BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having read everything I can find on the various forums about the ESA Suspension I can tell you that they are fully re-buildable. Klaus at EPM Performance Imports in NJ 732-786-9777 will do each end for about $450 with new spring or $325 without. Turn around is 4 days.

Motorcycle Shock Rebuild Service - EPM Performance Imports

I’ll be sending mine in next week, early October 2020, I’ll update you on the experience.

Much better than $4000 from BMW.

James

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How hard was it to remove the shocks? I've heard it is a pretty daunting task!
I paid $180 for each end, $360 total for removal and installation. Took 5 hours to remove both front and rear.

I’m VERY glad I didn’t do it myself.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
400 Posts
It is a difficult job. I have a document (word) with pictures that gives you the major points. If you PM me with your email address I can send it to you. I can not figure out a way to publish it here. There are several tricky spots, one that can cause sever heart burn is removing the oil tank from the rear sub frame nutserts. Do not cross thread these! I recommend some neversieze too. Taking them out for the first time is a nervous job. Getting the correct torque procedure on the top front suspension piece is important also. And there is some pivot action on the head of the Torx bolt there, it needs anti sieze. also

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
406 Posts
I have a document (word) with pictures that gives you the major points. If you PM me with your email address I can send it to you. I can not figure out a way to publish it here.
Go to cutepdf.com and install the pdfwriter. You can convert the Word document to a .pdf file and post it here if you don't have Adobe Acrobat Pro.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
400 Posts
Here we go for that document about wilbers install.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
$873.34
So the total price was $873.34, ended up taking two weeks because there was some error with shipping. Other than that everything went perfectly to plan and will be reassembled over the next day or so. Mike and Brian have been great and I highly recommend the service.
Once it’s all reassembled I’ll give you a report on how it feels.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
$873.34
So the total price was $873.34, ended up taking two weeks because there was some error with shipping. Other than that everything went perfectly to plan and will be reassembled over the next day or so. Mike and Brian have been great and I highly recommend the service.
Once it’s all reassembled I’ll give you a report on how it feels.

here’s a photo of the finished article, purple is the standard color, you can get other colors if you pay extra. I really didn’t care you can’t see it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So here’s the result: the bike is transformed!
I bought the bike with 38,000 miles, nice condition from FB marketplace in Chicago, I’m in NY so sight unseen. Happy with the bike but felt crashy and just not what I expected.
I guess this suspension is good for about 40k, I can tell you that changing it transforms the bike, it feels brand new and is 100% worth it. All the factory functionality remains and at less than $900 in parts - assuming all 5 motors work $350 each one that doesn’t - it was a good choice for me.

James

·
Registered
95 Posts
Stock suspension is nasty. BMW have never done this well. They fit budget dampers on everything. And the latest bikes only get 20 months of full time life on these items now. I had a GT and its ride was OK, but that OK for a budget nasty, ridden gently on smooth roads (it was like new with 12k miles an the shocks looked brand new). The shear weight at 340kg (quite where they found 200lbs of lead to fit for fun I don't know but they added it over the other K1300s and it stops the bike being fun). Clearly needs 340mm front discs to try and cope.

I had a GS1200LC with ESA and that was far worse.... it was just before they went active (which apparently doesn't work, but I've not tried it). You had to use sport above 40 and switch back to comfort below 40 them it was well judged (for budget rubbish).

I have active garbage on my KTM 1290, that's a hopeless car crash... it does the exact opposite of BMWs active set up. As you ride harder on the BMW it winds it up and up till it stops moving. My KTM somehow seems OK when the throttle is wide open. But when you come to stop there's no compression damping at all. After bouncing your head on the tarmac (if you manage to stop) you sit with incredulation as to what just happened, pump the forks to find with zero damping in either direction. Then after one and a half strokes they wake up and go solid!

I also have a proper air cooled GS. It has a Wilbers joke on the front... I guess fractionally less appalling than the stock non ESA one. But still harsh and nasty (even after a service when he tweaked the shim stack for better compliance). And a three way manually adjustable WP on the back that's absolutely brilliant. The change to a shock that functions transformed the bike, comfort +100%, handling +150%, safety gains immeasurable... the wheel now follows the road regardless. For example the stock bike would hit the cats eye reflectors in the middle of the road and the back would jump 2 to 3 foot off line every time. Not a huge deal when playing as the GS takes this abuse in its stride. But not so clever when a emergency situation happens.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts