BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 K1200R. Lubing the rear final drive splines, I noticed I am missing the little shock washer (damping disc) that goes (when assembled) between the female splines at the end of the driveshaft and male splines of the gear journal. I see it in the diagrams, but it's not there on my bike. This is part # 02 26 11 7672657. "2" in this diagram. Questions for the group: (1) is anyone else missing this little washer? (2) For someone who has one, what material is it made from? Is it polyurethane? (3) What happens if it's missing for over 7,000 miles?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just did my final drive fluid and spline lube. My driveshaft had the washer. It's diffidently plastic but I don't think its polyurethane, closer to nylon. I would get it and put it in. If you think about it and have had this apart the driveshaft basically will slide forward and back on the shaft splines (that's why you have to lube it) coming out of the transmission and forward and back on the splines at the final drive as the rear suspension goes up and down. It can't slide off either shaft going forward or backwards. The washer acts as a cushion when the shaft slides backwards. I doubt you have any damage but I would replace it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just did my final drive fluid and spline lube. My driveshaft had the washer. It's diffidently plastic but I don't think its polyurethane, closer to nylon. I would get it and put it in. If you think about it and have had this apart the driveshaft basically will slide forward and back on the shaft splines (that's why you have to lube it) coming out of the transmission and forward and back on the splines at the final drive as the rear suspension goes up and down. It can't slide off either shaft going forward or backwards. The washer acts as a cushion when the shaft slides backwards. I doubt you have any damage but I would replace it.
The little nylon washer arrived from Germany and it's now on where it belongs. Thank you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts