BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone do a dyno run with their R before any modifications (open box, exhaust etc.)? Need to get some numbers for baseline. Since i'm still breaking mine in, I don't want to do a dyno run yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. That will give me an idea what the baseline is around I'll post when done with the mods and a subsequent dyno run.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
Raffy,

Are you going to have yours tested? If so, what are the mods you plan to do first?

I have a full Remus on mine. I'ld love to know what it actually makes. Where are you going to have yours tested?

Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to do the Evoluzione air box mod with dual the filters and Remus Titamium race exhaust system.

Will do the dyno sometime after break-in is completed and the bike has a few more miles. Probable dyno testing in Sacramento or at Modesto Ducati.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
raffyk said:
I'm going to do the Evoluzione air box mod with dual the filters and Remus Titamium race exhaust system.

Will do the dyno sometime after break-in is completed and the bike has a few more miles. Probable dyno testing in Sacramento or at Modesto Ducati.
I'ld be REAL interested in how the air box mod goes. Please keep us posted.

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will do. BillyOmaha has already done this. Check out the Accessories thread in this K1200R forum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Had a new quill titanium end can fitted on my k1200r, and dyno'd before and after, with the original can and no other mods, the bike got 145 hp at the rear wheel and with the new can managed to get an extra 5 hp at the rear wheel, pushin it up to 150 rwbhp.
Goin for the evo filters next, im hoping that the figures are correct for these things, ive heard an extra 10 hp at the rear wheel, if i can get it to 160 rwbhp ill be happy, at least until a power chip comes out :D


NM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
Let us know how it goes..

As I too have added the Evo filters to my KR as well as the Akrapovic can- tremendous improvements in both performance and sound- in fact most of the other local sport-bike guys thinks I'm riding a heavly moded GSX'r 1000 as I approach by the sound, until they see the bike of course...many raised eyebrows-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Man the K1200R is one very cool looking machine. I have a fantastic R1200ST but am seriously taken with the KR! It looks like this bike would really pull away from my St at 7000rpms and up. Not that that matters to me so much as the quality of the torque curve and what it makes and pulls like at given rpms, and the ST is a sublime riding experience, but I keep coming back to the black/yellow KR, and when I sit on one the ergonomics are tailor made for me. Yet with my handlbars all the way lowered on my ST, it too is a perfect fit.
Thanks for posting the dyno run and keep up the pictures [to entertain lurking newbie such as myself] and in the meantime I will look for pictures of the black/yellow. I had an 03 black and yellow FZ1 stolen which led to the ST purchase two months later. BMW sure does make some interesting rides. :bmw:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
faser42 said:
Man the K1200R is one very cool looking machine. I have a fantastic R1200ST but am seriously taken with the KR! It looks like this bike would really pull away from my St at 7000rpms and up. Not that that matters to me so much as the quality of the torque curve and what it makes and pulls like at given rpms, and the ST is a sublime riding experience, but I keep coming back to the black/yellow KR, and when I sit on one the ergonomics are tailor made for me. Yet with my handlbars all the way lowered on my ST, it too is a perfect fit.
Thanks for posting the dyno run and keep up the pictures [to entertain lurking newbie such as myself] and in the meantime I will look for pictures of the black/yellow. I had an 03 black and yellow FZ1 stolen which led to the ST purchase two months later. BMW sure does make some interesting rides. :bmw:
Faser,

I, too, have an ST. I'm lucky enough to have the KR as well. You'ld be surprised at how close these two are depending on the type of turn that you are taking. Overall the KR pulls much stronger on the high end but you would be surprised how close it is down low. Also since you are already in a near perfect riding position on the ST it takes very little effort to go real fast. In my opinion the KR takes a little more effort but ultimately will go faster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
"Also since you are already in a near perfect riding position on the ST it takes very little effort to go real fast. In my opinion the KR takes a little more effort but ultimately will go faster." Originally posted by nakedrider

You are indeed a very lucky person to have both an ST and a KR! I agree that the ST is very easy to ride very fast and it never feels like it is anything but doing it easily, not working too hard here, just very low key about it all---that is the ST personality---strong but smart. The KR feels slimmer and lighter and on the 10 mile test ride SJBMW willingly allowed me, I equate it's ride quality much closer to my FZ1. I am not putting a qualitative judgement value here just relating my perception. This is ofcourse very limited because all I did was ride it on the freeway. Is the weelbase longer than the ST? How about the real weight? BTW is there any storage well under the seat? I never got more than 4000 miles on my FZ rear tire, 6000 plus on my ST! And 40+ mpg on the ST, about 35 on the FZ!. Now that I think about it when I rode the K1200R I was very impressed with two things, the inherent smoothness of the engine and SERIOUS POWER, everywhere, including, as you say down low.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
faser42 said:
"Also since you are already in a near perfect riding position on the ST it takes very little effort to go real fast. In my opinion the KR takes a little more effort but ultimately will go faster." Originally posted by nakedrider

You are indeed a very lucky person to have both an ST and a KR! I agree that the ST is very easy to ride very fast and it never feels like it is anything but doing it easily, not working too hard here, just very low key about it all---that is the ST personality---strong but smart. The KR feels slimmer and lighter and on the 10 mile test ride SJBMW willingly allowed me, I equate it's ride quality much closer to my FZ1. I am not putting a qualitative judgement value here just relating my perception. This is ofcourse very limited because all I did was ride it on the freeway. Is the weelbase longer than the ST? How about the real weight? BTW is there any storage well under the seat? I never got more than 4000 miles on my FZ rear tire, 6000 plus on my ST! And 40+ mpg on the ST, about 35 on the FZ!. Now that I think about it when I rode the K1200R I was very impressed with two things, the inherent smoothness of the engine and SERIOUS POWER, everywhere, including, as you say down low.
The weight is about the same the way I have things set up. My K1200R doesn't have ABS, ESA or a center stand. I also have a full Remus Ti exhaust. All things considered the bike is probably about 515 wet. My GS and ST are probably within 10 lbs of that.

The KR is a long bike. You feel it somewhat in the turns but it also adds a level of stability. I like the KRs front end compared to the ST when you are REALLY pushing it hard in a turn. It's very good for your confidence. The ST is just a bit soft and would probably feel stiffer if it also had a damper.

I also tried the FZ on a test ride. Great bike with a near perfect windshield for me. I don't think you'll get 6,000 from the tires on the KR. I'm hoping for 3,000 but I've got fairly sticky rubber - Metzellers. People are telling me they will be shot after 2,000 miles. We'll see. They are just a little more sticky than the BT-014s that I love so much.

Not much storage under the seat. I won't even take their supplement tool kit. I get about mid to high 30s for the milage on the KR. For the ST I'm getting 47 to 52.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Local guy. Motorcycle Machining Specialist, his name is Karl Ellenberger and he is well known for building engines and dyno tuning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,933 Posts
Heheh... I'm very keen on the airbox mod too. The first time I rode the K1200R, I likened it to riding my 'ole GSX-R1000, but pissed off... :teeth
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I did!

We ran on a Dynostar dyno. Second run was 153.1 rwhp @9696 rpm and 94-lb-ft torque. First run was 151.8 @9620 rpm and 93 ft-lbs torque. Temperatures were 57.7 degrees and 57.3 degrees. Run times wer 10:03:03 AM and 10:01:42 AM, air pressure was 29.87 and 29.86 respectively.

Air fuel ratio was 18.0 at 3200-3500 rpm and tapered off to 11.8 around 9500 rpm starting the big drop around 7000 rpm and on.

The dyno runs were in 6th gear and the max speed was around 175 mph.

I'll have to take a picture of the sheet and post it in. Do not have a scanner.
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top