found out they have an official Drift store.

So, looking at their action cams i got more and more curious about them.

Since im riding every day on my K1200GT from home to work and back (+/- 90 km per day) and since its dak in the morning, im encountering much more situations in which car drivers totally miss me. Near accidents as a result.

To have a much more stronger case for the police and insurance i was thinking to buy an action cam. Just to provide them with videomaterial as proof.

I have a Scorpion EXO-920 helmet. Can i stick that camera on it? Because it is a flip-up helmet...???

It doesn't matter if it is on the left of right side. I have a comm on the left side.

And how does it be put on the helmet?

Any hints, tips, help will be appreciated!

Registered
You can basically use them as a GoPro, so depending on what accessories you buy, you can mount them to anything.
I used one for a while on my VFR 1200, i'd say it was "ok" for the price
The GoPro i own now is however A lot better.

Registered
I got a dashcam from Aliexpress, similar to this one

If you're looking for something to record accidents/insurance submission, then I think these are preferable. There is a backwards and forwards facing camera, and they are hardwired to the bike, so no issues with batterys. They are wifi enabled, gps enabled, and store on SD card. The control unit fits nicely into the glovebox of the GT, and can be removed if you wish.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got a dashcam from Aliexpress, similar to this one

If you're looking for something to record accidents/insurance submission, then I think these are preferable. There is a backwards and forwards facing camera, and they are hardwired to the bike, so no issues with batterys. They are wifi enabled, gps enabled, and store on SD card. The control unit fits nicely into the glovebox of the GT, and can be removed if you wish.
Hee Corkboy!
Thanks for your reply!
I have been looking at those camera's and even though they can record everyting whats happening in front and back, they have one (for me0 major sitback and that is they don't recorrd anything whats happening at my left and right side.
And i experienced in most cases that most near hits happens at my left or right side.
So for me a helmet camera would be much more efficient.

But still your suggestion is something to look at more closely!

Just 1 question: how's the quality of the images/video's?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can basically use them as a GoPro, so depending on what accessories you buy, you can mount them to anything.
I used one for a while on my VFR 1200, i'd say it was "ok" for the price
The GoPro i own now is however A lot better.
Hi,

Thanks for your reply!
Although it didn't helped me that much.

Im not planning to use it fo extensive "motorcycle holiday trips video logging", it is just for recording the scenery just beofre any accident (which i hope i will never have an accident ofcourse).

Registered
Hi,

Thanks for your reply!
Although it didn't helped me that much.

Im not planning to use it fo extensive "motorcycle holiday trips video logging", it is just for recording the scenery just beofre any accident (which i hope i will never have an accident ofcourse).
Quality is pretty poor, but good enough if you are using it as a "security" in terms of footage you can send to insurance etc. as you say content creation (it can do obviously) but it wont look very good.

Registered
The quality of the dashcams is surprisingly good. I think the front one is 1080p in mine, and the rear is 720. In both cases you can read number plates etc. very clearly. I understand what you are saying and you are correct, the views are forwards and backwards, but some of the newer ones have fairly wide fields of vision.

Reactions: nomko

Premium Member
2015 K1300S Motosport Edition
I purchased a relatively expensive system with all the bells and whistles advertised. Wish I had not. It interfered with the front tire pressure reading, was not compatible with android devices, continuously drained the battery in security mode, accident mode was triggered by hard bumps, had breaks in the recordings, customer service was mediocre, and the microphone was really bad. Sometimes quality is just an illusion in the mind of the dealer.

Registered
Hi everybody! I was looking on Aliexpress and found out they have an official Drift store. So, looking at their action cams i got more and more curious about them. Since im riding every day on my K1200GT from home to work and back (+/- 90 km per day) and since its dak in the morning, im encountering much more situations in which car drivers totally miss me. Near accidents as a result. To have a much more stronger case for the police and insurance i was thinking to buy an action cam. Just to provide them with videomaterial as proof. I have a Scorpion EXO-920 helmet. Can i stick that camera on it? Because it is a flip-up helmet...??? It doesn't matter if it is on the left of right side. I have a comm on the left side. And how does it be put on the helmet? Any hints, tips, help will be appreciated!
Hey, Nomko, I have the Ghost and a 4K, uesd both on a Shoei Neotek 2 modular helmet. Then tried the Akaso EK7000 and Brave 7, mounted on the bikes. Then tried the Gopro 7 Silver. They all have their +'s and -'s. I also have used multiple dashcams in the car, two in use now. I can tell you this. Don't waste your money on the Drift, Aakaso, or GoPro if you only want to use it for the "security" or "evidence" aspect. But if you want to make videos of your rides, the GoPro is by far the best.

The helmet mounts use double sided tape. Don't worry, it's NOT coming off without a struggle. The mounts and tape come tith the cams.

For security the dashcam like Corkboy listed above is what you want. No batteries or SD cards (plus the supporting chargers, extra batteries, cables, SSHD or multiple SD cards, AND no forgetting to turn it on (or off) at lunch or rest stop. You do NOT need all that diversion/distraction while riding. I promise, you will get very tired of all the above and trying to keep up with everything.

It uses one SD card and runs a loop recording process (dash cam mode) that writes over the oldest files but will keep up to several hours of normal riding, depending on the resolution, frame rate and card size. You can record in various file sizes, i.e. 1 min, 3 min, 5 min, etc. You also have GPS that shows and records everything about your travel, direction, speed, braking G's, etc. You can go back and find the interesting or funny parts and share those, no problem, like when the leader made a wrong turn and took us up some guy's driveway. You set it and forget it. It comes on when you crank it and shuts down when you turn off the bike. No worries.

It also has a protection mode so when it senses a sudden high G force (crash) it will protect that file plus the one in front and behind it in case you are immobilized or occupied. Handy. The resolution is NOT the problem, or night vision. It's image stabilization, in the cam and in the software, to get the resolution to be visible or usefull. Cams mounted on your helmet are isolated pretty much, mounted on the bike not so much. You'll see. It depends very much on where and how you mount the cam. Some parts of the bike vibrate MUCH more than others. If you want side shots just get two kits (4 cams).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I purchased a relatively expensive system with all the bells and whistles advertised. Wish I had not. It interfered with the front tire pressure reading, was not compatible with android devices, continuously drained the battery in security mode, accident mode was triggered by hard bumps, had breaks in the recordings, customer service was mediocre, and the microphone was rally bad. Sometimes quality is just an illusion in the mind of the dealer.
Can you share with use what brand/model it was?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
@Lowndesw
Thanks for the very usefull info!

I found out too that all cam's have their own specific pluses and minuses.
And i have noticed as well that everybody has their own opinion and ideas.
Together, all very usefull!

Registered
Hey, Nomko, I have the Ghost and a 4K, uesd both on a Shoei Neotek 2 modular helmet. Then tried the Akaso EK7000 and Brave 7, mounted on the bikes. Then tried the Gopro 7 Silver. They all have their +'s and -'s. I also have used multiple dashcams in the car, two in use now. I can tell you this. Don't waste your money on the Drift, Aakaso, or GoPro if you only want to use it for the "security" or "evidence" aspect. But if you want to make videos of your rides, the GoPro is by far the best. For security the dashcam like Corkboy listed above is what you want. No batteries or SD cards (plus the supporting chargers, extra batteries, cables, SSHD or multiple SD cards, AND no forgetting to turn it on (or off) at lunch or rest stop. You do NOT need all that diversion/distraction while riding. I promise, you will get very tired of all the above and trying to keep up with everything. It uses one SD card and runs a loop recording process (dash cam mode) that writes over the oldest files but will keep up to several hours of normal riding, depending on the resolution, frame rate and card size. You can record in various file sizes, i.e. 1 min, 3 min, 5 min, etc. You also have GPS that shows and records everything about your travel, direction, speed, braking G's, etc. You can go back and find the interesting or funny parts and share those, no problem, like when the leader made a wrong turn and took us up some guy's driveway. It also has a protection mode so when it senses a sudden high G force (crash) it will protect that file plus the one in front and behind it in case you are immobilized or occupied. Handy. The resolution is NOT the problem, or night vision. It's image stabilization, in the cam and in the software, to get the resolution to be visible or usefull. Cams mounted on your helmet are isolated pretty much, mounted on the bike not so much. You'll see. It depends very much on where and how you mount the cam. Some parts of the bike vibrate MUCH more than others. If you want side shots get two kits (4 cams).
Cant stress the truth in this, i seriously dont think anyone wants to deal with the faff of charging/deleting footage etc EVERY time you ride. The first 5 or 10 times, sure. But you will end up not using it i can basically promise you that.
And if you dont wear it every time, but only use it for security reasons, then why even bother?
I'd look into some sort of automated system if i felt the need for recording my rides. Unless im on the track, then GoPro on a helmet is dope imo.

Premium Member
2015 K1300S Motosport Edition
Can you share with use what brand/model it was?
It was one of the early INNOV K2. I returned it for a full refund. They may have gotten all their problems sorted out by now and have developed some newer models that seem quite sophisticated.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It was one of the early INNOV K2. I returned it for a full refund. They may have gotten all their problems sorted out by now and have developed some newer models that seem quite sophisticated.
I've read good reviews about the Innovv cam's. They are a bit expensive, but it seems that the Innovv provide good/very good value for money cam's.

Like you said, if you had one of the first cam's, i'm not surprised to learn from you that the cam's had some issues. Some manufacturers put their pridcts on the market cutting off further development in order to generate some cashflow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts