BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Lieu
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, this one really has me pissed off. Just finishing a re-wiring on my Centec fuse panel because I didn't like the path I had run the wires through originally. Just as I am getting ready to complete the last connection into the fuse panel, I drop the retaining nut down between the battery and the fuel tank. I manage to locate the nut and try to retrieve it with a telescoping magnet, however, as I am bringing it up, the magnet pulls towards a metal part and the impact drops the nut down further into the engine. :banghead:

I can't seem to find the nut anywhere. I did pull the battery but no luck. Has anyone done something similarly stupid??? Any recommendations on retrieval? Or should I not worry about it possibly causing damage to the engine and just get a replacement nut?
Nothing like spending several hours on a wild goose chase :rant

·
contributor
4,827 Posts
I've done it several times. Short of pulling the airbox and fuel tank, it's most likely settled somewhere deep. Never to be retrieved again.

Good thing is there's almost NO WAY it can cause any damage. Nothing really moving except the stepper motor and throttle shafts. And it's unlikely to get caught up there. It just a big collection of aluminum, rubber tubes and protected electrical wiring.

I'd wager my R that as long as the airfilter and airbox were on the bike when the bolt fell, it's safe to ride.

BTW, nice weather this weekend, huh? I'm in the near western 'burbs.

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
Some mechanics refer to that area as "the trash can" because of all the junk that tends to collect down there over time. Most likely it's nothing to worry about. :)

·
Registered
606 Posts
Turn the GT up-side down and shake? :D

Sorry... :spank1:

Of course the post title had me thnking that you had a seat porblem. :yeow:

I'm no help what-so-ever. :spank1: :D

·
Lieu
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kbmwrs said:
Turn the GT up-side down and shake? :D
Trust me, I actually spent several seconds thinking if winching the bike up might be a possibility.

Sorry... :spank1:

Of course the post title had me thnking that you had a seat porblem. :yeow:
That was completely unintentional... errr, maybe :teeth

I'm no help what-so-ever. :spank1:

That would make 2 of us!

·
Registered
89 Posts
In a shop where I used to work we would often use compressed air to make the lost part blow out or to another spot where you can see it. It sisn't always work but it's worth a try.

·
Lieu
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Overkill said:
In a shop where I used to work we would often use compressed air to make the lost part blow out or to another spot where you can see it. It sisn't always work but it's worth a try.
That's a great idea. I will give it a try!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Been there done that, I took the fuel tank off and ended up finding the screw I had lost stuck in the alternator.

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
EriK1200GT said:
Been there done that, I took the fuel tank off and ended up finding the screw I had lost stuck in the alternator.
Now that is going to put fear of death into the OP! :(

Presumably, the fault scenario is nut/screw is magnetic and with the strong magnetic field generated by alternator the 'foreign body' gets attracted into the end where the air vent cover is? Wow, that could really chew up a rotor at 10K rpm. It's a while since I had mine out, but I think the air vent slots aren't wider than about 4mm.

In the area where the OP dropped it, it will probably be OK. If it doesn't come out with an air line then it'll probably drop out on a bumpy road surface.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Lieu
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
EriK1200GT said:
Can you pull the tank without pulling the airbox? Not sure how big of a deal it would be to pull the tank. I have a fair amount of experience tearing apart my Valkyries but not much with the BMW.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had the plastic off already, so it was only a few more bolts. I did not disconnect the fuel lines(be careful the plastic connectors look flimsy) and I just pulled the tank straight up. The alternator is right below the tank, and I did not remove anything else.

Good Luck, I like the idea of using compressed air, I would try that first.

·
Lieu
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pulled the tank

Using the compressed air didn't work. I am not sure where it would have blown the nut to where I would have been able to reach it anyway.
I ended up pulling the fuel tank, which was really very easy. 2 bolts and 2 screws. Then just lift it up as far as you can without disconnecting the lower lines. I did take off the vent line. The nut ended up being up front, beneath the airbox. Here are some pictures for those of you who might like to know what it looks like under there.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts