BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Edge traps!

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  aj7840 
#1 · (Edited)
Here in the Chicago area, we've been contending with major road construction all summer. Both I-294 and the Edens Expressway, the two major North-South routes, are or have been almost completely redone, complete with bridge reconstruction. I can't imagine how these projects have been permitted to happen simultaneously, but that's another matter.

In any event, I was traveling northbound on the Edens Expressway today. All three lanes have received one layer of new asphalt. Now, here's the problem: the left and middle lanes have also received what appears to be the second and final layer of asphalt, but the right lane hasn't, creating a potential "edge trap" for motorcycles trying to change from the right lane to either the center or left lanes.

The height of this final layer appears to be about 1.5 to 2 inches high. I was in my car, so I intentionally drove over it to try to judge the height and the effect on my tires. I could definitely feel the "ridge" as I crossed it.

Here's my question: does anyone but me think it's crazy for IDOT (IL Dept. of Transportation) to have allowed this to happen, even on a temporary basis? It seems to me that it is potentially very dangerous for unsuspecting motorcycle riders, especially after dark. And given the upcoming H-D celebration in Milwaukee this weekend, I have seen dozens of bikes riding on the expressway.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on the subject. I'd even consider contacting IDOT or the Illinois State Police if most here agree with my concern.

See less See more
#3 ·
Every time I've encountered these things the DOT puts up signs warning
bikes.

I wouldn't worry a lot about the Harley thing though, most of them will be
on trailers. :teeth

#4 ·
I'm also in Chicago and know what you mean. The Edens has been a pain. I have never, ever seen a warning sign on any of our expressways for motorcycles and the 'lane ridges'. Considering one or more are under construction every year I think I would remember.
I usually try go over to the far side of the lane I'm in and then sort of swing over onto the ridge, kind of an almost turn. Trying to just roll on up doesn't seem to work too well.
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about the H-D's either. They usually have enough dead weight in the center to stay up.

#6 ·
they do seem dangerous especially without warning. near my house they have been working on a stretch of major highway and have no warning signs up. the changes in levels is not as extreme as you describe, but they also have been removing asphalt and it creates these "grooves." as you ride over them you bike wobbles back and forth. scary the first couple of times riding over them, but now i know what to expect. it has a huge impact on handle if you needed to take emergency maneuvers.

speaking of snakes, i almost ate it this weekend when i went around a tight turn and my rear washed out for a second, caught traction, then violently went from side to side. almost crapped my pants, but managed to stay in the turn on the pavement. i guess i was going wayyyyy faster than the posted speed limit. :wtf:

#7 ·
Same thing happened to me a few yrs back on the yammie FZ1, was hauling down the on ramp to I-95 entrance in baltimore, new ashphalt was so black you couldn't see the 2" difference in height! I knew it was new pavement but no signs warning of the ridge.

Caught me totally unaware but managed to slide over it without incident....somehow. :yeow:

Worse tar snakes ever...east coast of lower MI heading up to the bridge, a frogchoker hits us, half the road was tar snakes, had the SO on the back of the K1200LT, no place to stop (except in the forest), very scary ride.

#8 ·
ldbikin said:
Worse tar snakes ever...east coast of lower MI heading up to the bridge, a frogchoker hits us, half the road was tar snakes, had the SO on the back of the K1200LT, no place to stop (except in the forest), very scary ride.
No No not the east coast of lower MI, ALL of MI,
That's why we produced so many good flat trackers like Springsteen, Parker, et al, when your sliding all the time, the next step is to just pitch it side ways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.