BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Beltronics #946 cordless radar detector. It works very good fastened to the top of my tankbag. My question is: Will it work as well if I mount it facing forward inside the tankbag?
Thank you
Bruce C

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
In Summation...

I spoke with Mike Valentine recently about a similar issue with the Valentine One detector and it's ability to shoot through plastic. He said that if you shoot through plastic, fiberglass, breast implants, etc you'll lose only about 5%-8% of the detectors ability to detect in that specific direction. That's not bad.

With this info in hand I would surmise that shooting through a tankbag would not hurt the signal by any noticeable amount.. Just my 2 cents.

brucecha said:
I recently bought a Beltronics #946 cordless radar detector. It works very good fastened to the top of my tankbag. My question is: Will it work as well if I mount it facing forward inside the tankbag?
Thank you
Bruce C

·
Registered
19 Posts
I run my V1 in the map pocket of my tank bag and I don't have any problems. I cover it with a map and use the remote indicator. I don't have to worry about it if it rains either.

·
Registered
52 Posts
As others have stated, for RADAR, no problem, however, you lose any hope of LASER detection.

Many will argue that by the time you detect LASER, it is too late anyway, but, I have been saved MANY times from LASER traps. So, to me, it depends on where you ride and what they use. LASER is very popular around here.

Randy

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
brucecha said:
Thank you
Bruce C
Well, I tried the detector fastened with velcro to the underside of my tankbag lid. I then rode past known radar signals( traffic lights, banks and security alarms. The results were mixed. At first everything seemed fine, then the detector missed a known radar source and then another. I then put it back on top of the tankbag and ran through the route again. All known radar sources were picked up. These were only security signals, but if they were signals from a LEO the detector might not do it's job.So, I guess with a economy detector it has to be out in the open( looking only through the windscreen) to work well.
Thanks for all your input
Bruce C

1 - 5 of 5 Posts