BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. 2009 K1300GT. Twist throttle and release. Accelerates ok but then when the revs drop to 1950 rpm, the engine momentarily stays at that rpm then slowly reduces to idle. Happens with clutch in or out. Annoying when doing city riding.
Any thoughts?

Colin

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
460 Posts
Was your bike updated to the latest software for the idle issue? The latest version does this to keep the bike from stalling when coming to a stop.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was your bike updated to the latest software for the idle issue? The latest version does this to keep the bike from stalling when coming to a stop.
Yes. Updated software. Never had the stalling issues or rough running.. only the hot start issue There was an update with cabling for starting which was done under warranty (only to bikes which exhibited hot start issues). but that did not solve the problem. I fixed it with an Odyssy battery - PC680 Extreme.

This fast idling forces me to use the clutch more to disengage so I can come to a stop instead of using the engine braking down to 1100 rpm.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It happens to me sometimes when the engine is very hot (K1200gt 2007). I'd love to have a solution for that.
When did this sofware update was issued?

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
460 Posts
It happens to me sometimes when the engine is very hot (K1200gt 2007). I'd love to have a solution for that.
When did this sofware update was issued?
I think the best thing to do for a 2007 is to have the dealer update to the latest software for the bike. The fueling issue update was issued over four years ago I think.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R & 2021 Vespa Primavera clown paint job
679 Posts
Aundres, the software to pause the engine at 1800 rpm on its way to idle for for a second was in 2009. Along with new air boxes so the idle air valve would not jam and cause even higher idle rpm issues. In this case the 1800 zone seems to be lasting a long time not one second or fraction of. Makes me wonder if it is a dirty idle air valve. But the stall at stop was a common issue and the software up date really helped. My bike was night and day after the up date. And the new air box completely solved the high rpm issue.

Reactions: Calypso

·
Registered
47 Posts
Aundres, the software to pause the engine at 1800 rpm on its way to idle for for a second was in 2009. Along with new air boxes so the idle air valve would not jam and cause even higher idle rpm issues. In this case the 1800 zone seems to be lasting a long time not one second or fraction of. Makes me wonder if it is a dirty idle air valve. But the stall at stop was a common issue and the software up date really helped. My bike was night and day after the up date. And the new air box completely solved the high rpm issue.
View attachment 28849 View attachment 28850

Thanks!!! I'll ask the dealer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Meanwhile, a workaround I learned at the local dealer, which has worked every time for me: When the bike starts doing this, pull over and switch off the bike. Wait a couple of minutes for all the electronics to finish, then turn the ignition on but don't start it. With the ignition on roll the throttle from the off position to wide open five times in a row, then turn off the ignition. Wait a couple of minutes, then turn on as normal and the bike should run fine. At least it has for me every time I've done it.

It may well be throwing virgins into the volcano, and the only thing that I'm doing is resting the bike for 5 minutes and it resets itself, but hey, if it works for me I'll keep doing it.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Meanwhile, a workaround I learned at the local dealer, which has worked every time for me: When the bike starts doing this, pull over and switch off the bike. Wait a couple of minutes for all the electronics to finish, then turn the ignition on but don't start it. With the ignition on roll the throttle from the off position to wide open five times in a row, then turn off the ignition. Wait a couple of minutes, then turn on as normal and the bike should run fine. At least it has for me every time I've done it.

It may well be throwing virgins into the volcano, and the only thing that I'm doing is resting the bike for 5 minutes and it resets itself, but hey, if it works for me I'll keep doing it.
I will confirm that this "work around" does help. I have had the fast idle problem since I got the bike second hand. I did the airbag change myself. I don't know if I have the latest software update, but suspect that I do....

After a long ride in hot weather the high idle is horrible and makes my bike almost dangerous. I did find that stopping, shutting off and resetting the throttle range helps. Not sure how long the work around lasts but it did get me home alive when after a very long hot day of riding to NY I was stuck on the George Washington Bridge and considered driving off the bridge.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts