BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I’m trying to install a strobe light on my K1200gt.
I need a 12v signal to set it on.
First choice, obviously, is the brake light cable, bus it has 2,6v for the position light and then, when brake lever is pressed, the 12v I need.
The problem is that the strobe flashes with the 2,6v of the position light, so it’s constantly on.

Tried with several relays. They work when brake in on, but they go crazy with the 2,6v.

Any ideas?

I'm attaching the light I'm using.

Thanks!

Andrés
from Chile

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
I think you want a bright flashing brake light, right? If so, you need a special Canbus-friendly flashing brake light for your K1200GT. An ordinary LED brake light accessory will not work.

That is because the brake light on your K1200GT does not operate like other brake lights. The brake light on your K1200GT uses on/off pulses of electricity. The pulses are shorter or less frequent when the running light is on; the pulses are longer or more frequent when the brighter brake light is on. You need a special brake light that can recognize when the brake light pulses are happening or not.

Because the brake light works with pulses of electricity, you will be confused by the voltage readings from a standard voltmeter.

If the brake light accessory does not say "Works with BMW Motorcycles" or "Canbus friendly" or something like that, then it probably will not work on your K1200GT, so sorry.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You will need to feed the running portion (always on) of the light from the battery, and tap to the “brake on” tail light to feed the flasher portion of the light.

I gave up trying to find LED bulbs that work with the tail. I got something similar, a license plate with lights that indicate braking with accelerometers, for the main reason that with the BMW canbus, you need to feed it from a straight 12v source anyway. I will be installing it this weekend.

Good luck if you find any compatible ones, pls do let me know.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
I have bought several items from Pirate's Lair, but not a brake light. Still, I highly recommend them for their long term support of BMW motorcycles. You will find two different LED brake light solutions on this web page. Look for "Signal Dynamics LED License Plate Frame" and also "Lite Blazer License Plate Frame" here:

Pirates' Lair: Aftermarket, Custom, and Performance MC Accessories for the BMW K1200GT / K1300GT

A quick web search for "2006 K1200GT LED Brake Lights Canbus" yielded additional good results, and that was without really trying. I suggest trying variants of my search string to get more results.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yep. I was referring giving up on LED bulbs to work with the tail light. LED bulbs for the signals worked just fine. I did see the pirates lair options, but for 10 bucks more I’ll give the Vololights a chance, since it detects any slow down in speed and is adjustable, and saw no bad reviews.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Brake Light convertor

I built one of these 2 years ago and it works fantastic. If you can read the schematic or have someone help you. It was easy to soldier. Works great, easy to install.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts