BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, has anyone done any kind of ECU upgrade to their K1300GT bikes? If so what were the results in terms of horsepower and torque numbers? Has it affected the fuel consumption at all? Any problems with the idle? Which company did the upgrade? I don't take my bike to the race track, neither do I do canyon carving. Due to the fact that I have add-on improvements (akrapovic pipe, K&N air filter), it's running lean, has lost a lot of power low to mid range, and gained a lot of top end power. The bikes has always been maintained at a BMW dealer and is in perfect conditions. Even the BMW mechanic recommended to get the upgrade which surprised me. Unfortunately they don't offer any other than the stock program.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have one installed on your bike? If so, what were the gains that you noticed in terms of torque, horsepower and fuel economy? Are there any downsides to it?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Sorry for the length of time for a reply.
mpg about the same
main thing was to get rid of bogging/flat spot at 2800 to 3200 rpm. it was a hey engine room I need full power
and the reply was we still need to fire up the boiler.
Now it responds like it should, plus shimmed out the throttle restrictor solenoid so 1st and 2nd gear will now get full throttle.

·
Registered
86 Posts
watching this guy do his own software update on a K1300S with readily available copies of the dealer tool - he's taking the bike from original software version Feb 2009 to Feb 2014

On his K1300S I note, his bike doesn't have ABS and he mentions he's really trying to update the engine software from the old map that's a bit rough to a newer version which he does successfully - he was on the old 2009 (European spec) part number for the engine map 7722977 and by 2014 there was a later better version 8522590

Not sure what you guys in the states know about BMs, but they hate to improve vehicles (only wanting to sell you a new one) and will swear there is no way to update cars or bikes. Its all a lie and with BM its really simple being a one stop shop, you just plug it in update the whole vehicle in one go.... 17 minutes plus fiddling at start and finish...

Anyway, my K1300GT was allegedly updated this year when I bought it as they added the original alarm module so had to code it to the bike when they sold to me as an approved used vehicle. I have paper work showing my I level is K24 17-07-500. K44 bikes use K24 software, the code means it was updated using a July 2017 software release.

the point is my mate has the same bike and his was properly updated and his engine map shows the part number from an I level update in June 2014 being 08522505 whereas mine is 07722566

which I suspect means my 2010 bike is on its original and not so good map, which it shouldn't be !

I also want to know how to programme the cruise control so I can set at a slower speed, it only sets from 33mph whereas later bikes (current GS LC range) can set at anything from 8mph upwards. With speed bumps and 20 mph speed limits it would be good to be able to start from at least 20mph - anyone here done this?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Botus:

I've been experimenting with similar BMW update software on my E46 car, since I am in the process of replacing a faulty ABS module and will need to recode a replacement unit to my car.

Interesting that this can be done with the KGT too. Last year I installed a replacement, used, ZFE module to fix an ESA error. This worked fine, and everything is working, but when I run my GS911 diagnostics I see that the level on the replacement ZFE differs slightly from the factory installed level and always wanted to correct that.

If I ever get the time, I may try to get the BMW software working for my KGT, but i suspect the gains won't be worth the effort.

My thinking is that unless we can "persuade" a BMW technician to go rogue and help with using the BMW software (anonymously) we will be stumbling around for a long time.

·
Registered
86 Posts
the BMW software for the cars and bikes is exactly the same. Its all over the internet and readily downloadable

if you have the round diagnostic cable and a good OBD11 Adaptor and an android phone you can see what's going on with the bike free here:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https://www.motoscan.de/&edit-text=&act=url

or pay and get some basic coding done (TPMS replacement) for much less than a GS 911

ABS errors are intentionally designed in faults...

lots of videos how to fix yourself. Early days (cars or bikes) it was the wires from the mutliplug to the circuit board, you re do with a paper clip and now with the ESP motor to build pressure BM set the brush guides too tight so by 5 to 7 years enough gunk has built up to make them stick. Where its fitted on the K1300GT one could just drill a hole and squirt in contact cleaner...
or pull apart and do it properly

·
Registered
17 Posts
Joining in a bit late to this thread...

My 2009 K13GT has terrible hesitation on hard acceleration. I've improved it quite a lot with mixture enrichment using an AF XIED device, but when I add enough fuel to improve the hesitation I significantly reduce fuel economy, suggesting it's a bit too rich on cruise. (It's had enough time for the BMW computer to adjust it's long term settings)

Should I:
a) Go to a dealer and try to persuade them to update the fuel map to a more recent one? (I don't know what I have).
b) Find some software to do that myself? I don't have an android phone, so what's available? Do I need GS911?
c) Forget about the BMW map and get a power commander.
d) Somthing else?

What do you guys recommend?
Thanks!
Doug

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just realised dealers have ability to lie about updates and code the bike to say its been done without actually improving your bike!

Your dealer should be running at least this version of the BMW software tool ISTA P 64.0.600
Having had my bike updated this week from "allegedly" i-level K024-17-07-500 to K024-18-03-500 by a competent garage, I can see they really did a full i-level update. And a load of updates were actually put on the bike this time. The most notable change is the engine map, its so much smoother its like its been on a dyno with a power commander fitted.

The one bit they confirmed doesn't happen is the ABS never gets written too. Which is odd but you never see it show up in the tool (check youtube videos). Tech said you can't write to this module, but you can on the S1000R bikes. I remain perplexed by this as a third party BM coding tool shows there is an update from 7715107 to 7711978 ...maybe that's the software version that turns off the deigned to fail features of the ABS module !!!

Back to pretending to do an i-level update. The modules on my bike still had ones with software from the build in 2010. Now this week I get some updated to later stuff (which should all have happened with i-level change last year but never did). The whole point of an i-level is "integration", as in all software applied to currently available compatible versions.

I know have

DME (engine map) was 7722997 now 8522622
ZFE (main chassis electronics) was 7720229 now 8394897
DWA/RDC (alarm and TPMS) only fitted last year so will be later than most was 8544716 and remains on 8544716
KOMBI (instrument cluster) was 7726457 now 8520042

Not sure the benefits on others aside from DME, but will be stuff like minor bug fix for faults you may not see, tyre pressure accuracy, MPG calculations, service reminder and maybe enhanced diagnostics capability.

Every BMW owner should nag for these updates ... it should only cost you about an hours labour and should improve functionality and reliability of your bike

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
I may be wrong, but I doubt that BMW has updated the firmware for my 2007 K1200GT in many years. They may install the latest update, but none of the code on my K1200GT will change.

·
Registered
86 Posts
just re read your post. Its possible there is NOTHING newer. They don't continually fix stuff. There will be a window where the bike is still in production and thus improvements may be found. There will also be fixes for later security and most likely safety related faults, especially if the same components or similar software continues to be used on new models and they find issues.

However after a while say 5 years its unlikely anything new will become available. The way BMW operate is they continue to review if its all current best available and where nothing changes the I-level will go up but the software provided each time remains constant. Thus they release new dealer updates and new iterations but what a given bike gets remains stable (once its up to current standard).

But you must realise its highly unlikely ANY software updates were applied to any vehicles and you probably have old rubbish when for many years better software was available.

My two are exactly like this... The GT is as above, on the GS I asked about odd engine behaviour more than 8 years ago, only to be told no they don't do this... when actually they always did. They just lied. The GS was done for first time since Jan 2008 this year. And although they claimed to have done the i-level on the GT last September, they did NOTHIG. So this bike actually got its first ever software updates since its build in Oct 2009

after the next bit is the massive list of fixes which I bet 90% of pre 2007 air cooled GS' never had.

If you do know what you have and that newer stuff is available, yet if nothing changes they are lying and not doing anything to your bike.

When there are updated and they are applied of course the numbers change... the info I gave is effectively the "part number" of the software applied

NO BMW dealer on the cars in the UK EVER applies updates to improve a vehicle... they ONLY put on the update if they do maintenance work and the procedure specifically states the update MUST be applied.

I had a 335d and got it done... they fought like hell to stop me. Tried to cancel the booking on the phone three times. Took me in a room when I got there with service manager and the master tech to say don't do this. Threatened me with multiple thousands of pounds of bills if any safety related ECU dies during the procedure and that they will NOT allow me to have the car back till a brand new (safety related) ECU had been fitted. I said just get on with it... They went away, an hour later came back with print out to prove none of this was necessary. I said get on with it.

One hours labour charge later (its only 45 mins worth of effort on the cars, just need to drink tea for 3 hours!!!) the auto gearbox was transformed from a bag of nails to super smooth proper auto, the engine went from gutless bland mr average to silly top end lunacy (felt like had 20% more go from 3k), the MPG went up 3 to the gallon (4 in usa world) the sat nav got some secret files / firmware updates, the vehicle diagnostics went from old to current std and probably a load of BT security fixes. They had three pages of stuff showing what was updated but they would let me see it or have a copy.

Then they admitted had only ever done the procedure to one other customer car. This is one of biggest dealers around that sell at least 40 new BM cars a week.

I think the world is changing, as more and more stuff runs on electronics and its becoming std that software updates need to be applied regularly. In fact BMW just awarded their first ever security thank you award to a group of white hat hackers that found and helped fix something like 50 serious security flaws on BM infotainment systems

R1200 air cooled bike updates :

R-Series

DME (engine management)
Series-specific program and data status modifications/enhancements and bug fixes:
Applies to all R-series models:
-Improves the sensitivity of knock control
-Rectifies the "acceleration pinging" situation that has given rise to customer complaints (..... mine does this like crazy around 6300 on full chat on a hot day)

Model specific R 1200 GS (K25, type code numbers 0307 and 0317) with optional extra "On-board computer" (option code 539):
-Revision of fuel-level reading/ fuel-level characteristic.

-Fault-code entry as soon as short circuit is detected at pin 57 of plug J1 (radio supply) with status "ignition OFF" and radio switched on.
Applies to motorcycles with construction status as of production interruption 2007 (model year 2008).

ZFE (chassis)
-Optimized computation of fuel-level readout, including valuation of the CAN signals "side-stand switch" and "quantity of fuel injected".

Kombi (instruments)
-Correction of flash-code frequency for odometer reading from 0.1 Hz to 1Hz if there is a difference between the odometer readings stored in the instrument panel control unit and the BMS-KP.
-Average consumption increased continuously after 3700mi. (without RESET).

RDC (TPMS)
Modification of self-diagnostics (diagnostics functionality):
-Correction to fault code memory entry which is issued when there is
an incorrect road-speed signal. The frequency counter is now reset
when a valid road-speed signal is sent.
Optimization of the tire pressure monitoring readout (RDC) in the instrument panel.

DWA (alarm, oddly linked to RDC)
-Optimization of the tire pressure monitoring readout in the instrument panel.

DME (engine management)
on an even later update
New BMS-KP data releases for all R series models
Review of cold start behaviour and stepper activation for improved idling.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Here is another comment I would like to add:

I have been told that you can apply only a limited number of firmware updates to your BMW motorcycle (at least for my 2007 K1200GT) before the circuit board must be replaced. I do not claim to fully understand the issue, but I learned it many years ago.

There are a lot of details that I do not know, such as whether the limit is affected if you apply an update but nothing changes.

The whole thing could be a myth, but I heard it from several sources over the years.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yes its true

I recollect somewhere its shows how many times its been done and how many left. I doubt it dies it probably just won't accept another write session so "stays" on the last version it got.

three key things here

1) they never update anything so you will still have write sessions left when the bike's dead and buried, and newer better safer software is always going to be a better approach than having 3 write sessions unused when its scrapped?
2) all none volatile memory chips have finite life. As they should want it to last a long time they probably limit it as belt and braces approach... but then all vehicles now are designed with x many years of life expectancy anyway so it will get you exactly when that designed it too, regardless of how many updates you got
3) I forget exactly but maybe you get 4 on the engine (or was it 10). Its pretty low and shows up in the print out they can do, but hate to show.

·
Registered
86 Posts
as above had my bike updated to I-level K024-18-03-500,

ITS NOW GOT SELF CANCELLING INDICATORS :grin (turn signal for you guys... seems distance related, 33 flashes round town and 21 on motorway)

DME (engine map) was 7722997 now 8522622
ZFE (main chassis electronics) was 7720229 now 8394897
DWA/RDC (alarm and TPMS) only fitted last year so will be later than most was 8544716 and remains on 8544716
KOMBI (instrument cluster) was 7726457 now 8520042

·
Registered
2 Posts
Going way back to the original post. They have the Power Commander on sale for 212.00 at Sport Bike Track Gear. For that money, it may be worth a try?

·
Registered
86 Posts
they never officially did a (power commander) PCV for the GT, however I expect it will be fine and work.
I double checked the other day... for the S and the R the 1300 only gets fueling adjustment. If it had been one of the models where the ignition could be played with as well I'd have got one.

I actually have a spare booster plug which will go straight on. But need to remove the fuel tank to get at air intake temp connector. I told a mate with his GT about it a year back and he was suspicious really believing its all mumbo jumbo but got hold of a second hand one and is very happy with it.

On that front, just this week we were discussing how the 13GT seems so keen to jump to closed loop and run too lean for round town work. According to the guy making the most common booster plug, many bikes don't go closed loop until above 4k (which then entails the overly lean / rough running / bad throttle response behaviour than makes town work awkward on a bike). This is because the lambda sensor isn't getting a stable enough reading for long enough to interfere... (when it believes it knows best). Its the delay or not switching (to closed loop) with low revs / changing throttle position that allows a booster plug to richen the mixture making for smother progress, then have no impact past 4k as the lambda then takes control.

However on a std K13GT bike I believe the closed loop is cutting in very early and very quickly. When stationary, I can't hold constant revs ever, if you try at any speed within half a second the bike drops the revs and you have to reapply more throttle, then back off as it goes back past where you are trying to hold it (on off etc.)... I think this is where the bike is going closed loop. I asked my mate if he has the same thing and he knows the point and agrees they do it all the time... but on his bike now with the booster plug, he says its reduced the effect a little

which begs the question, if disconnecting the lambda senor doesn't cause a limp mode condition, it would be nice to see how much better the bike rides just using the BM map (without interference from an overly zealous lambda sensor)

As for the booster plug, mate says his bike frequently flashes the traction light in the dry with a warm tyre.... something it never managed before he fitted the plug and its much nicer to ride. (he's had the bike 4 years)

I was speaking to the guy who had UK franchise on power commander and he was say this is really old hat and reflash is the right way forward... I don't get why these guys don't do BMs yet but they seem to be one of the most knowledgeable / respected companies writing decent mapping for bikes
http://www.woolichracing.co.uk/products.aspx

1 - 18 of 18 Posts