BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the boot on the GT, (and probably the RS) driveshaft has two black plastic wire ties for clamps. if any of you have experienced weeping from the driveshaft boot, i suggest replacing them with the stainless clamps used on the LT. they fixed my weeping, i don't know why they went el-cheapo but there is a fix.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
I agree with Razel - the boots are not holding in oil they are for keeping dirt out. If your ties were a little loose it may have been to your advantage ,because you have seen a leak of sorts. You may have a problem in the making that you can remedy now before it gets worst.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i just got it back from it's 18k service, all is well with the seal. weeping is normal, i just don't want it to collect dirt on the outside of the differential case.

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
I just looked at mine. They're held on with plastic tiewraps, not so tight as i could move the boot around. If there was oil in there it would come out and I'd see it, so I'd go with the posts saying it shouldn't be there and there must be a leak. Presumably by sealing it all up, it will eventually fill up with oil and burst out all over the wheel somehow, whilst leaving the transmission box low on oil?

Unless the bikes under warranty and oil is pouring out, It's probably one of things you plan to fix at the next convenient service point whilst keeping an eye on oil levels.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
a shaft seal lubricates itself with the fluid it is containing, the boot should not have enough oil in it to pour out but i assure you if you open the clamp and run your finger inside the boot, it will not be dry. wicking may be a better description than weeping, sorry.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Keep an eye on the oil level in your final drive. Oil in that boot most likely is from the final drive, and since it holds so little oil being an once or 2 low could be enough to cause the unit to run hot. And that could lead to bearing failure.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
jdsmith1953 said:
a shaft seal lubricates itself with the fluid it is containing, the boot should not have enough oil in it to pour out but i assure you if you open the clamp and run your finger inside the boot, it will not be dry. wicking may be a better description than weeping, sorry.
Well, ok. I'll just have to sit on the other side of the fence and leave it at "I disagree". I had some black "residue" on the back side of the boot. "The pinion seal needs to be replaced." Ok, so be it...now that it's been "repaired", 15k miles later, no oil, no black residue, no weeping. This is on a 2003 GT, so I may have errored in thinking yours was similar in design.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 9 of 9 Posts