BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know nothin about tire sizes. I need to ride up and down a mile long dirt/gravel/rutted road and need better traction than street tires on my K100rt. I have Michelin Anakees on my Triumph Tiger and love them for dirt roads. Wa :confused: nt to put some on the BMW but can only find 130/80 17 when stock rear tire is 130/90 17. Will there be any problem with the smaller ratio? Same issue for front tire. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The tire will not be as tall as the original tire, and will have a smaller circumference. Therefore the speedo and odometer will read higher than they should

·
Registered
350 Posts
related question -

I understand the aspect ratio, but as I consider a more aggressive tread for extended gravel road riding this summer - the standard K sizes are not offered. Can I mount a tire with a 3.00" width on the front (2.5 - 18 specified) the same 3.00" width on the rear 2.75 -17 specified).

And apart from mounting, any clearance problems?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Reply to Gallyoung on Tire sizes

( https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc ) The preceding web address, without the parentheses, takes you to a wonderful tire size calculator that will let you plug in the recommended factory size tire and the tire you have questions about. It tells you EXACT sizes for diameter, width, circumference, sidewall height. You can then better decide if a certain size will be alright for your bike. If you hadn't noticed it seems that car tires are made in millimeter sizes ending in 5's. 175, 225, etc. While motorcycle tires increment in mm sizes ending in 0's.
My K1200RS factory size is 180/55R17 and the car tire I'm about to mount in its' place on my sidecar rig is 175/55R17. The tire size calculator tells me the 175 is 0.22" smaller diameter and is 6.89 " wide vs the 180 at 7.09" wide. Lots more measurements are given, as well. Hope this helps.

Calbs
2003 K1200RS w Hannigan Sidecar
2005 Suzuki C50T

1 - 7 of 7 Posts