BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone...

I have some Jimmy Mounts and now I just need some lights to mount.

I have looked at the PIAA 530 series and the 1100 LED.

Two questions: has anyone mounted the 530 series on their bike and how did you like them. Should I buy the Fog or Driving light version?

Should I just install the 1100? They say they have the Touring light pattern.

I drive from Dallas to Austin often and usually it's at night. I want to be able to see deer and wildlife while on the country roads and I want people to see me.

I do not want to wire into the high beams or turn them on and off with on coming traffic.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Mark

·
Registered
291 Posts
Marky-Mark, can't talk to the Jimmy Mounts or PIAAs but the new leader in motorcycle lighting - according to popularity on the K1600 Form - is Clearwater Lights.

http://clearwaterlights.com/

Their lights are blindingly bright, consume low power, and come with a rheostat which I guarantee you'll use at night. I installed the Darlas on my front forks and saw an immediate difference in how our benighted Texas drivers notice me. These lights are so bright, I can't look at them full on.

There is one member on the K1600 forum (Texanwest) who is known for his long distance travels, especially at night. He has the Darlas mounted to his front forks AND the mighty, mighty 6,000 lumen Ericas mounted to his mirrors. Talk about lighting the night a la the old Candlestick Park. In all my years riding I've never seen lighting like this.

http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1600-lighting-electrical/10121-clearwater-k1600-led-lights.html

Yes, they are pricey but as usual in life you get what you pay for. If your mind isn't set on the Jimmy Mounts and PIAAs, give these a try. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I knew I would get a reply for you Dave even if you have moved on to bigger things...K1600GT!!! :)

One of the Moto Officials actually has USA Cycling pricing on those...but they are still pricey for sure.

www.lazerstarlights.com is getting some good reviews also.

·
Registered
45 Posts
aux lighting

K1200GTDallas said:
Hey everyone...

I have some Jimmy Mounts and now I just need some lights to mount.

I have looked at the PIAA 530 series and the 1100 LED.

Two questions: has anyone mounted the 530 series on their bike and how did you like them. Should I buy the Fog or Driving light version?

Should I just install the 1100? They say they have the Touring light pattern.

I drive from Dallas to Austin often and usually it's at night. I want to be able to see deer and wildlife while on the country roads and I want people to see me.

I do not want to wire into the high beams or turn them on and off with on coming traffic.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Mark
Mark check out the Denali 2 led lights from twisted thottle, I installed a set( first gen) on my 08 K1200GT and recently installed the next gen Denali 2's which have a dual mode bright and Nuclear powered!!! on low beam the bright function will give you more light down low and higher obsevability in the day time!!! on High beam the REALLY REALLY REALLY bright LED'S will light up the whole world, I can see road signs lit up over a mile down the rode which is about as far as you can see in the curves of WV, they only draw about 12 Watts each!!!
Woody

1 - 5 of 5 Posts