BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I am considering installing an aftermarket exhaust system.

What would be the difference if I go with an exhaust only or should I buy the full system?

From reading some specifications the gain in power is very minimal, the material of the pipes is the same as the original and the price of the full system is about 8 to 900 dollars more compared to the exhaust only.

But if we take the money out of the equation on purely technical note what is your input on the subject?

Cheers,
Nick

·
Registered
407 Posts
Is true many manufacturer systems are top shelf nowadays. Have heard reports of other makes where aftermarket slip-ons deliver more performance than aftermarket full pipe. Not sure about the K1200S. I went with a slip-on knowing the FI would adapt to it well, would save a few pounds versus the stock cannister, and would also have a nice sound. And you know, I'll never reach the performance edge of this thing, or realize the *potential* few extra ponies or pounds saved by going full pipe, which would also likely require a FI adjustment. But if you want to explore the performance boundaries, tinker with the FI, and spend the $$$, then full pipe could be your choice.

Have the Laser Hotcam installed and would do it again without hesitation... performance, appearance, and luscious deep exhaust note.

·
Registered
324 Posts
from our dyno experience, the full system (in this case, remus) will provide more power between 4.5k - 6.5k and above 9k vs. a slip-on. here is a dyno chart comparing the remus full system vs. just the slip-on:

hope this helps.

·
Registered
896 Posts
My opinion, get the slip on. With the BIG $$$ you'll save over the full system you can do a couple of track days and get better at putting all the power the bike already has to good use :)

·
Registered
730 Posts
The full system imo, is just too expensive.

If it were $300 or even $500 more, but it's almost a grand more.

Unless your racing it, I just can't see it. Tank bag, cf hugger, led's, clear lenses,
evo filters, radar and still change left vs the full system.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to everyone.

I am considering the Laser Hot Cam and the full system has just been released.

From the official info the gain in power for the full system is less then 4HP over the slip on, there is only one consideration though that the full system would be better adapted to a future aftermarket chip which is currently developed for the Laser system.

The question is however do we really need more power?

Cheers Guys,
Nick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.