BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek:

Holy $hit batman!

Finally got a chance yesterday evening to take the bike out for a test run and I mean to tell you, the beast within has awakened. Between the filters and the laser slip-on, it just plain rips! I lofted the front wheel a couple times just gettin' on it. :eek:

Yes, it does make the bike much louder, but so far, I like it - sounds like a real hotrod.

I remember when I put the pipe on, it was noticibly quicker, but after the filters, the difference was more drastic.

If you like performance, I highly recommend it.

...just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Total agreement

put'em on my KR and I was extremely happy with the improvement in both performance and sound. :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes, but they cost!

I have every belief in Ken's less restrictive filters, 'cause I removed the stock filters entirely and the difference was startling (for as long as I was willing to go fitler-less). But, and here is the butt: $275 seems too much to pay -- considering I can get the same filter material, from the same manufacturer, in an OEM replacement for my Z4, for $54 and an entire filter box replacement for about $135.

Now, we paid about $500 for what is essentially a tin can (Laser) to replace the stock cannon silencer, on our $20k KS's, so what's a lousy $275 more (BMW's tank bag costs as much, but it fits perfectly). I am just not used to paying so much for a piece of filter material (OK, the 2 clips are essential, too). Is it that since BMW makes expensive bikes and therefore we are willing to pay premium prices and not do our own tinkering?

It seems to me that when the snow stops falling I will buy a $35 K& N truck filter and use it to cut 2 OEM type stock replacement filters. Sure it won't be as neat as Ken's, but it may work almost as well -- and no one can see the dam things anyway.

Finally, I have never read anything other than praise for Ken, his company and his products and he deserves whatever profit he makes. I will probably wind up with several of his products (especially a new fuel injection map).

Going as fast at 50 as I can and still see 60.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Costs

R & D costs money. The actual product costs are a small part of the BIG picture. I'm just glad there are people out there smarter than me who are willing to take my motorcycle experience to a higher level abeit at a cost for sure.
Pete

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you just use the filter along with the existing ram air pipes, you won't get the performance numbers. The clips are actually billet aluminum and real trick.

You could fabricate some out of wood if you wanted to be real cheap! :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Filters

AFE makes the filters and they are MUCH better than K&N. Costing is <$40.00 each and well worth it if exhaust is opened.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Would you post the AFE part number for the filters you're using?
Thanks

·
Registered
629 Posts
Just got mine done earlier this evening. Will take the bike out for a test drive tomorrow. with the Remus full Titanium system and the Evoluzione filters it should be phenomenal. I'll disconnect the battery in a few minutes to clear the ECU before I take it out on the road.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Raffyk,

Remember to reset your ecu after disco'ing the battery...

1.) turn key to on position(don't start it)
2.) open throttle to fully open 3 times
3.) turn key off

·
Registered
629 Posts
John.

Thanks for posting the procedure. It'll help those who are not familiar with how to do it.

Having owned two K1200LTs, a K1200RS, a K1200R and worked on others' bikes, I've done the reset a few times in the last 5 years. :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
raffyk said:
Just got mine done earlier this evening. Will take the bike out for a test drive tomorrow. with the Remus full Titanium system and the Evoluzione filters it should be phenomenal. I'll disconnect the battery in a few minutes to clear the ECU before I take it out on the road.
Just got mine on as well. Hopefully the streets will dry up enough today to try this out.

I'll be real interested in your dyno numbers since we are set up the same (full Remus + Evo filters).

·
Registered
44 Posts
filter kits

So I need to replace the can at the same time as I replace the filters?? JD

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Sharkalec said:
I have every belief in Ken's less restrictive filters, 'cause I removed the stock filters entirely and the difference was startling (for as long as I was willing to go fitler-less). But, and here is the butt: $275 seems too much to pay -- considering I can get the same filter material, from the same manufacturer, in an OEM replacement for my Z4, for $54 and an entire filter box replacement for about $135.

Now, we paid about $500 for what is essentially a tin can (Laser) to replace the stock cannon silencer, on our $20k KS's, so what's a lousy $275 more (BMW's tank bag costs as much, but it fits perfectly). I am just not used to paying so much for a piece of filter material (OK, the 2 clips are essential, too). Is it that since BMW makes expensive bikes and therefore we are willing to pay premium prices and not do our own tinkering?

It seems to me that when the snow stops falling I will buy a $35 K& N truck filter and use it to cut 2 OEM type stock replacement filters. Sure it won't be as neat as Ken's, but it may work almost as well -- and no one can see the dam things anyway.

Finally, I have never read anything other than praise for Ken, his company and his products and he deserves whatever profit he makes. I will probably wind up with several of his products (especially a new fuel injection map).

Going as fast at 50 as I can and still see 60.

hey since you mentioned K&N, i just ordered two K&N filter for my K12R. i will mod the airbox and may get another snorkel for the other filter. Since price was an issue, if you take a truck filter it would work, but the K&N designed for the S and R are shaped like a cone in the rear. i believe this may improve its performance versus modifying a flat filter.
Qty/ Price Per Unit Total

KN-164 - Oil Filter 2 @ 14.96 $29.92
BM-1205 - Replacement Air Filter 2 @ 69.72 $139.44

Subtotal : $169.36
Shipping & Handling : $3.00
Tax : $12.28
Total : $184.64

that is almost half of what ken's setup costs. some say you get what you pay for...i will see after i receive them. on another post on the k12r forum someone installed one filter and noticed a vast improvement.

·
Registered
324 Posts
or you could just buy our performance air filter kit (p/n 76012) for $120 (less the 5% forum discount).

btw, the k&n cone filter won't work as a second filter for the "r" because the ecu is in the way (that is why we designed our race airflow system the way we did). if you really want the k&n filters, we have several take-offs from customer's bikes because they found ours worked better ;)

·
Registered
505 Posts
sectime said:
And you guys make fun of Harley riders and the price of their chrome...
And the Harley chrome does what for performance?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts