BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I just picked up my K12RS yesterday. Having come from a ducati Sport classic 1000s, this thing is a dream! Rode to the dealer 80 miles on the ducati and was sore. The 80 mile ride home was wonderful on the K.

The bike has a two brothers exhaust on it already. From what I have read on this forum, typically a chip is needed for the motor to run correctly with this exhaust. The bike runs very well. My question is how can I tell if the bike has been chipped? How can I tell what chip has been installed? I assume this is a chip replacement and not a software upgrade?

Thanks!

·
Registered
109 Posts
New Bikes

My first suggestion would be to disconnect the battery over night to reset the computer. These bikes " learn " your riding style, adjusting throttle response and the general "feel" of the engine depending mainly on your riding habits. I bought a used K1200R with an Arrow exhaust and rode 2500 km's before figuring this out! What a difference when it started to run for me instead of the last guy! If I am correct, the computer will adapt to the new variables of the aftermarket can as well when you "reset" it. As far as chips and what-not I am only aware of plug and play type units available for the K's. I think they would be very obvious as the usually plug in-line into the wiring harness somewhere. Booster plug ( http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20848&highlight=chip ) is one option that tricks your bike into thinking it needs a rich mixture and others like Power-commander you are able to do custom maps. All of which are plug-in style units that **should** be very visable. The Booster Plug website should show you where they are installed and from there you could have a look on your bike to see if you have it. I wish I had a power commander on my bike, but that little voice inside my head says 160HP is plenty.... not sure why though..... Oh, and welcome to the odd world of BMW K-Bikes!

Jerome

·
Registered
518 Posts
Jeromy said:
My first suggestion would be to disconnect the battery over night to reset the computer. These bikes " learn " your riding style, adjusting throttle response and the general "feel" of the engine depending mainly on your riding habits. [...]
Is this true of the R alone or other K bikes, too?

·
Registered
513 Posts
My 2004 K1200RS with Remus Exhaust would run very fat at idle. lots of gasoline smell at idle.
I put a chip in after 36,000 miles and the smell of gas is not as bad but still there at idle.

To be sure what chip you have in there you will need to remove the cover for the ECU under the fuel tank, and look at the little chip. my orginal chip just has a silver piece of tape on the chip. no numbers or letters.

·
Registered
109 Posts
RBEmerson said:
Is this true of the R alone or other K bikes, too?
My memory tells me that this is true of all 3 K-bikes; R,S, and GT. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.... but I'm pretty sure they have the same computer essentially, just with different mapping.

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
Not quite. There are at least two printed board variations possibly more. The two I am thinking about could use either a very old chip which is difficult to find and program, or a newer type which can be re-programmed more easily if you can get the code dumps. The aftermarket chip sellers are the best to talk to about this.

First you have to break the seal around the lid of the ECU to get it off, it's quite tricky so be patient. Then you need to look at the actual chip number. I have never really worked out a relationship between BMW part numbers and what part numbers may by on the chip. The only sure way is to dump the code and read their header - I think Moditec does that over the diags port. But if you have the older chip it's not so easy finding affordable reader/writers for it.

Their chips certainly do have code sections for different KRS horsepowers, can't remember about the models so something else in firmware must be telling the ECU which section of the code map to use. I think the bike has model type and frame serial numbers which the dealer Moditec can read out and this could be how they link to the right map.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I will try the battery disconnect this week to see how that works. Will then look at the ECU under the tank. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Actually my understanding is, NO, these models do not learn as you ride. That is for the R, S, and GT of the new versions. See Voxmagna's notes on determining the chip you may or may not have. Not sure how the others do it, but Rhinewest provides a waferboard that plugs into the CPU where the stock chip resides, then their chip(s) plug into that board. I have had their chip when it first came out, and really enjoyed it. As noted, you need the numbers off your existing chip to be sure you get the right aftermarket chip, though if you get the wrong one, it simply will NOT RUN, I was told. Rhinewest (and I assume the other chip marketers) have dyno charts on its performance compared to stock, stock chip with Remus, Rhinewest chip with stock exhaust, then Rhinewest with Remus...maybe even more comparos now. I upgraded to the Cam Gear kit which is new cam gears and a new chip. Way better HP and Loads more torque. BUT, at the time I got it it was only for the stock pipe, which is great for me. I ride 4 hours at a time twice a day each week and most after market pipes are too much for that continuous riding.
For disconnecting the battery....be sure to reset your throttle position sensor by turning the key on without starting, roll to full throttle three times, turn the key off. This calibrates the sensor to what full throttle is. Those instructions came with my Rhinewest chips and said you need to do this everytime you disconnect the battery.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Is that only for Rhinewest or does that apply to "box stock", too?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was going to do this stuff this weekend and I think I will just pull the ECU cover to see what chip I have.

·
Addict
3,750 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
FYI.... The stock chip is just that.. a chip plugged into the factory motronic box.. The Rhinewest Chip is a 2 piece deal.. It comes with a board that plugs onto the motronic box and then the chip rides on top of that...

For what it's worth.. while the RW chip was designed to be used with the factory exhaust.. it works very well with most aftermarket pipes.. and actually delivers the most power when used with the Two Brothers exhaust, which BTW has been discontinued.

As of today... there are only limited RW chips available. Once the run out of parts they are not going to produce any more... They already discontinued the K1200RS cam kits and those ROCKED!.

Lastly.. any time you change hardware on the 98-2004 K1200RS or any of the new series BMW 4's ... you should disconnect the battery for at least 4 hours AND do a throttle reset which consists of the following...

1. Turn the key to the run position without starting the engine.
2. Twist the throttle 2 or 3 times through the full range.
3. Turn key off
4. Kick wife's cat. (optional)

davek12rs said:
I was going to do this stuff this weekend and I think I will just pull the ECU cover to see what chip I have.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts