BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rode the R last weekend and wasn't overly impressed with the exhaust note. I'm thinking the S must sound similar. I know there are a number of aftermarket solutions available. What do they sound like? Do they give the exhaust a lower throaty note? Are there any sound clips around. Thanks.

PS I must admit I still miss the sound of my old 93 VFR (V-four with Hindle exhaust).

·
Registered
13 Posts
There's a few

sincGT said:
Rode the R last weekend and wasn't overly impressed with the exhaust note. I'm thinking the S must sound similar. I know there are a number of aftermarket solutions available. What do they sound like? Do they give the exhaust a lower throaty note? Are there any sound clips around. Thanks.

PS I must admit I still miss the sound of my old 93 VFR (V-four with Hindle exhaust).
Pirate's Cove has a few sound bites for some of the exhausts he carries. (see attached)
http://piratesk12site.net/LaserR.htm
I actually like the stock sound but you can bolt on a few ponies with the aftermarket units and they look a hell of a lot better.

Best regards,
Lightspeed

·
Registered
258 Posts
Just put the Akropovic CF on my S. Much improved sound but not too loud. Quite a bit throatier and you know its there but not what I would term obnoxious.
Very well made can. There are many good choices out there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Aftermarket Can

:) Hello, new to this forum, but have been part of the opposed engine contingent for 51 years. Installed a Staintune,sounds great with or without the baffle, doesn't need repacking and the build quality is excellent. Price is right,check it out.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where and how did you purchase? I'm in Canada, just wondering if it would be a hassle ordering the Staintune...

·
Registered
107 Posts
The muffler sound gets better with age as the baffling material deteriorates. But if you want a really deep throaty sound, you'd need an Italian V-twin engine ;-)

·
There's a pill for everything
829 Posts
Either that or

tatran said:
The muffler sound gets better with age as the baffling material deteriorates. But if you want a really deep throaty sound, you'd need an Italian V-twin engine ;-)
Marilyn Chambers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Try a Remus Exhaust

I have the Remus Slip On system and it sounds great. Not too loud but very deep and throaty. Also sounds different than Jap 4 cylinder bikes. That is a good thing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have the Evoluzione race filters and the LeoVince slip-on and the bike makes a very nice sound! A combination of whoosing and roaring combined! Gives me goosebumps at full song!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm going to look into the Remus for the R. Although since getting the bike I've decided it actually does have a pretty nice sound to it (compared to the GT). Interesting idle, kind of a rumpety rump like it has a bit of a cam. It might I guess or perhaps it's the high compression. Whatever it is, I like it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
DerEifelFahrer said:
:) Hello, new to this forum, but have been part of the opposed engine contingent for 51 years. Installed a Staintune,sounds great with or without the baffle, doesn't need repacking and the build quality is excellent. Price is right,check it out.
i`ll second that mate i`m well impressed with my staintune end can

·
Registered
15 Posts
I test rode a S the other week with a Two-Brothers slip-on. Kinda raspy. It was the type of sound I'd like for short trips, not extended ones. It was quite a bit louder than my 954RR with a full Akrapovic exhaust. Also lots of gurgling when off-throttle. Lots of good choices out there, but if I wind up with a K-bike - probably go Akrapovic on it also.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just put the full Akrapovic system on my K1200S, including http://www.evoluzione.net/ intake system. It looks good, louder than stock but not too loud. Much lighter weight, and eliminates risk of 3rd degree burns on the stock silencer. Also disconnected the O2 sensor, so engine runs only open loop mode now.

Overall it's louder and sportier sounding (but not too loud). Doesn't drone at cruise speed. Sounds aggressive at idle but not like a Harley with straight pipes. At high rpm it's like a F1 race car. Feels faster, but no dyno test yet (maybe next week). ECU software is 7.0. There's a little popping on overrun, but very mild. Generally feels more responsive and sportier than before.

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have the Staintune, love the look, sounds good at low speeds....and like an Indy car when pushed hard, very easy install as it is one piece to the exhaust header, and doesn't need the spring things.

After clicking on the photo, place your cursor on the photo and you can enlarge it for a better view.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
For what it's worth...

In installed the full Remus Titanium exhaust system with Evo Race Air Filters... Probably made a 10 HP increase and the sound is deep, impressive, and unless you look for the blue/white circle, everybody thinks it's a big-bore Jap bike...

Off the line, it is a beautiful thing and demands your respect.

I am getting the 7.0 update this weekend with the 6k mile service. I would be willing to give up 10 HP for smoother shifting, a linear power curve, and potential life savings of the engine... We'll see...

Cheers!

FYI - I looked at EVERYTHING else out there and decided on the Remus. It is engineered specifically for the "S" and has the backing of BMW... Z-Tech full pipe system was too stubby and would have burned the panniers.

·
Registered
431 Posts
If I had the money I would install this:
(listen to it here (video clip 7,4 MB)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts