BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this code on the dash OIL---<!> I checked the oil and the level is okay. GS-911 says oil level is deficient. Am I looking at a new oil level sensor? Has anyone seen this error before?

·
Premium Member
two K1300S bikes, S1000R & Vespa 150 Primavera clown paint job
1,417 Posts
This is the code that shows up when the bike is not meeting all the parameters for a correct level reading. Check your owners manual. Mainly when the bike is cold. It is no worries. You have to be sitting running, stopped, up right not leaning, bike warmed up to normal temp and in neutral for a correct bike computer reading. Relax and enjoy the last of the Summer rides.

·
Registered
235 Posts
dry sump engine - they have a massive separate plastic oil tank - in general dry sump vehicles can often empty a lot of oi in to the engine sump when parked - especially if the vehicle was used hard and thus very hot at last switch off - as the bike runs the two find their correct level (when things are working correctly)

thus there is a procedure to follow as to how to check the oil level - it has to be after it's just been running, and one should never thrash from cold as lots of oil could be in the wrong place

mine never showed a funny reading

·
Registered
K1300GT SE / GSX1400 / LRD4
230 Posts
I get the same error under hard acceleration. My oil level is correct (checked as per manual steps). I put it down to the induction pick up moving up or down the indicator stalk under acceleration, as under normal conditions it doesn't do it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I get the same error under hard acceleration. My oil level is correct (checked as per manual steps). I put it down to the induction pick up moving up or down the indicator stalk under acceleration, as under normal conditions it doesn't do it.

would the level sensor not be in the plastic tank ? the engine scavenge pump manages the level in the engine ?
this is the sort of bug that they later tweaked with an i-level update - after early customers had a moan

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of the input. I do know how to check oil level (my GT3 is dry sump also). Was just wondering if anyone had ever had this error and replaced the level sensor to fix it. The bike has been fine for the six years I've been riding it.

·
Registered
K1300GT SE / GSX1400 / LRD4
230 Posts
would the level sensor not be in the plastic tank ? the engine scavenge pump manages the level in the engine ?
this is the sort of bug that they later tweaked with an i-level update - after early customers had a moan
Yes, I meant the level sensor in the plastic tank, this sits centrally but the level sensor is off on one side.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts