BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My state requires that the engine number be included when applying for a vehicle title.
Because my engine number has 19 digits, the Dept. of Motorvehicles is telling me that the engine number is incorrect. The bike is a 91 K100RS and the eng. number is MBM098745M73990XXXX. Can anyone decifer it?

·
Registered
440 Posts
"Beginning in 1981, all vehicle manufacturers had to conform to the new 17 digit VIN format and the year would no longer appear on the bike tag."

It should only have 17 characters if it was a U.S. model. Otherwise, NON-U.S. models might not use the 17 character VIN number system.

There may be a difference in the VIN nd Engine number, so check the steering head area for a frame number, that should be the VIN. I'm pretty sure they're asking for the VIN..

·
PsyKotic Waterfowl
1,351 Posts
On K bikes:

The VIN and engine numbers are different numbers.

The VIN can be found in two places:

1) It is stamped into the metal of the diagonal frame member above the right hand side peg plate.

2) The federally mandated sticker on the diagonal frame member above the left hand side peg plate.

The engine number is different and is stamped into the right side lower rear of the engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Eng number

I know the differenence between a VIN and a eng. number. I know a Vin has 17 characters. This is the eng number MBM098745M73990XXXX and it is located on the lower right rear side of the eng. near the transmission.. The state if Minneasota thinks it is too long to be a valid eng. number. I had the eng. number verified at a BMW dealership. Does anyone know how to decifer or validate a engine number?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I recently titled my K75 here in MN and they asked for an engine number as well. Mine is 19 digits long too and nobody at the Southdale Licensing Bureau gave a hoot how long it was. I just filled it in on the form and they never really cared much.

So, I'm going to agree with the guy who said to bring it in to a different clerk. I think the clerk you were dealing with is confused.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts