BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
ducati.ms is a great resource. Easy to get lost in though.

I'd recommend finding your local DOC and checking out the local forum activity.

·
Registered
66 Posts
google ducati monster list then look under local clubs. works for me in so cali :dance:
where are you located? do you ride a monster?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
reply to "Where am I & do I ride a Monster?"

I live in Austin, TX & ride an '04 K1200 GT & was thinking of getting a Ducati to ride on those days when I didn't want to dance with weight & bulk of the GT. I actually wanted a Bimota Tesi 3D, but at $36,000, decided to consider something else. There seemed to be numerous Ducati models & I wanted to research what's available & issues like reliability & costs.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. They were most helpful.

Tom

·
Registered
18 Posts
kvida said:
I live in Austin, TX & ride an '04 K1200 GT & was thinking of getting a Ducati to ride on those days when I didn't want to dance with weight & bulk of the GT. I actually wanted a Bimota Tesi 3D, but at $36,000, decided to consider something else. There seemed to be numerous Ducati models & I wanted to research what's available & issues like reliability & costs.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. They were most helpful.

Tom

So what Ducati did you end up with? or still looking?

I lived in Texas. Lots of room to stretch out. I'd say pick up an older generation SBK, like the 916/996/998 model, or a Monster. If you're into hooliganism...the HM is for you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
reply to "So what Ducati did you end up with? or still looking?"

Thanks for your recommendations but have decided to hold off for now. After reading many posts (thanks to the many useful suggestions I received) Ducatis appear to be too maintenance-intensive for me. See http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=26729 for an example.

Once I win a lottery, I would get one or two though.

Tom

·
Registered
61 Posts
kvida said:
Thanks for your recommendations but have decided to hold off for now. After reading many posts (thanks to the many useful suggestions I received) Ducatis appear to be too maintenance-intensive for me. See http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=26729 for an example.

Once I win a lottery, I would get one or two though.

Tom
Uhm, this thread is talking about Ducatis over 10 years old. The modern era of Ducs are not their father's maintenance stories. I've owned three and have not had any of the major problems the older ones were infamous for. No leaks, no failures, anything out of the ordinary is covered with an exceptional warantee.

Go to your local Ducati dealer and talk to them. If they're worth their salt they will talk to you and educate you about Ducati's history and how the company has turned around in recent years with new ownership and a renewed focus on engineering excellence. The new generation of 1098 and 848 superbikes and the 1100ds two valve models like the Hypermotard and Multistrada all have extended service periods reducing total cost of ownership. The two valve and four valve Monsters are a modder's dream, there are countless aftermarket vendors with more parts then you can imagine available if that's what you're into.

Going back to the dealer, if you tell them how you like to ride and what kind of riding you're looking into in your next bike they should be able to let you take a few test rides to get a feel what special about every model.

The last piece of advise is obvious, don't trust everything you read on the internet - even from dedicated Ducati sites. At the end of the day each one is run by every day people with every day opinions.

I currently ride a Paul Smart 1000 LE Sports Classic, a two valve model built on the 1000DS engine, and I have an '02 K1200RS. The bikes have nothing in common and serve two different purposes for me.

I can highly recommend the Sport Classic line for reliability and more importantly - FUN! If you're looking for something to buzz around, commute, day trips etc, the Sports Classic GT is very nice. It can ride two up if you like, you can get bags for it and it has a very nice upright riding position. The Sport 1000 has a more aggressive posture like those of the old cafe racers that inspired this line and 1000S has the full fairing on basically the same bike. Each of these bikes are build around the same 1000DS engine with differences in the gearing and clutch configuration.

Oh, and you don't need to win the lottery, you can find used ones very reasonably priced, even at dealers. The models without the Ohlins suspension are running $8000-9000 used.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts