Votes: 46 19.6%

Votes: 104 44.3%

Votes: 43 18.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
EWS failure two times, seven months apart. No parts replaced first time, due to not being in the affected VIN. Dealer said the antenna ring did not cure the problem. I think since they did not have my extra key they really could not test the new ring. See below for why.

The second time the ring really did fail. I tried maybe 50 times to get it to work. It finally worked on the 51 time, and i got home ok. Luckily I opened the fuel cap just in case the key worked. I immediately shut the bike off and back on when I got home and it showed EWS again.

I asked the dealer for a new ring before I moved the bike out of my garage. Thankfully he obliged, so I got to mess around with the old and new rings.

First I found the key had to be inside the ring for positive recognition. Hence you almost have to have a second key to use a spare ring. Some people have said you can just hold it next to the key in the ignition switch. I found that to not be true.

Second when I was stranded, I tried 25 plus times, then had lunch, tried 4 or 5 times, had beer, tried 25 more times, no joy... I gave up called AAA, had beer, tried 3 or 4 times, IT WORKED!!!! After I was home, the ring started recognizing the key approximately 50% of the time. :confused:

The bike had about 1500 miles on it the first time, and 5000 miles the second time.

Probably the most information on EWS is found at ADVrider.com here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245456

Information is a good thing. I have found this forum to be very accurate with potential problems. I have the clutch noise problem and brake pad light too, but I'm not worried because i know you all are keeping us in the know.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The EWS failure only happens on mine when the battery has been disconnected. Once I reconnect the battery and turn the ignition on, I get EWS, when I switch the ignition off and then back on, all seems to be fine. This has happened every time, I disconnect the battery since the airbox/software upgrade.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Two failures in two months

The EWS on my 2007 K12R Sport failed two months ago and I had to have it towed to my local dealer. They installed a new ring. I put about a thousand miles on it with no problems before it failed again today. Once again, had to have it towed to the dealer.

This is ruining my confidence in the bike.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'm wondering if something on the bike is causing the rings to fail. I have heard of several owners with more than one ring failure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2007 GT just had it's second antenna ring/EWS failure today. After getting the tow started to my location, I continued to periodically try and start the machine. On about the dozenth try it completed the start up cycle and the engined turned over. I was in West Sacramento, so I rode directly to A & S in Roseville, where I bought the bike. The service manager said they are now on their 5th generation of these rings. He pulled his last one for me, but said it wouldn't be ready until tomorrow. It was close to being due for its 12K service, so I'll get that done as well and pick it up on my next set of days off.

Boy was I pissed about this earlier today-- I was ready to tell A & S just sell the thing on consignment. But I calmed down, and realized that's not financially smart. Let the warranty fix it again, and I'll ride it for a while longer I figured. But, I really can't say how long I will have this bike, I'm not happy with it, and it will not remain in my stable. When it is replaced it will be with another brand.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I would really like the get one of these bikes but I was rolling over some numbers in my head. I know that here in the US, Yamaha sells a lot more FJRs that BMW sells KGTs but there are probably three of four times more one and two year old KGTs for sale than the same FJRs. The only thing I can see is that for whatever reason FJR owners are keeping their bikes and KGT owners are not. That's not inspiring confidence.

·
Registered
438 Posts
No EWS failure for me- but I only have 32,890 miles

bird said:
I know that here in the US, Yamaha sells a lot more FJRs that BMW sells KGTs but there are probably three of four times more one and two year old KGTs for sale than the same FJRs. The only thing I can see is that for whatever reason FJR owners are keeping their bikes and KGT owners are not.
Bird,
How do you know that there are more FJR's sold here? Since there are more Yamaha dealers one could conclude that there are more FJR's sold but I have never seen any real numbers.
I don't see very many FJR's on the road, at dealers, or anywhere, ST1300 either.

I am keeping my GT because I am still waiting for my to EWS fail.

I have driven mine about as far away from the BMW dealer network in the lower 48 as I could. I was even 80 miles from cell phone service. Didn't bother me one bit.
I don't think the GT is the bike for you.

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
If that's accurate and not just an assumption based on a very small data sample, then I think that's a gross simplification of a much more complicated scenario. If it helps you to justify buying an FJR over a GT, that's fine. :)

We got a lot of questions such as "which bike is best for me?" or "why should I spend $$ more to get the GT over the FJR, C14, or ST13?". We don't know your financial situation, experience level, or which bike is gonna feel best to you. That's why you gotta ride them all, then justify your own wants and needs with your own budget. No one here can do that for you.

I looked at them all, then bought the bike that works best for me. In the end, that's the best that any of us can hope for. :)

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
Actually, I see a lot of FJR's in the Long Distance community. Not as many as BMW's, but still quite a few. And in every case if you ask them what they like about the FJR or why they chose it, it always comes down to "performance for the price".

Hell, I can buy a new Camaro or Mustang and get good performance for the price. But it still ain't no BMW. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
bird said:
I would really like the get one of these bikes but I was rolling over some numbers in my head. I know that here in the US, Yamaha sells a lot more FJRs that BMW sells KGTs but there are probably three of four times more one and two year old KGTs for sale than the same FJRs. The only thing I can see is that for whatever reason FJR owners are keeping their bikes and KGT owners are not. That's not inspiring confidence.
As it happens I was riding with a group on this last failure. One of the guys was someone I've done a lot of riding with, including an SS2000 last year. He rides an FJR. He stayed with me and rode to A & S just to make sure everthng worked out, and I got there ok.

He confided in my that he's not sure he'd buy another FJR. While he paid less, he ended up dumping money into the bike to make it what he wanted: electronic cruise, bigger altinator, extra lights. He also had some heat issues.

No, I'm not going to cheerlead for BMW right now, this EWS thing still has me pissed off. But they all have their warts.

·
Registered
122 Posts
tlash said:
As it happens I was riding with a group on this last failure. One of the guys was someone I've done a lot of riding with, including an SS2000 last year. He rides an FJR. He stayed with me and rode to A & S just to make sure everthng worked out, and I got there ok.

He confided in my that he's not sure he'd buy another FJR. While he paid less, he ended up dumping money into the bike to make it what he wanted: electronic cruise, bigger altinator, extra lights. He also had some heat issues.

No, I'm not going to cheerlead for BMW right now, this EWS thing still has me pissed off. But they all have their warts.
That's one of the things. Out of the box, the KGT is set up right. By the polls most people are happy, but for a 20k bike you shouldn't have to mess with poor dealers and reaccuring problems 3 years into a model run.

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
bird said:
. . . but for a 20k bike you shouldn't have to mess with poor dealers and reaccuring problems 3 years into a model run.
So this would be your first BMW then? :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Meese said:
So this would be your first BMW then? :D

To be fair to the dealers, at least the two I've dealt with on this issue, Santa Rosa & A&S, I've been treated well. They are caught in the middle, and I'm sure they don't like having pissed off customers. But you are absolutely right when you say that there should not be reoccurring failures of a $100 part that turns a $20K bike into a paper weight.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ews Warning

This happened to me yesterday. 2007 K 1200 GT. 8980 miles. Had to have it towed to BMW dealer 200 miles away. Bummer. Hope they can fix it.

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
There is a PUMA Measure on the BMW Online System that your dealer should be well acquainted with...

US 11588817-04 - "EWS" fault display in the instrument cluster

Complaint

Motorcycle does not start. "EWS" is intermittently or permanently displayed in the instrument cluster

Cause

1. The battery was previously disconnected and was connected before the ignition was switched on for the first time.

2. There are increasing failures of the EWS ring aerial on motorcycles manufactured on or after 18.9.2006

Measure

In rare cases, the BSM-K or BMS-KP software may not have been started (booted) completely correctly when the ignition is switched on. A fully booted BMS-K(P) always shows the gear indicator in the instrument panel, provided that the gearbox potentiometer is NOT faulty.

1. If the "EWS" display appears in the instrument panel and the low-beam headlight lights up when the ignition is switched on for the first time after the battery has been connected, it is NOT a ring aerial fault.

It is a booting error in the BMS-K(P). Do NOT replace any parts.
The fault does NOT occur on either of the two K25MO models or the K71/K72 models.

Once the ignition has been switched on for a second time, the EWS system functions normally again.

In the event of an EWS complaint, please ask the customer whether the battery had previously been disconnected and whether the fault occurred the first time the ignition was switched on.

2. Please carry out interactive diagnostics on the EWS system using GT1. Move (pull, push, kink, etc.) the line, or wiring harness, during measurement of the EWS ring aerial to the BMS-K(P). Check for overtightened cable ties that may have cut into the wiring harness or otherwise damaged one or more lines.

If you cannot find a fault by means of interactive diagnostics, GT1 will first prompt you to replace the EWS ring aerial. Proceed with the replacement of the EWS ring aerial.

Please do NOT replace the BMS-K(P) or BMS-KP.

·
Registered
353 Posts
JamesM said:
I'm wondering if something on the bike is causing the rings to fail. I have heard of several owners with more than one ring failure.
20% failure rate!! :wtf: :yeow: :wtf:

Beaten only by HI/BBS 50% rate.

I think this is the key (pun not intended). BMW has been focusing on the antenna, as shown by their coming out with 5(!!) part nos. to try and fix this. Clearly they don't have root cause, and are thrashing.

Someone who has experienced multiple failures should try a new ecu (I assume the ecu is master of the EWS) instead of a new antenna, at BMWs expense. Just after posting, read the previous post, where BMW instructs techs to 'please do not replace' ecu. Hmmm.

I just upgraded my antenna to #247, then just saw a post from someone who had their 2nd failure just after installing a 247. :banghead:

I've never experienced a failure, and had the new one put in as insurance, as I have a 150 mile commute every week over isolated roads. At least I now have a spare antenna that has worked for 13k miles.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts