BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any chance these will handle like the Z6's but last significantly longer? Anybody going to give 'em a try and report back? I've never run Dunlop's. Worth a try? Opinions? Experiences?

·
Registered
238 Posts
DavidS, I've never heard of them. Usually a new tire will be released much like a new bike - with all the moto journalists at an event. Then the photos and reviews, and advertisements, appear in the cycle mags. To date I have not seen an ad or review on these tires.

If you get them, let us know how they work after a few thousand miles. I've always told my wife that any new tire feels so much better than any worn tire that first impressions are misleading.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The new issue of Rider has an article, and there are several others online. All covering the new tires debut w/ ride reports, but I take motojournalists reviews w/ some scepticism.

Hoping someone else takes the plunge and tries them out.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
I used to ride with Dunlops on the '86 Magna. I don't remember which exact model of tire. What I liked about those tires was that I got good durability (miles) from them, and the tread pattern was very resistant to squirming on grooved freeways. I hardly noticed the grooves.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The head service guy at Mortons BMW is gonna try a set on his F800, I will see what he thinks. It may be a while they havent even been mounted yet.

I just had an M3 mounted on my front wheel, to match the M3 on the back. The stock Bstone front cupped.....alot and the back Bstone only made it 4000 miles. I really like the M3 for grip

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, I have just had a set of Roadsmarts fitted to relace my Z6s.

I previously had D220STs on my 1200RT in the past and I did not like them. However, the European launch of Roadsmarts brought some rave reviews from journalists so I thought I would give them a try although I remain a sceptic until proven otherwise.

When it stops raining here I will give them a run out and report back

Tom

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tommac said:
Well, I have just had a set of Roadsmarts fitted to relace my Z6s.

I previously had D220STs on my 1200RT in the past and I did not like them. However, the European launch of Roadsmarts brought some rave reviews from journalists so I thought I would give them a try although I remain a sceptic until proven otherwise.

When it stops raining here I will give them a run out and report back

Tom
Tom, we will be watching for your report on how you like them and how they wear. Glad you are a pioneer and willing to share the info. Just out of interest, and as a data point, what kind of mileage were you getting out of your rear Z6's?

·
Registered
24 Posts
About 7000 miles from the Z6 rear and 9000 from the front. Both had a little bit of life left but who wants to run too close to the limit anyway so I thought I would replace for the new season.

Got an advanced riding course(www.rapidtraining.co.uk) in a week so I hope they will perform.

Tom

·
Registered
353 Posts
tommac said:
About 7000 miles from the Z6 rear and 9000 from the front. Both had a little bit of life left but who wants to run too close to the limit anyway so I thought I would replace for the new season.

Got an advanced riding course(www.rapidtraining.co.uk) in a week so I hope they will perform.

Tom
I've got 9k mi on my front and rear Z6s that came with my GT, and have called my dealer to try and get a pair of Roadsmarts. Although it looks as though I've got another 4-5k miles on the Z6s, the front looks like I've got two tires mounted - a flat smooth tire in the center and a curved one on the outside. Yes, I'm primarily a freeway commute rider type.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tommac said:

Tom

OK. You're one of the high mileage guys. I had the dreaded stripe down the rear center show up unexpectedly at 4200 miles one time on a trip. I just change the rear at 4K miles now for peace of mind. Another reason I'm hoping the Roadsmarts are a good alternative.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
grifscoots said:
I've got almost 5000 miles on a set of Pilot Road 2's and they look like they'll get another 4k easy. I likes them soooo much that there's a new set in my moto closet just waiting.
Hey Grif...can you confidently push them in the wet?

·
Registered
302 Posts
I was out in the wet this morning around the famous Jena, La. The pilot road 2s are like glue in the wet. We did a 12 mile section of twisties that I didn't even know was in Louisiana, great fun.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
grifscoots said:
I've got almost 5000 miles on a set of Pilot Road 2's and they look like they'll get another 4k easy. I likes them soooo much that there's a new set in my moto closet just waiting.
OK you're the first person here to post getting this kind of mileage that I think might ride as hard as I do. So please keep us informed as to what the final verdict is. 9000 miles? Seriously? Are you getting old Grif? Laying off the throttle a bit? :teeth I will need a new set soon and maybe I'll give these a go. What did you get out of the last set, and what were they? Do tell!

Right now I'm on Z6's and they're on track for 4-5k miles (rear) just like every other set of tires of any kind that I've ever had on any bike.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Strafist
2,544 Posts
DavidS said:
Hey Grif...can you confidently push them in the wet?
Why, yes. Yes you can. Is there any other way?

Robert_W said:
OK you're the first person here to post getting this kind of mileage that I think might ride as hard as I do. So please keep us informed as to what the final verdict is. 9000 miles?
That's what it's looking like. Though I'll pull them if they develop any weird patterns, or ridges, before wearing out. Tire technology and combo materials are just kewl!

Robert_W said:
Seriously?
Isn't that some kind of satellite radio? I don't reckon the term applies to moi.

Robert_W said:
Are you getting old Grif?
Not! Though I'm no longer cute enough to attract gays.

Robert_W said:
Laying off the throttle a bit? :teeth
Only from Terlingua to Alpine last weekend. It was 34 degrees and drizzling. Compare that to 93 degrees the day before and the fact that we were ambushed by it and suffered a bit in mesh suits. It was more of a hunker and shiver than lay out and strafe kinda run.

Robert_W said:
I will need a new set soon and maybe I'll give these a go. What did you get out of the last set, and what were they? Do tell!
Sigh. Ok, hang on a sec while I go get my leetle tablet.

I got 6697 out of the original Bridgestones, which were trashed and the front end extremely scalloped.

7025 out of the Road Attacks. They weren't trashed and I'd use them again, if I had to.

I'm pretty religious on checking pressure, I mount my own tires and spend a good deal of time on balancing. Also, I ride one up.

Let me put it this way: I'm shocked at the tire longevity. I'm no shrinking violet with the throttle, our summers are brutal hot, but we don't have rain grooves. I'm also not afraid to do some light GS'ing.

The only thing I can think of is I'm a pussy. I have 3/4" chicken strip that I can't seem to get rid of without freaking myself out. One of the guys that I road with on this Big Bend trip told me I hang off the bike in twisties and move around from side to side a lot. Maybe I need to stop doing that and quit maximizing my lean geometry, or start buying shitty tires:teeth .

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
grifscoots said:
Only from Terlingua to Alpine last weekend. It was 34 degrees and drizzling. Compare that to 93 degrees the day before and the fact that we were ambushed by it and suffered a bit in mesh suits. It was more of a hunker and shiver than lay out and strafe kinda run.
I was just there two weeks ago and it was beautiful. We're actually looking at picking up a piece of land outside Ft Davis to spend a couple of the "wetter - cooler" months in a more 2 wheel friendly climate. Might be back down that way in a couple or 3 weeks again. Man I love that country!

Good info on the tires though. Thanks. I will definitely make my next pair a set of PR2's. Anything to get even 2k more miles would be welcome.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts