BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
What is the general expected mileage for these bikes. I change the front every 5000-6000 miles running Michelin Pilots. The last 2 started forming a visible ridge down the center. Strange, as I rarely run on Interstates and try to use secondary roads even when traveling. Has anyone else had this experience?

Bob
04 K1200GT

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just picked up A 2004 k1200gt with 5000 miles and there is that same center ridge on the front tire.
It is the original stock Metzeler tire.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Pilot....Road/Road 2/ Power, etc? Each is different construction. I get 7-8k on Pilot Road tires on my RS. Pretty even wear with probably even split between twisty and non-twisty routes. Pilot Power gives about 5K, Bridgestone 010 f 020 r combo gives me pretty close to 8k consistently. Have run through 18 sets on this bike, PM me if you want a spreadsheet summary....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, after reading thru some similar threads here it seems like the 5-6000 range is about right. I've kept replacements to the same Michelin Pilot Road tires that it came with, and after speaking to other riders some have reported the same ridge. I'm a bit fanatical about checking tire pressure so it isn't that. I guess it's just the way they wear.

Bob
04 K1200GT

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Firenailer said:
Thanks for the replies, after reading thru some similar threads here it seems like the 5-6000 range is about right. I've kept replacements to the same Michelin Pilot Road tires that it came with, and after speaking to other riders some have reported the same ridge. I'm a bit fanatical about checking tire pressure so it isn't that. I guess it's just the way they wear.

Bob
04 K1200GT
My Pilot Roads did that too, I put it down to riding in very hot weather/bad pavement with lots of camping gear on the bike. About the same milleage too when they developped the "Ridge".....makes for leaning over in curves somewhat interesting when you hit the "Ridge"....just have to keep leaning. :teeth :teeth :teeth

But what gets me is that BMW does not recommend a different tire pressure between a loaded vs an unloaded bike. I had other BMWs, and they always did before by a couple PSI. That could make all the difference to avoid developping a ridge..... :dunno:

But I am switching to PR2s soon, looks like they will do better. :thumb:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah the ridge gets exciting after awhile doesn't it? I was thinking it might be weight related as well but I just don't really know, I just change them out when things get too exciting. I do like the way the michs respond wet or dry though. Let us know how you like the new ones.

Bob
04 K1200GT

·
Registered
283 Posts
Curious - Ridge?

Just curious what you are seeing as a ridge. Do you have a narrow band of rubber that is not as well worn that remains in the center and the tread just off center gets well worn? If so, I would assume this is similar to what I experience. But, my 'ridge' might be wider. I travel very tight twisties and get pretty much all the way over, but the most worn section is an area about 1/5" wide that begins about 1/4" from the very edge. I do scuff all the way to the edge, but don't get there as often as I would on a track....not polite open road riding. So, my 'ridge' is around 2" wide in the center of the front on Pilot Road tires.....worn, but not as worn as the areas off that center. And for sure it gets interesting dropping off that edge of less worn tread to the heavily worn area as I approach the end of the tread life.

·
Registered
437 Posts
am i doing something wrong?

i always get around 18k miles on tires. and yes, my rear flattens with a chicken strip, but in dry weather that means more rubber on the road. my mileage results have been similar with z4, z6, pirelli and pilot roads.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I got 15,000 miles from a set of Z-6's and then I pushed another set for 22,000 miles. They had the cords showing on the rear and the front was very lumpy. Ok so I am cheap. But this changing out tires every six thousand miles is crazy. I am not a rich man. I only weigh 150lbs and maybe that helps? Just got some PR-2's and will see how they wear.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I get 10000km out of both Michelin PR2CT and Michelin Power (single compound) fronts, so the PR2CT is not worth the extra cost. The agrevated wear appears to be on the sides (where you want it for best grip) which causes the flat spot in the centre. Buy this stage, wear is down to the minimum on the edges, so new rubber required. I get 15000km from a PR2CT rear apposed to 10000 from a standard PR, so definitely worth the additional expense. No flat spotting either. My riding is all open road with HEAPS of twisties :) :) :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Whatever works for you is fine, and I might be a bit overcautious, but considering the fact that we are riding on a contact patch the size of a silver dollar at best, does it really make sense to risk your life on lumpy, cord showing tires to save a couple of hundred bucks? We're not riding vespa's here.

Bob
04 K1200GT :boom:

·
Riding in company
292 Posts
Is it just an accident that nobody has mentioned that these 2CTs are dual compound tires, with harder and more wear resistant rubber in the middle?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have tried quite a few different tires and I have never developed a ridge in the middle. I wonder if it's possible you may be carrying plenty of speed through the corners and are thus wearing the shoulders of the tire but perhaps not accelerating very much between corners. Pre-corner braking will wear the front tire in the middle just as quickly as hard cornering wears the shoulders.

However if the ridge you refer to is actually a bald spot in the middle and is likely not because of too much straight line riding it could easily be due to under-inflation. Improper inflation, whether over or under, does have a marked affect on tire wear. Also suspension setup can have a significant impact on front tire wear. Much more so than the rear. Conventional wisdom is that if the front is valved or preloaded softly such that the front of the bike dives in the corners then cornering can be improved. That may work ever so slightly on short, light, pure sport bikes from Japan or Italy but the BMW K chassis is simply too heavy and too long to benefit much from that kind of setup and it just eats up tires with little or no benefit.

The only abnormal wear I ever see is if I spend too much time in the city and not enough time in the twisties. Left hand right angle corners at intersections usually see slightly more speed than the sharper right turns (in countries where you drive in the right lane, that is) so I sometimes see a tiny bit more wear just off center on the left side but that's only if I spend too much time in the city. For a soft gumball sport tire I'll be lucky to get 5,000 kms. A dual compound sport touring tire will usually get me between 12,000 and 15,000 kms but some brands wear more quickly than others. I find Michelins, Avons, Pirellis and the like give me the lowest milage and Continental and Bridgestone gives me the greatest. Each rider will also see different numbers as it all depends on how smoothly you ride. You can ride quite fast and still get good milage if you are smooth. Get competitive with your buddies and start doing that choppy cut-and-thrust stuff and you'll see more wear.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
BillA said:
Is it just an accident that nobody has mentioned that these 2CTs are dual compound tires, with harder and more wear resistant rubber in the middle?
Well, do we know that the center section is harder, or is it that they make the sides softer and stickier?
Reason I ask is that the tire wear doesn't seem to improve any with the dual compound formulas, so maybe it means I can push it harder in the corners now.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had considered the dual compound aspect, and it might have something to do with the wear pattern, but it doesn't seem to happen to everyone. Just as we've seen here some guys immediately recognize it as something they've experienced, others have been fine. Also, it only affects the front tire, the rear shows equal wear across the surface, and I changed it at 12k.

I'm not an unusually fast rider, and while I do carry my speed through corners, I try to be as smooth as possible without any unusually hard braking going in, or screaming coming out of the apex, well, most of the time :D . I'm a lighter rider at 165lbs, and as I said I'm a bit fanatical about the pre flight check, going over fluids, lights, and pressure before heading out. As far as the suspension set up I ride with it a click or two to the stiff side.

Checking around at rallys or charity rides I've seen the same ridge on other bikes so maybe it is just the dual compound factor. It may very well be the way the two compounds wear. I guess if mileage was the target the harder compound would be the center section.

Bob
04 K1200GT

·
Registered
311 Posts
GTJay said:
Just picked up A 2004 k1200gt with 5000 miles and there is that same center ridge on the front tire.
It is the original stock Metzeler tire.
Was the Metz stock on the 2004? My 2003 had the crappy as BT-020's on it. All kinds of weird wear on that tread. When I swapped to the Z6's things got much better.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mrlajoie said:
Was the Metz stock on the 2004? My 2003 had the crappy as BT-020's on it. All kinds of weird wear on that tread. When I swapped to the Z6's things got much better.

Mine came with The Michelins, but I have seen others with Bridgestones.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
OK, here are some ridges, Michelin PRs with about 13,000 Km on them. Ridges are even on both sides, cheap camera only shows one side, but they are even, and front to back also. As I mentioned earlier most of this happened in high heat,higher speeds :teeth , bad roads and loaded with the camping gear. Not pushing the bike too much in curves when loaded due to the crappy OEM shocks, but that may change as soon as I get a set of Ohlins. :teeth :teeth :teeth

To an old tire guy like me, looks like overinflation, but they were in specs with BMW, and I have 4-5 gauges all reading the same. Interesting comment on an earlier post as to if Michelin made the sides softer on the PR2s, keeping the same compound for the center.... :dunno:

But it does make leaning over the ridges.....interesting! :teeth

1 - 20 of 43 Posts