BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading this forum for a while as I'm considering getting myself a 1200GT. Currently riding a DL1000 V-Strom.

I've been stranded in Destruction Bay, north Canada, with a group of R1200GS/ADV riders since Saturday, two of whom have the EWS failure and the bikes are going nowhere.

We have a few antenna rings being shipped up to us and we're hoping to be on the way in a few days. If we can't replace them ourselves, we'll be going to the nearest uhaul to get the bikes out of here.

Anyway, we rang BMW Ireland (where two of us are from) and it seems there's a recall in Ireland for all the 2007 bikes with the dodgy antenna rings. I can't confirm for sure, but that particular dealer has recalled 170 bikes to have the antenna ring replaced.

Thought some of you would be interested.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
288 Posts
Very interesting, if true. I called my service manager a few days ago for advice on the EWS issue. The good news is that because BMW is well aware of this problem, service managers are supposed to keep the new rings in stock and are authorized to immediately replace the rings. The bad news is that, because most bikes don't have this problem, it's not a recall and they have to verify failure. Tough luck if failure occurs 250 miles from the nearest Dealer. Seeing that this is becoming more and more of an issue, I hope BMW issues a recall or sends out a technical bulletin authorizing warranty replacement regardless of actual failure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
838 Posts
In Canada, it is also an official recall. They don't currently have the part, so I'm waiting at the moment.

I called the Tech Services Manager for BMW Motorrad Canada and he suggested not actually replacing the ring, but carrying it as a spare. But he also knows the build date of my bike and apparently certain builds are more susceptible to this problem than others. He also knows I'm more than a little paranoid about techs messing with my bike and apparently this is one ugly procedure which includes drilling out blind-end bolts that are a part of the ignition and retapping the holes for new bolts to reassemble the ignition switch. Not the kind of procedure I'm too keen on having the local techs perform. Especially for the "first time". I still haven't had my brakes bled for the same reason.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
331 Posts
grifscoots said:
First you pull the handlebars, then the bridge. Then you drill out some bits they call bolts. No retapping necessary. Pretty straight up and a home project once you have the ring and the so called bolts.
Grif,

What I would like to see is a way of wiring in a switch under the seat to bypass the immobiliser in an emergency. How about working out how to do this so that those of us in remote areas can do something proactive to prevent us from being stranded in the middle of nowhere? I am sure BMW wouldn't be interested in such a bush remedy though.

Anyone worked out how to do this?
 

·
Strafist
Joined
·
2,544 Posts
BobD said:
Grif,

What I would like to see is a way of wiring in a switch under the seat to bypass the immobiliser in an emergency. How about working out how to do this so that those of us in remote areas can do something proactive to prevent us from being stranded in the middle of nowhere? I am sure BMW wouldn't be interested in such a bush remedy though.

Anyone worked out how to do this?
This is what I do: carry a spare key and ring. If you get an EWS unplug from the antennae and plug it into your spare antennae. Hold your spare key in the hole of the spare antennae ring and start the bike like usual. Go home and fix it after completing your ride.

Murphy's Law of biking almost assures you'll never need it if you carry it..... but it can't hurt. You may save a stranded bud.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
Giff, how do you "unplug from the antenna?? Is there a connector you can get to without disassembling the bike?

Rusty[


QUOTE=grifscoots]This is what I do: carry a spare key and ring. If you get an EWS unplug from the antennae and plug it into your spare antennae. Hold your spare key in the hole of the spare antennae ring and start the bike like usual. Go home and fix it after completing your ride.

Murphy's Law of biking almost assures you'll never need it if you carry it..... but it can't hurt. You may save a stranded bud.[/QUOTE]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, looks like we are going to try both these solutions.

BMW Vancouver had 25 antennas in stock. We are having 3 of them shipped to Whitehorse. So they possibly have 22 in stock.
 

·
Strafist
Joined
·
2,544 Posts
KLAPTRAPPER said:
Giff, how do you "unplug from the antenna?? Is there a connector you can get to without disassembling the bike?

Rusty
Look under the ignition switch at the front. You'll see the plug. There are only two plugs in the ignition assembly, one going to the ignition switch and one to the antennae. You can't miss it as you really can't see the ignition wiring with taking the handlebar/bridge assembly apart.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
EWS failure option

Ok, You guys have me worried now. planning big trip to Idaho with Dealerships few and far between. If I wanted a spare antenna ring and key what's the dealer gonna soak me for a little preventative against EWS failure? Any feed back?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
331 Posts
johngvca said:
Ok, You guys have me worried now. planning big trip to Idaho with Dealerships few and far between. If I wanted a spare antenna ring and key what's the dealer gonna soak me for a little preventative against EWS failure? Any feed back?
You don't need to buy a key. Grif is talking about using your own spare key that will allow the antenna to detect the key while your normal key is in the ignition starting the bike.

I also would like to know how much it costs. I suppose I will have to ask the dealer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
838 Posts
grifscoots said:
First you pull the handlebars, then the bridge. Then you drill out some bits they call bolts. No retapping necessary. Pretty straight up and a home project once you have the ring and the so called bolts.
Thanks Grif. I'll attempt it myself, if I ever have the problem. And I'll use your spare key, spare ring approach on the road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
302 Posts
Where are they failing, internal or wiring harness? I can see a module that has two wires connected at the front of steering head below the ignition, is this the module?

Heading to Oregon next month, looks like I will need the insurance item also.
 

·
Strafist
Joined
·
2,544 Posts
dhanson said:
Where are they failing, internal or wiring harness? I can see a module that has two wires connected at the front of steering head below the ignition, is this the module?

Heading to Oregon next month, looks like I will need the insurance item also.
That's it. Go to Max BMW parts fiche, go to #51 Vehicle trim, painted parts and scroll down to ignition switch, you can blow it up to look at it from there.

Specualtion is the old part ending in 207 was letting water in it, or the something inside it was breaking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
grifscoots said:
This is what I do: carry a spare key and ring. If you get an EWS unplug from the antennae and plug it into your spare antennae. Hold your spare key in the hole of the spare antennae ring and start the bike like usual. Go home and fix it after completing your ride.

Murphy's Law of biking almost assures you'll never need it if you carry it..... but it can't hurt. You may save a stranded bud.
Grif - after starting do you unplug the spare EWS? If so, do you need to plug the original EWS back in before riding?
 

·
Strafist
Joined
·
2,544 Posts
howfly said:
Grif - after starting do you unplug the spare EWS? If so, do you need to plug the original EWS back in before riding?
I would just zip tie the spare EWS somewhere and leave it plugged in.... especially if you're in BFE.

BTW, Max BMW has the new ring antennae in stock for the same price as the N/A shown on the fiche. You just have to order it by the new part number.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Still reading about these failures after 3 years. BMW should GIVE each customer a spare antenna for the price they charge.

I wonder how many folks that bought these "new" generation BMWs will ever buy one again?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
838 Posts
SUCATI said:
I wonder how many folks that bought these "new" generation BMWs will ever buy one again?
Count me in!! My '06 has been virtually perfect. Original software, original airbox, no EWS, no brake pad warning, no final drive issues. I did have a problem with the original driver's seat, replaced under warranty with the new style. Couldn't be happier and I don't think I'm the exception.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
438 Posts
SKIZIKS said:
Count me in!! My '06 has been virtually perfect. Original software, original airbox, no EWS, no brake pad warning, no final drive issues. I did have a problem with the original driver's seat, replaced under warranty with the new style. Couldn't be happier and I don't think I'm the exception.
SKIZIKS
How many miles?
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top