BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from SD. It was a good ride from the north central part of Arkansas to Spearfish and back. However, I took my Dyna up for this trip and good thing too. Got back and found my GT dead in the water for the second time, was met with the dreaded EWS warning. No problem, dealer is only 3 hourse away, one way. :boom:

On the positive side, the current fix is not the same as the last one. Hopefully, this one will work.

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
1,025 Posts
I just went through the fix, which was replacing the EWS ring, so I'm curious about your last fix... what was that?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
chuckwilmot said:
....so I'm curious about your last fix... what was that?
Ditto this? :confused:

·
Registered
40 Posts
chuckwilmot said:
I just went through the fix, which was replacing the EWS ring, so I'm curious about your last fix... what was that?
I guessing and hoping it wasn't the current " last 3 digit 247 " part number that supposedly is in the recall. Lets all hope 247 is the Exorcism for the bad demon. :clap:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My last "fix" was last fall, the dealer said the new fix is not the same as the last one. And, yes, the last fix was to replace the ring. Now I need to find the time to spend getting the bike to the dealer. It's a long haul, about 6 hours round trip. I'm close to the 11,000 and change on the odometer and it needs tires, probably do it all in one fell swoop, fix, service and tires.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Blackhorse17 said:
My last "fix" was last fall, the dealer said the new fix is not the same as the last one. And, yes, the last fix was to replace the ring.
What? Huh? :confused: This sounds like a load of crap on your dealers part. Not the same fix? Some one please explain what the different fix is. Isn't it supposed to be replace the antenna ring? Now this guys dealer is saying there are 2 fixes for the EWS? ......WTF? :wtf:

So you had it (antenna ring) replaced with what was supposed to be a new one to take care of the problem and the new one failed? What are the odds of that? But it's a new and different fix this time? Do you trust that they actually did it correctly last time?

I'm soooo confused.

·
2 heads are better than 1
284 Posts
As I understand it they changed the design of the ring at the failure point, which I believe is where the wires come into it. It's a completely new part. I'm the first person on the books next Tuesday to get the new ring; they have about 50 in stock right now and the line is forming for them.

In the end, I really think this is another case of adding features for features sake. They could have kept complexity and cost down by sticking with the tried and true standard key and ignition system. In cars I get stuff like this, but 4 guys can still throw the bike in a van and be gone in 30 seconds, and no EWS ring is going to keep that from happening.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm not that familiar with this EWS but I see my 2007 is on the recall list. Can the d#@n thing just be eliminated or bypassed somehow? I'm satisfied with just a plain old key.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
OK, I get it now. The old ring was the original design and this is supposed to be the new and better model. Let's hope it works!

And yes to the old standard ignition. Or at least give us the option. If you want extra security, cool. New toys can be fun. But personally I'd opt for tried and true most of the time on things like this.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Okay, at least I know what is going on now - broken wires due to some desgin flaw in the installed ring antenna. Previous to that I just thought it was some mystery electronic thingy failure - and that's spooky. Busted wire? Easy enough.

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
1,025 Posts
Blackhorse17 said:
They have changed the design on the ring and it has an new part number, as it was explained to me.
Bad news for me, because I distinctly remember 247 as being the end of the part number I got installed as thefix.

·
IBR# 366
3,155 Posts
Robert_W said:
But personally I'd opt for tried and true most of the time on things like this.
OK, here you go:

Or even better:

Can't get much simpler than that, with no real changes in 50 years or so. :)

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Oooo I like the Enfield! Kick starter and all. Bet it doesn't even have a key, probably just an on off switch.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Bouak said:
I guessing and hoping it wasn't the current " last 3 digit 247 " part number that supposedly is in the recall. Lets all hope 247 is the Exorcism for the bad demon. :clap:
I ate dinner with my dealer the other night, and the EWS thing is soon to be anounced as a recall on all canbuss bikes, Ks, Rs, Fs all of them of manufacture thru march of this year. Right now dealers are getting a trickle of new ones and are doing them on effected bikes first. At this moment the "security screws" have to be drilled for removel, but a special tool is on the way from the fatherland to hopefully eliminate this part of the deal. My dealer sent one with a group as a spare headed to Prudo Bay AK. In a pinch, a bike that won't start can have its ring unplugged, plug in another and it will start. Its the keys that are programmed, the rings are generic, one size fits all. At least we're not changeing out frames as with the GL1800, or wireing harnesses like on the VFRs or STs hondas...

·
IBR# 366
3,155 Posts
As I understand it, it's not a "Recall" but a "Service Campaign". The main difference being that a Recall is based primarily on safety issues (cracking frames, leaking fuel, faulty brakes, or anything else that could increase the risk of crashing). Recalls follow very strict Federal regulations including stipulations that all owners must be notified and all bikes fixed as soon as is practical and at BMW's expense.

A Service Campaign is initiated by BMW to cover non-critical updates, such as the new antenna ring, or the new oil cap. These are generally taken care of the next time the bike is in for routine service, rather than being dealt with directly.

Note that some dealers will proactively contact their customers to arrange for the repair, while others will just wait until the bike comes in to the shop.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts