BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fuck. My. Life. Bike's been sitting for about a month, went to start it, but the battery was dead. I got my battery jump starter charged and hook up, and went to start the bike. The bike started, but as soon as I disconnected the battery jump starter it died. Did this several times, and then I noticed the smell of burning plastic, and found the smoke coming from underneath the seat.

I'll investigate soon, but I'm dropping this here for now in case anyone has obvious ideas of what it could be.

I swear.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fun.

Is there an easy replacement, or is this going to be the usual reverse-engineer bullshit and/or expensive replacement of the whole unit?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm disastrously familiar with opening the bike up and getting to it, but what do I have to replace? The whole alternator, or just the diode?

·
Premium Member
two K1300S bikes, S1000R & Vespa 150 Primavera clown paint job
1,408 Posts
Less than 100 bucks, not bad as Uncle Roger says.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Less than 100 bucks, not bad as Uncle Roger says.
It's made in Japan! No wonder this is a reliable component... unless you stick a lithium battery charger thing on it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
There's A clean, meticulously maintained K Bike Well done Douglas! Nothing better than seeing clean Copper Windings of the Alternator! Especially the first thing in the morning!
Thank you Bradmiester (y) I keep my bike and my Corvettes meticulously maintained. My friends say I'm a little obsessive compulsive about it LOL

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Sky

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Car Automotive parking light Vehicle Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
New Alternator did it!

There are little rubber gummybear things that the alternator interfaces with. They come in pairs held together at the base by a little blip. Anyway, those disconnected and made putting the alternator in a bit of a hassle, but it ended up working out.

Bike fired right up and immediately began charging. lesson learned: don't use a car jump starter on these bikes, or if ABSOLUTELY have to, disconnect it as soon as the bike is running.

Reactions: Beech

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was going to add that! I leave a battery tender attached to my k12s permanently. At 74yo I can do that as i don’t drive the bike everyday as much as i once did. My 2 seater car with top down has replaced a lot of biking!
Considering the tiny battery, i felt the tender was good insurance and battery life extender. it’s wired with a quick disconnect directly to the battery terminals. Plus the same circuit is a handy way to bypass the canbuss for any extras like a heated vest or nav system. glad your life is not F’d although it can sure feel that way sometimes! Just dropped my car off at a shop for replacement of a transmission circuit board and now I am riding again full time for a few days but It’s Sum Sum Summer time!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it! I think it's so ridiculous that vehicle drain themselves when turned off, I stubbornly refuse to hook any vehicle up to a battery tender!

My speedometer is now broken, but that's a whole different issue (because there always has to be something)

·
Premium Member
two K1300S bikes, S1000R & Vespa 150 Primavera clown paint job
1,408 Posts
BMW bikes eat batteries much more than Harley's. If you don't ride at least every three days, look out.

·
Registered
K1300GT SE / GSX1400 / LRD4
222 Posts
BMW bikes eat batteries much more than Harley's. If you don't ride at least every three days, look out.
Not sure about that, when replacing my shocks, bike was not started for close to 6 weeks, maybe more. Battery sat on my work bench not on a charger. Bike fired up first go. Tbh I was more worried re the cam chain tensioner and lack of oil, but turns out my K1300GT has the upgraded hydraulic tensioner fitted (top hat design). Since back together, I ride maybe 2-3times in a row in a week then it gets parked up for a week. Starts first time everytime. Battery is the odyssey orange one and is about 3yo. I think.

·
Premium Member
2015 K1300S Motosport Edition
147 Posts
I have used Battery Tenders on cycles and generators for years with no problem. I have an older BMW battery charger that is just a re-badged Battery Tender. My cycle will sit for months without running long enough for the battery to recover. I have heard somewhere that it takes about 15 minutes of run time for the battery to recover from a start. I guess different people have different levels of success with various chargers.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ever since I put an EarthX lithium battery in mine, I’ve not had to worry about letting it sit. Mine sits for many months and still starts on the first try. Best $350 I ever spent and it cured my hot start issues without the hassle and expense of doing the wire upgrade from BMW.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts