BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 K1300 GT. At faster speeds on the freeway the bike gets into kind of a drone vibration where it will vibrate, then smooth out, then vibrate again. The cycle happens about twice per second. The vibration frequency, when it's occurring feels like the speed of the gear train. I do believe it's speed related not engine RPM related. It doesn't happen below 70MPH, between 70 and 80, it's intermittent or occasional, above 80 it's constant. I suspected the drive shaft and removed it. What I found was sticky pin bearings in the U-Joints. With a little tap in the right location these freed up. This is when I found out that these things are not serviceable, as in replacing U-Joints or bearings because they are staked in place. There's no way to get the bearings located and centered properly if they are removed. I forced a little new grease in under the pin bearing boots and reassembled it. This did seem to help but not completely. That was last year and now I'm back where I started before the service.

I found a good used drive shaft and when I got it the pin bearings were sticky in this one similar to but not as bad as mine were. Less miles on this unit. I'm planning to do a more thorough service and re-lube job on the new one. Before I put this one in service I thought I should try to have it balanced.

I live in Minnesota. Does anyone know of a shop in the mid-west that can balance these drive shafts? I called a local speed shop and they said that they had no way to chuck it up to balance it. They need to attach to the U-Joint to balance it and since mine can't be disassembled, there was no way to balance it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have experienced the same symptoms on my '07 K1200GT. I thought at first it was a wheel balance issue but that turned out to be false. Do you know if the drive shaft is part of a final drive replacement?

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
I have experienced the same symptoms on my '07 K1200GT. I thought at first it was a wheel balance issue but that turned out to be false. Do you know if the drive shaft is part of a final drive replacement?
No, the drive shaft is not a part of the final drive replacement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts