BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am , interested in purchasing a new BMW in Germany and riding it in europe for awhile and then being able to bring it back to the states! I know the BMW website says they have no other markets that have "US" spec bikes!!
Anyway, just looking for some advice from people who have done this, I know I could probably buy a used bike and re-sell it for a loss!
Thanks

·
Registered
531 Posts
i've known people who were in the military and purchased cars/bikes overseas and then had them shipped to the US. It's possible but I don't know what hoops you have to go through to get it done.

·
Registered
37 Posts
seems like that program was killed!
http://www.bmwmoa.org/global/ToEurope.htm

THE EUROPEAN DELIVERY PROGRAM

The BMW corporate-administered program offering European delivery of new USA or CDN-specification BMW motorcycles to civilian customers ended in 1993; its continuation by BMW dealer BMWNY ended in 1998. US citizens are also not allowed to order US-spec BMW motorcycles directly from European BMW dealers for European delivery. The only exception is that US armed forces personnel in Europe may be able to purchase US-spec BMWs for European delivery by special order through the BMW subsidiary of the country where they're stationed, or through specialty agents in Europe such as www.pentagoncarsales.com.

IMPORTING EURO-SPEC BMWs TO USA

Motorcycles are originally manufactured to safety & emissions specifications that differ between Europe, USA, Canada, and other world markets. BMWs built for original sale in Europe can be legally imported into, & re-titled/registered in the USA, but only if first 'conformed', that is changed to meet US DOT & EPA requirements. To conform a Euro-spec BMW to US-spec is complicated, expensive & time-consuming enough that (together with transatlantic shipping cost) it is not cost-effective or recommended under most circumstances. NOTE: these rules apply only to Euro-spec bikes imported to the US with the purpose of 'permanent' re-registration in the US; personally-owned bikes brought to the US by non-resident Europeans for 'temporary' touring up to 12 months are NOT subject to these rules.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts