BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if any of the usual suspects (Ohlins, Wilbers, Works, etc.) have come up with replacement shocks for ESA-equiped bikes?

·
Registered
214 Posts
eljeffe said:
Does anyone know if any of the usual suspects (Ohlins, Wilbers, Works, etc.) have come up with replacement shocks for ESA-equiped bikes?
Good question. Since it's my understanding the OEM ESA shocks on the K1200S are manufactured by Works Performance that should answer one of three.

Two: Wilbers unknown

Three: I know Ohlins makes a similar "ESA" type of suspension system but I don't know if they have shocks that are compatable with the BMW ESA system yet. Ohlins would have to work with BMW to match the pre-programed BMW ESA presets to their shocks.

I hope that Ohlins does offer them in the future but thinking of what they'll charge for them is frightening.

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mark5lam said:
Good question. Since it's my understanding the OEM ESA shocks on the K1200S are manufactured by Works Performance that should answer one of three.
I think it's White Power Suspension. They claim to have developed the ESA system for BMW. Found this at www.bmwst.com while searching Google on this topic.

http://www.wpsuspension.biz/products/bmw_products.php

Two: Wilbers unknown

Three: I know Ohlins makes a similar "ESA" type of suspension system but I don't know if they have shocks that are compatable with the BMW ESA system yet. Ohlins would have to work with BMW to match the pre-programed BMW ESA presets to their shocks.

I hope that Ohlins does offer them in the future but thinking of what they'll charge for them is frightening.
Yeah, but what about what BMW wants for their replacements? Ugh! ;)

Rear (PN: 33537659814): $1995 (MSRP)
Front (PN: 31427687438): $867 (MSRP)

Sure, I can save 20% at BMW of Chicago, but jeez, I'm still looking at upwards of $2300 for shocks. I'd think that Ohlins, Wilburs, Works, and now that I've found WP Suspension, they might make something for us that is 1) better and 2) similarly priced

·
Registered
214 Posts
eljeffe said:
I think it's White Power Suspension. They claim to have developed the ESA system for BMW.
"White Power Suspension",.....Yeah, that's what I meant ;)

I thought WP was "Works Performance." While there is a "Works Performance" and they do make shocks for BMW's, in this case, I went to the WP website you describe and initally didn't see where they refer to themselves as "White Power." I did see a reference to "Wim Peters’ shocks."

Anyway, reading through the company history they state the following: "The white springs also introduced the original brand name of "White Power" which we are not using actively in the market anymore since 1991."

I can only assume they dropped the "White Power" name in the wake of political correctness that has flooded and diluted our society. But I digress... Apparently the company only refers to themselves as WP now and claims to be an OEM supplier to BMW (among other brands).

Well, at least between the two of us (mostly your input) we have about half the info we were looking for.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Racegun said:
I wrote to Klaus some weeks ago about wilbers for the K12R. He does have that ability! In fact,I think Naked rider put them on his K12R. There were not the Electronic adjustable type however.

Race is right. I put Wilbers on my K1200R. They came at a great time - right before my first track day.

I found that they made a HUGE difference in control. With the stock suspention I had to set the preload way up there to get the control I wanted in turns. Bummer is that now you have a bumpier ride when you do that.

With the Wilbers I had the same level of control with the preload in a more reasonable setting. MUCH better ride due to that. I would highly recommend it but it's a real squeeze in the back (tight fit). The dealer wasn't real happy with how long it took to put them on since they charge a flat rate.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm not a moderator nor am I black, but let's keep the racist "dilute our society" crap off this nice website.

Thanks.

·
Registered
531 Posts
how come ESA which is a 750 option costs almost 3 grand to replace????? i don't understand why it only costs 750 to get a bike with ESA but after the shocks go bad it costs damn near 3 grand to replace them. what's the life expectancy of the factory shocks? i put 44,000 miles on my KRS and never had a problem with the shocks....should i expect the same with the ESA???? i'm thinking if i had to spend 3 grand on shocks i'd rather trade the bike in and use the 3 grand as a down payment on something new without ESA.

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mogan said:
I'm not a moderator nor am I black, but let's keep the racist "dilute our society" crap off this nice website.

Thanks.

I believe he was talking about the overreaching state political correctness we live with today and not a commentary racial diversity in that statement. Or, at least that's how I read it.

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
wellcraft said:
how come ESA which is a 750 option costs almost 3 grand to replace????? i don't understand why it only costs 750 to get a bike with ESA but after the shocks go bad it costs damn near 3 grand to replace them. what's the life expectancy of the factory shocks? i put 44,000 miles on my KRS and never had a problem with the shocks....should i expect the same with the ESA???? i'm thinking if i had to spend 3 grand on shocks i'd rather trade the bike in and use the 3 grand as a down payment on something new without ESA.
The stock shocks (non-ESA) are $727 for the rear, and $492 for the front. So you're almost halfway there anyway (well, a bit more than a third anyway). Which is the reason why I'm asking if there are aftermarket shocks that could be better (like Ohlins or Wilbers) than the stock shocks.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Mogan said:
I'm not a moderator nor am I black, but let's keep the racist "dilute our society" crap off this nice website. Thanks.
eljeffe said:
I believe he was talking about the overreaching state political correctness we live with today and not a commentary racial diversity in that statement. Or, at least that's how I read it.
Exactly! Thank you El Jeffe.

I don't condone discussions of this nature in this forum and normally I wouldn't even dignify such an ignorant comment with a response however, I don't appreciate being so misinterpreted and subsequently being publicly accused of promoting something despicable. With that I'm compelled to offer the following explanation.

I dont understand how anyone could have misconstrued my statement on political correctness as being racist in any way. There wasn't a single thing racist about it which was my whole point in reference to WP in the first place.

WP's former name had absolutely NOTHING to do with racism (which intelligent people know and understand) yet they apparently felt in this PC world they couldn't keep their own name because "somebody" might interrupt it differently than intended and might be offended.

In the case of a company striving to survive in the competitive business world, submission to such political correctness (however misdirected the perceptions of some may be) is probably in there own best interest these days. I just think it's a shame we live in a world where people are not mature enough or educated enough to understand the difference between what is truly or intended to be offending and what is not and therefor, we have to lower ourselves to their standards just to be understood.

I apologize to all on the forum for the rant and this will be the last I say on this subject.

I would suggest that if in the future there is such a misunderstanding, before replying with a public and inaccurate chastising of someone, maybe first try sending them a PM to get some clarification.

Sorry again folks and thank you again to El Jeffe. I know we're supposed to be talking about ESA and shocks here. I'll be glad to get back on topic and refrain from such rants in the future.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I suppose those of us that have ESA could always put conventional shocks on be they Wilburs/Ohlins/Works for less money and have better then stock. I'm undecided about having an ESA button that would no longer function. Now if one of the shock makers would come up with a replacement at a resonable cost I'm thinking they would sell well.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Is there any reason you couldn't replace your worn out ESA shocks with standard Wlibers / WP / Ohlins versions? Sure, you'd have a useless button, but you'd have a great suspension.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Has anyone researched if the ESA shocks could be rebuilt? They are not el cheapo shocks like some oem stuff..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Having the stock ESA WP shocks rebuilt is my plan in the future. Just hope suspension shops that normally work on WP stuff will not have a problem digging into these. I would think that the guts are totally rebuidable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
BMW EDS system for R1200GS - R1150GS - R1150RT

From WP's website :

WP Suspension is now able to offer you it's EDS system for your BMW. Just like BMW's ESA system (also developed bij WP Suspension) you now have the option to control the settings of your suspension with the touch of a button.
Firstly you have the options for:
- Single passenger use. (top left indicator)
- Single passenger use with luggage. (centre left indicator)
- Double passenger use. (bottom left indicator)

after you've set this to the load of your BMW, you proceed to the next step: (see below)

C - Comfort: provides you with a comfortable ride on all terrain.
N - Normal: provides you with a basic setting, suitable for almost every terrain
S - Sport: Provides you with a setting that gives you the best feeling with your bike, but gives you the least comfort of the three available settings. Suitable for the demanding rider.

The EDS system comes complete with all neccessary parts, including bracket for the control module and an ECM (not shown in picture)

now available at your dealer.
A version for the K should not be too difficult yes ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Nice find Cyclop. That kind of says it to me regarding potential rebuildability (new word).

And I see no reason why you could not go full standard suspension setup from ESA if you so desired. Just have to have someone unplug their ESA system from the CAN system and see what if any faults you get.

·
Registered
896 Posts
There are gonna be a LOT of bikes with ESA shocks needing attention.. I'm sure that WP signed some kind of non-compete deal with BMW in order to supply the ESA shocks, I wonder how long its for? WP has to know there will be a huge market for replacements or repairs. I think this is the first product to address this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Non-compete deal

Erik said:
.... I'm sure that WP signed some kind of non-compete deal with BMW in order to supply the ESA shocks, I wonder how long its for? ......
And that is the question. We know that Touratech had a hand in the development and production of the 1150ADV panniers and even now, as the 1200ADV comes into service, we have yet to see the clone version of those in the market. We might need to look towards Ohlins or Wilbers for an equivalent of the ESA.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts