BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes I did and I feel fucking bad. My wife has had her RS for the last 14 months and 22K miles. I am her official valet, moving the RS by hand in and out of the garage. Putting it up on the center stand for fuel and moving it in and out of tight parking spaces.

Last week we rode to Sedona for Lunch and as usual I was moving her bike in the parking space by hand trying to position it for departure after lunch. The red beast got away from me and started to drop away. As I repositioned my feet to catch it it went. Fell hard on a curb. Not much damage just a couple of good marks on the lower right fairing near the grill. And a bent brake lever. I have ordered a new lever and figured I would order the painted replacement fairing soon. But today a closer inspection showed the right radiator is crushed at the top outer quarter. No leaking and no other problems that I can see other than crushed. Obviously I will need to replace that radiator ASAP.

Question: Can she ride the RS with the lightly crushed radiator. We need to ride to the dealer next Friday (200 miles)?

Dropping an RS is a bitch! But it's part of owning one and watching my wife ride hers is priceless.
FlagGS

·
no power in the 'verse can stop me
1,126 Posts
FlagGS said:
Y

Question: Can she ride the RS with the lightly crushed radiator. We need to ride to the dealer next Friday (200 miles)?

FlagGS
If it was mine ??

And, it ain't leaking??

Sure.

But that's me. :wtf

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Well, thermostat is at the bottom of the right radiator, so I'd make damn sure it wasn't touched there, or you could blow up your motor if you/her don't notice the temp needle going to the roof.
Yes, you're doing the right thing by letting dealer check it out, but don't know if riding it is the right way to do it. Also make sure your brake switch is operating properly, or you won't have servos or ABS. I'd trailer the bike if you have a way so you don't make matters worse. Otherwise take the panels off and make sure bike is ridable. A lot of damage can happen on the RS when bike is not 'softened up' at landing. Sorry to hear that buddy. Take care.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I wouldn't ride it without pressure testing the radiator first. You might cause some more expensive repairs while trying to save a buck.

Reactions: RobV

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Throw some bondo on the crack and ride like the wind!

I would let it idle the temp up, keeping a watchful eye the crack. Ride the bike around the block a couple times, check on the crack. If you got a trailer, then use it. I don't see a problem riding the bike, but as mentioned before this could turn into a larger headache.

ONON-
Mark

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pathogen7 said:
Throw some bondo on the crack and ride like the wind!

I would let it idle the temp up, keeping a watchful eye the crack. Ride the bike around the block a couple times, check on the crack. If you got a trailer, then use it. I don't see a problem riding the bike, but as mentioned before this could turn into a larger headache.

ONON-
Mark
It looks pretty solid. There are no cracks in the radiator that I can see and no signs that it has lost any fluids, additionally the coolant reservoir is still full. We did give a good test ride and there is no indication that its overheating. Impact to the radiator was right to the side, looks like it was punched. I called the dealer this morning and he says we should be OK. He's ordered a new radiator to be installed Friday.

Thanks for all your replies. We will keep you posted.
FlagGS

·
Registered
242 Posts
jb weld

thats the stuff man. And don't feel too bad, I told the story 2 months ago how I was turning right into my garage, some bicyclists ran the stop sign at the cross street 20 feet before my garage entry, 8 of them, passed me on the right, 3 of them got by before I realized what the hell was happening, my front wheel was already cranked over, I was almost at a dead stop fortunately, saw the 8 year old daughter about to crash into me, no choice but to drop my bike on myself on the right side, get up and righted the bike, scratched fairing and brakes not working right, guy wouldnt give me his name or anything for insurance, called the cops in the town I have lived in for 37 years, cop I have known that same length of time arrives, I have the leader of the crew by the shirt 2 seconds from pounding his ass but have to go overseas the next day, cop tells me I'm lucky he didn't write ME a ticket for failing to yield the right of way and assault because bicyclists have the right of way, incredulous I go raise hell with the police chief, he blows smoke up my ass, the cop got the guys name but still wont give it to me. Jesus Christ. No damage to the bike as far as I can tell after I took the right side fairing off, but unbelievable, I had just got the bike back the day before from the shop and had it in perfect shape and then had to drop it on my right leg. Evened it out I guess from when I dropped it at the gas station the month before on the left side after having just bought it and not yet used to its low speed (lack of) handling characteristics, which I now have no issue with. I see the guys at the shop wheeling the bikes around from the left side with thier hands on the handlebars, don't know how they do it, looks risky and trick to me, I will sit on my bike to move it thank you very much. I think if you ask, you will see everyone on this forum has dropped thier bike at some point at least once. Good luck with your wife. Jack

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fixed (Almost)

We rode to Phoenix Friday and had the dealer replace the right radiator and the foot brake lever. The bike ran fine on the way down to the valley, no overheating problems. In fact it was a great ride. We are fortunate to live in such a beautiful place.

Radiator, foot brake lever, 1 gallon of antifreeze and 3 hours of labor = $700. I am starting to hate my dealer. And they don't even smile...like I'm doing them a favor being there. A whole other issue.

The right body panel is not too bad but it needs to be replaced. I will order that and install it myself in the next few weeks. At least now she can ride it with confidence knowing that it's not going to blow up. RS girl has been requesting a Gizmo Mill LED brake light for the RS, I bought one Friday and installed this morning. It's way cool and she is excited.

Thanks for all your replies and ride safe.
FlagGS

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
Glad to hear you're working your way out of the "dog house".

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have to tell my story, though I'm so ashamed. Me and my two buddies at the Internet BMW Riders rally in Branson earlier this year. We and a few others decide to go get some dinner. We pull into the parking lot of a restaraunt to park and the as we come to a stop, the parking lot is too steep. I can't touch the ground with my right foot and I'm 6'0" tall. My buddy manages to park too close on my right and puts his KRS, which he has owned a month or so, on the center stand. My bike starts leaning to the right and I can't get a foot on the ground. By this point it's really coming over, and I yell for my buddy to help me stop it before we're past the point of no return. At this point I can't hold it upright and as the bike comes down it drives my knee into the pavement and my body into my buddies KRS. I tried to grab the bars of it, but she was going down too. It not only hit the ground but it bounces and slid as well.

I felt like the scum of the earth. Insurance did it thing though. It cost $2800 to fix my bike and my buddy, well lets just say he could to upgrade as opposed to repair. Now I kinda feel like I did him a favor.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
RS Dominos

wees_tulsa said:
I have to tell my story, though I'm so ashamed. Me and my two buddies at the Internet BMW Riders rally in Branson earlier this year. We and a few others decide to go get some dinner. We pull into the parking lot of a restaraunt to park and the as we come to a stop, the parking lot is too steep. I can't touch the ground with my right foot and I'm 6'0" tall. My buddy manages to park too close on my right and puts his KRS, which he has owned a month or so, on the center stand. My bike starts leaning to the right and I can't get a foot on the ground. By this point it's really coming over, and I yell for my buddy to help me stop it before we're past the point of no return. At this point I can't hold it upright and as the bike comes down it drives my knee into the pavement and my body into my buddies KRS. I tried to grab the bars of it, but she was going down too. It not only hit the ground but it bounces and slid as well.

I felt like the scum of the earth. Insurance did it thing though. It cost $2800 to fix my bike and my buddy, well lets just say he could to upgrade as opposed to repair. Now I kinda feel like I did him a favor.
Don't be ashamed, it happens to the best of us. Sounds like RS dominos. When my wife first got her RS we came up to a stop light together and hers started to go towards me. I looked over at her and there was panic in her face as it came towards me. I leaned my GS towards her and the RS came to a rest up against my system case. Both leaning against each other. I reached over and helped her upright the RS before it fell. As I did the GS went down. But when a GS goes down it's no big deal, nice and easy on the heads (with guards) and the case. Man that was a wake up call.

We all have stories - FlagGS

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think if you ask, you will see everyone on this forum has dropped thier bike at some point at least once.
What? Me drop a bike? Never!

(said no honest rider ever)
And they don't even smile...like I'm doing them a favor being there. A whole other issue.
I'm cool w/my local bike shop mechanics being a bit surly, but a BMW dealer should definitely have folks trained to smile and do the happy dance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts