BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to give my new cold weather riding gear (Firstgear TPG) a test drive so I chose some high Sierra riding for this mornings trip. This is a route I've done several times but never in November where the temps today touched 40 degrees. Something I normally would avoid given my thin California blood.

This is Sequoia National Park. One of the great motorcycle rides in the state in my opinion. Even in the summer it's not that busy, but today I felt like Charton Heston in planet of the apes when he discovers he's the only human on the planet. I could have taken a nap on the double yellow. Being kind of a lone wolf rider (my wife's words), this is Nirvana to me. And I took some pictures to share with you guys.

There was patchy fogg in the valley, which made for some picturesque vistas up high.

Despite the relative chill, the roads were dry, with no snow, and I was completely comfortable in my gear. No need for electrics today.

This whole park has gorgeous roads. Makes you want to ride, doesn't it?

I've got a thing for bridges. This stone specimen is worth a photo.

This shot is kind of little dragon-esque, don't you think?

Don't hate me for living near here...

OK, now the deer. Probably not what you were expecting since I had just stepped off my bike to take in the view and this big guy was staring me in the eye. I wasn't sure if he wanted a snack or wanted to gore me. Still, I'd rather see him on foot than at 80 MPH.

And a vanity shot of my faithful GT...

Total ride today was about 200 miles and I got home around 11:30 AM. Winter riding is great when you have the right gear. Oh, and you live in California :).

·
Registered
372 Posts
Wow! The big buck is awesome. I agree that he is better seen on foot and not darting across the road just as you go by. I'm sure some ass wants to put a bullet in him. :(

·
Registered
377 Posts
Deer

davidk63 said:
Wow! The big buck is awesome. I agree that he is better seen on foot and not darting across the road just as you go by. I'm sure some ass wants to put a bullet in him. :(
Bambi usually doesn't wait to dart out until you go by. My encounter with one took months to get over. With no natural enemies except those 'asses' out hunting them, their numbers have increased each year until riding at more than 30-35 MPH on secondary roads has become dangerous. At least at low speed you will likely live through the collision.

·
Registered
335 Posts
What awesome photos - and what awesome experiences you share with us. (To David's remarks about we, the asses, does it help if I note my Native American heritage. Oh...perhaps this makes it different.) Love your Charlton Heston analogy and can relate. Thanks, Doc - awesome!

·
Registered
365 Posts
At less those "____" do reduce the herd, you should see the problems those hoofed rodents causes in no hunting zones. The county I live in is always in the highest in the state of Michigan for deer vehicle accidents, and in the top 10 in the country every year.

I don't hunt but I do appreciate the hunters reducing the herd a bit. We used to have wolves and cougars to do the job, but they "might' hunt cattle so they were eliminated.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Weird... in the "dragon-esque" photo, it looks like the clouds form an Anarchy sign, turned sideways. Again, enjoy your shots... and the recent trip you took along the PacCoast highway. Have only been able to do that by car - three times! Look forward to riding it one day.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Great pics, love that place. Brings back memories. Wonderful roads. Kings Canyon was great too. Almost deserted. Was there last August and you're right. Very lightly traveled. Hot though in Aug. I took the southern way out and they had the road closed for construction 45 minutes at a time. There were 2 other cars that pulled up behind me to wait in 45 minutes. In the middle of summer. In CA no less. Right down the road at Yosemite was a freaking zoo. Couldn't wait to get out of there.

davidk63 said:
I'm sure some ass wants to put a bullet in him.
That would be me!

And not only would I put a bullet in him but I'd hang him on my wall, next to the others, and eat his meat too.

What are you one of those Vegans? Or just a Left Wing Communist? Go eat a salad with bacon bits. Does your bike run off of Bio Diesel? Just wondering cause a LOT of critters died, and continued to die, to make that gas you're pumping. :scratch: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Wait -

I'm still struggling with the combination of words "touching 40 and cold weather riding gear"

You California guys have all the luck!

(The Chicago Area Riders club suits up anytime it both gets above 25 degrees and the snow and ice have retreated. :snowlaff: )

Nice pics and report!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Real nice buck

That is a really nice 10 point buck. I'm surprised you got that close to him. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts