BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Do anybody has a good idea, what can be wrong? There is on the dash 20 000km. Engine starts fine, no struggeling or stops, fuel economy is good, but if I use it below 2500rpm, it's smoothless. Like in the city, it's not like it has to be...Did change new sparkplugs last year, airbox, even changed ignition coils from other bike to make sure that this is not it. Tryed fresh gasolin (98). But still nothing. Didn't show any problems with 911GS diagnostics as well.
Any ideas? :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think you’re describing the normal low speed fueling issues that the k12 has. I have a 2008 k12 and ‘fixed’ the issue by fitting an AF-XIED which riches up the mixture at lower revs. Lean fuel mixture for euro anti pollution specs is the cause of the low speed surging and bucking. Also check wth your dealer to see if all the factory recalls have been done.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
524 Posts
Capt. is so correct. The K12 is a super hot rod and not tuned to run in the city. Sorry. It is great on the road and fast there too. In town a real handful. Your bike is average to normal.
BMW spent some serious money to have Recaro Engineering of the UK to redesign the bike and the K13 series came about. Much easier to ride and faster.
Welcome to the site by the way.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so you think there is nothing to worrying about. I'm thinking here, I have heard, that Power commander might fix this for some reason? About factory recalls- I checked all is done.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Nothing to worry about apart from the inconvenience. Roughness is worse on a light throttle.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Like Capn, I fitted a AF-XIED. It transforms the low speed/revs running of the bike. There are loads of posts regarding it. Have a google.
Its about $200 but is pretty much plug and play, in around 15 mins.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like Capn, I fitted a AF-XIED. It transforms the low speed/revs running of the bike. There are loads of posts regarding it. Have a google.
Its about $200 but is pretty much plug and play, in around 15 mins.
So with this unit there might be noticable difference riding on low rpm?🙄

·
Registered
46 Posts
Absolutley, before installing it, pulling off required a lot more feathering of the clutch, and revs. Also a "hunting" at low speeds. It richens up the fuel mixture by around 6% which is just what the bike needs.

·
Registered
2010 K1300R
28 Posts
Have you updated the software at a BMW motorrad? Did you put on an aftermarket muffler? I had idling issues when I first got my 2006 K1200R (especially when it got hot outside) and returned it to stock and had everything updated at BMW which seemed to have fixed the problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have you updated the software at a BMW motorrad? Did you put on an aftermarket muffler? I had idling issues when I first got my 2006 K1200R (especially when it got hot outside) and returned it to stock and had everything updated at BMW which seemed to have fixed the problem.
Last year it got a software update at the dealer as well, but this did not make anything better :(

·
Registered
69 Posts
Tell me about the software update please?

I have the af xied thingee and it does help. It's not perfect, but better.

Yes this bike is a hotrod out of town. Not the best commuter, though I do commute on it. Over time I expect there's a bit of muscle memory happening where we learn how to attenuate the throttle to improve the ride.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Boxerboy if you take your bike to a bmw dealer they should be able to hook up your bike to their computer and download the latest software update if you dont already have it. They should also check the mechanical updates as well such as air box cam chain jump guard etc. Should be cost free. BMW motorrad Australia seem a lot more cooperative than their international comrades

·
Registered
69 Posts
Boxerboy if you take your bike to a bmw dealer they should be able to hook up your bike to their computer and download the latest software update if you dont already have it. They should also check the mechanical updates as well such as air box cam chain jump guard etc. Should be cost free. BMW motorrad Australia seem a lot more cooperative than their international comrades
The bike supposedly has all the upgrades. I haven't heard of a software upgrade though? Next time it's in, I'll ask. Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts