BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at picking up a new GT and test rode one yesterday (briefly). Current ride is KRS with Ohlins. For those that have ridden a K bike with Ohlins - how do you think the ride with the new ESA shocks compare with to the ride with Ohlins?
Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
ESA all the way!

I think that the quality rivals the Ohlins. And unless you can adjust the Ohlins on-the-fly (from comfort to sport), I think it's a no-brainer.

When I first heard about ESA, I thought it was a joke. When I test rode the 'S' several times, I still wasn't too impressed. But after 6K on the GT with ESA, I am in LOVE! And I would tell you if I thought it sucked. Trust me. :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Had....

I had Ohlins on my 05 R1200RT and was really in love with the bike and also had them on my '04 R1150RT....they really make for a great ride.

I bought a K1200R with standard shocks and no ESA.......it was ok but sold the bike after a very short time.....didn't like the seating position.

When the new GT came out I just bought it with ESA trusting in what others had reported here and at the other BMW touring site.

I'm very happy with the ESA and really like the Change on the Fly ability over the Ohlins.

·
Registered
108 Posts
RS + Ohlins

I had a K12RS with Ohlins and loved it. When I read about ESA I was suspicious because how could the set up be good for me at 10 stone and also good for someone closer to 20 stone? Well, now I have ESA I won't be going back to Ohlins. The esa ride is practically as good as the ohlins, but the change on the fly bit is fantastic. We have lots of variable road surfaces here so I use it lots. Also. my riding varies a lot between solo, 2-up and then luggage. I always forgot to adjust the damping on the ohlins. Take a good test ride on mixed roads and try out all the settings. You will be surprised at the quality of the ride.

Brian

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Folks,
Thanks for the responses and appreciate the feedback.

I only got to put about 5 miles on the demo and the ride felt ok at times but there were times it was not as good as my current ride. I did take my bike over the same route afterwards for comparison. Based on what I have been reading elsewhere it is probably because I was not giving the suspension enough time to re-adjust the damping.
Bill

·
Registered
145 Posts
When I purchased my '05RT that was one of my considerations about the ESA... was it rebuildable. I had experience with the Ohlins and the ESA option had just come out and was somewhat "unproven" at that point. So I went with the non-ESA bike and added Ohlins.

Now with ESA fairly well established, I choose to go with it on the GT.

Just my .02

·
Registered
14 Posts
Question: Normally shocks last about 15 - 20K. The Oleins I had on my R1150RS lasted longer (traded in the bike before a rebuild was necessary). What is the life expectancy of the ESA shocks? Has anyone had them rebuilt or replaced?

Just curious

John

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Throw in another ditto for the ESA. My old RT had Ohlins and they were fine....(and dandy)...but the ESA is great. Sore ass end of the day rough road and switch to comfort mode. Not a 100% solution for Butt Burn but it sure helps. And there's definitely a difference between the settings.

I too would like to know the life expectancy of these things? Any one know? Bet it's real cheap to have it changed out too!

·
Registered
213 Posts
When I took delivery of my bike, I wondered how significant the difference between the ESA settings was going to be. That question was answered almost immediately. My bike was delivered with the ESA set for 2-up/sport, and I thought the suspension had been welded solid!! :eek:

At ~180 lbs I find that 1-up with luggage/normal is an excellent all-around setting for me. I'll set the ESA for 2-up/normal when my wife goes along, and if I forget to return it to the 1-up with luggage setting on my next solo ride, it's very noticeable - the bike's rear is sitting higher and rides stiffer due to the increased spring preload.

All in all, I'm an ESA fan right now.

Rusty

·
Registered
177 Posts
Convenience is what sets ESA from Ohlins apart, as far as suspension quality and value I think the Ohlins wins hands down. Why? Because if you decide to keep the bike for 3 years and under 36000 miles (the warranty limits in the US) it makes a perfect sense to have the ESA, if you love the bike and want to keep it and you are willing to pay the maintenance fee for rear about $3000US and above $2000 for the front, total = $5000 (replacement) it also makes sense, but if you want to keep the bike beyond the warranty expires and do not find $5000 reasonable price for the convenience of pushing the button then the Ohlins is the winner.

Push button = $5000, manual but very good stuff = $1600 (rebuildable) - simple arithmetics.

·
The Gov
660 Posts
I love mine as well, and I have also had Wilber's.

I thought I remember something posted somewhere about the ESA Showa's being rebuildable, but I can't find that now. Anybody remember seeing anything on another forum about that?

·
Registered
110 Posts
philspace said:
I love mine as well, and I have also had Wilber's.

I thought I remember something posted somewhere about the ESA Showa's being rebuildable, but I can't find that now. Anybody remember seeing anything on another forum about that?
I thought the esa shocks were made by WP. I don't know if it was on here or on another website I saw it, but someone spoke with a representative from WP who said they are not rebuildable. He said that part of the BMW spec for them to build it was that they would make them non rebuildable. WP does sell an aftermarket setup that is basically ESA for some of the BMW bikes that don't come with ESA. Right now they don't sell replacement ESA shocks for BMW's, but I'm hoping at some time they do as it would probably be cheaper than buying them from BMW. Their website is here. WP Website

·
The Gov
660 Posts
BrianT said:
I thought the esa shocks were made by WP. I don't know if it was on here or on another website I saw it, but someone spoke with a representative from WP who said they are not rebuildable. He said that part of the BMW spec for them to build it was that they would make them non rebuildable. WP does sell an aftermarket setup that is basically ESA for some of the BMW bikes that don't come with ESA. Right now they don't sell replacement ESA shocks for BMW's, but I'm hoping at some time they do as it would probably be cheaper than buying them from BMW. Their website is here. WP Website
Thanks, looks like it will be an expensive replacement. Even more expensive if my wife sees that they they make an ESA version of shocks for her RT :eek:hyeah:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ohlins EC a solution vs ESA

I have had the Ohlins EC electric control for the last 8 months on my '02 KRS- they are GREAT!! The quality, performance and rebuildability of Ohlins are preserved with the EC plus the ability to adjust the compression on the fly. Great ride in the twisties or the slab. Can virtually tune out the slab bumps and with the press of the button harden up for the twisties for either front or back or both at the same time. Can even read the bikes voltage on the same digital display. The compression can be set for 10,30,50,75 and 100(% I think). All you need to do is get the dampening right and I found it works well for all of the compression settings available. I cannot imagine the ESA's could do a better job than Ohlins and the Ohlins can be retrofitted, not sure about the new GT or S.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts