BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys.

I just got off the phone with a friend who is continuing his tour of the Southwest we started togther on May 20th. He is trying to make it to Colorado Springs, CO but is on the road and currently having trouble with his '06 - '07 GT. He thinks the ESA or something related to it is misbehaving in the front end. He hears a constant set of "clicking" up front and it's bucking. Started last night and it's scaring him pretty bad. He can't see any missing parts. The spring, shock, and bolts seem to be in place. No fluids leaking, but heavy vibrations through the handlebars.

I'm not there, so I can't interpret or diagnose the details any better. Any of you have any front end experience with a problem that sounds like this? He says the engine is running fine, so I don't think bucking is related to engine, airbox, or ignition issues.

I'm going to start a search of my Reprom and this site now. Any way to disable the ESA alone to see if it could be the culprit? He has no GS-911 and BMW shops are closed till Tuesday. His wife is meeting him in Colorado Springs, so he's trying to make it there.

Thx in advance. I can call/text him with suggestions or ideas.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Been sending my buddy pics of possible rear end problems and where ESA connectors are for rear, but the 3rd addition REPROM shows NOTHING for the front ESA connector for the GT. It does show a connector under the large right side fairing for the K1200R & K1200S. Why not under the GT? :wtf:

There have been a few reads here this afternoon. Got any ideas? Poor man is limping. My suggested battery disconnect and rest didn't do jack either.

Bueller,...

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
There have been a few front ball joints going bad in some bikes. Subsequent wandering around the roadway too. If he can get someone to hold the tail end down, then give the front end a wiggle and see if something's loose. Possibly front fork bearing loose too. Oddly, on their S1000RR the first thing in the 600 mile checklist is to tighten the front fork bearings. Go figger.

The bucking maybe be the airbox rearing it's ugly head, especially if he's having idle issues or is in traffic trying to maintain a constant RPM. Mine was really bad, times three. Eventually, past the bucking stage, it would just die when I pulled in the clutch and dropped the throttle to idle coming up to s stop sign.

Hard to diagnose from afar without more info, i.e. ESA causing the bucking or the engine? Faulty ESA switchgear maybe?

Mine's been pretty good since the BMW regional tech worked on it - knock on wood. No surging or bucking.

Mack

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies. His last text was to says he has rented a pickup. I assume he will haul it to the closest BMW dealer (Colorado Springs?) for fixing.I'll try and let you know what this was all about.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got off the phone with my buddy. He ended up at Out West Motorcycles in Montrose, Colorado. It's not a BMW dealer, but the mechanic there is helping him out.

The problem was a front wheel bearing had disintegrated. He says 3 - 4 balls were missing or pulverized, and he had ridden ~ 400 or 500 miles in that condition with serious handling problems.

That makes sense. I don't know why I hadn't thought of that possibility. His GT is nearing 40K miles and that's probably where they first need to be looked at for issues, but that seems like very low miles to me.

He also let me know they had a heck of a time getting the front wheel off the bike. Nearly broke their special tool. My buddy tried to save a few bucks while he was back in Las Vegas and instead of getting new tires from the dealer there he went to a Yamaha dealer who put on new tires for 1/2 the price. They probably way overtightened the axle, and may have caused the bearing failure for all I know. "Pay me now or pay me later" comes to mind.

Oh, and to the original ESA question I posed. He did take off the right side fairing and found the ESA wiring connector on that side. He disconnected the wiring to the front shock and rode the GT around with the same noises and vibration, so he could tell that wasn't the problem. He also noted that having it disconnected didn't throw a fault on the dash.

It's been a learning experience for me. Hope this is the end of this story, and he has a safer ride home in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have my front wheel off my 07 GT right now, so I went out and looked...

In theory it is not possible to "over tighten" the axle.... :rotf: Yeah I know...

The axle threads into an aluminum nut. This nut has to be on the left side of the bike (riders perspective) The nut acts as the spacer to the left side bearing. The axle has a shoulder on it that contacts the right side bearing. Assembled correctly and pinch bolts tightened will align the wheel properly in the forks....

My theory is Yamaha dealer put the aluminum nut on the opposite side (R/H side) of the bike. Yes, it can be done.

I haven't seen any problems with GT wheel bearings.. If we were talking 800GS rear wheel bearings that would be a whole different story :D

·
Registered
179 Posts
spafxer said:
I have my front wheel off my 07 GT right now, so I went out and looked...

I
I haven't seen any problems with GT wheel bearings.. If we were talking 800GS rear wheel bearings that would be a whole different story :D
I have had to replace my 07 GT front wheel bearings 4 times in 88,000. Extended warranty has been covering it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts