BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've read alot of the posts on the new GT's problems (EWS, BBS, Stalling, Rear Drive, Hi Idle, etc). Have these been solved on the 09 and 10 1300gt's?
I've owned 2 04 K1200GT's without problems. Thinking about a new 2010 K1200GT......
Are they as buggy as the 2nd gen? The only problem with the 04's was the riding position. It appears the newest model is more upright. Thoughts appreciated!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
The 2009 is a K1300GT. It is still considered a second generation like the 06-08 K1200GT as far as I have heard (essentially the same bike). I have not heard any info on the 2010's yet. Not sure if any have been produced or delivered.
The 2009 still seem fraught with problems. Different than the 1200's though. Most complaints seem centered on the new control switches on the bars not working at times.
I'd try to find a low mileage 08 1200GT, best of the 1200GTs without the 1300Gt problems.

Gilly

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
I don't know about "more upright." People still add bar-backs and risers to them, as well as a seat mod to keep from sliding forward into the tank.

Personally, I don't think BMW has a handle on the idle circuit of the K1300 yet. Hell, they still cannot figure out what kind of oil to use and how much. :wtf:

Now is about the time for the 2010's to start showing up. Maybe we'll learn something shortly, although it seems to take about 3 months before the problems surface on forums since the dealer's run for the "We've never seen THAT before!" excuse once the stuff hits the fan.

Right now I'm hedging they may have a better handle on the S1000RR than the GT since the S1000RR has been ridden on the road and raced rather than zooming around nowhere on a robotic dyno. Time will tell. :popcorn:

Mack

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
Some early K13's have had switchgear failures, but there are upgraded parts available now. There is a Service Bulletin out on foaming brake fluid, but again there is already a fix for that. Some K13 riders have complained about random stalling and while this issue seems rare, there is no known fix yet, so that remains a concern. As for the rear drive, there were some improvements made and I have yet to hear of a failure, but we really don't have enough miles on enough bikes to draw any real conclusions yet.

I can say that the two K13GT demo bikes that I rode were both flawless, with the exception of some minor clutch squeal remaining. All of the little enhancements do add up to a better overall package. If it was me (and money wasn't the biggest concern), I'd go for a 2010 K13 and if anything crops up, make the dealer sort it out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts