BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '03 K12RS, 6800 miles and my warrantee runs out 2/06. What do you guys recommend? Extended warrantee (and if so, which company)? Or save the money and use it towards repairs? Thanks in advance, Leo.

·
Registered
186 Posts
mr911turbo said:
I have a '03 K12RS, 6800 miles and my warrantee runs out 2/06. What do you guys recommend? Extended warrantee (and if so, which company)? Or save the money and use it towards repairs? Thanks in advance, Leo.
I would check to see what the extended warranty contract covers if you decide on one. You may still get stuck paying diagnostic time. Most coverage will only pay for parts and labor to replace the defective part. As a general rule, it's still customer pay until proven the failure is covered under your contract. Most often they'll get an adjuster to come to the shop to inspect the defect or failure. They'll want to make sure the failure was not caused by neglect of maintenance or owner abuse. Squeaks, rattles, costmetics, and normal wear and tear items are 'not' covered.

If one has hi mileage and not wanting to trade up for a newer vehicle, then extended warranty may work to your advantage. Read the fine print first. :)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Extended Warranty

I decided to cover my own cost, but when mine ran out, it was due to miles, not time. By then, the rear seal wasn't leaking, always doing in the clutch, and the rest of the covered items are pretty well bullet-proof.

Make sure the warranty you buy is accepted by your local servicing dealer. Warranty companies "can" be fly by night and flacky to pay claims. I worked in this biz for a while. The can make used car dealers seem like choir boys.

Check the one offered by Bob's BMW. They are a reputable dealer, I seriously considered theirs before going self-insured. A good warranty will cost upwards of a grand!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts