BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know BMW's part number for the European Spec. K1200S's rear light? It's the OEM rear light with a clear lens underneath that acts as an integrated plate light.

Separate Plate Light:

In Canada, K1200S's and R's are fitted with a rear light that has the plate lens blacked out. Instead of an integrated plate light, our bikes are fitted with a separate plate light mounted to a (US) License Plate Holder attached to the tail. I believe it's the same setup in the USA.

Identical Part Numbers:

BMW Canada lists two part numbers for the rear light: the Canada or "ECU" Spec. as 7678803 and the USA Spec. as 7680762. BMW Canada lists the "ECU" Spec. part number 7678803 as the light fitted to bikes in Canada. In Canada, "ECU" Spec. does not mean European Spec.

Online Parts Fiche:

The online parts fiche of Max BMW Motorcycles lists the US Spec. light as part number63217680762. RealOEM.COM's parts fiche lists parts for both European and USA Spec. bikes: European spec. use part number 63217678803, and USA spec. use part number63217680762. Other than the first four digits, the numbers match BMW Canada's numbers. BMW Canada and USA appear to use different numbers for the same part.

Help!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Rusty, the Service Manager at John Valk BMW has kindly ordered both part numbers from BMW Canada. And we will see if one is the European spec. light.

My winter project is to eliminate the US Plate Holder completely and mount my Number Plate in the same fashion as the European bikes. I'm currently using Evoluzione cyclesports "License Plate Relocator" but it is not a perfect solution. British Columbia motorcycle plates are larger than the plates used in the USA but smaller than the European plates. I'm hoping that by mounting the plate directly to the tail I've found a more elegant solution.

Regards,

Bruce

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've clipped photos of the two versions of the rear light:

The ECU Version with integrated plate light (clear lens):

The USA/ Canadian Version with blacked-out plate lens:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ECU Rear Plate

I've clipped photos of the custom mount I fabricated from a scrapped engine spoiler.

The custom mount for the BC Number Plate:

The rear tail of my K1200S:

Custom mount attached to the tail:

Another view of the mount:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts