BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was working on my new to me (got last year) 2003 K1200GT and putting together a "tool list" of basic tools I want to carry on bike. Part of that process was looking at the factory tool kit to see what it contained. In the tool kit there is an item described in manual as "tubular extension". On one end it is stamped flat and on the other end it is tubular but has rubber grip cover slid over it. I can find no description for what its an extension of. If I take off the rubber cover the round diameter slides perfectly over the "wheel stud socket wrench" handle. So my assumption is that its an extension for this wrench. But it bugged me it had a cover over that end and the stamped end look like its made to either fit into a slot or go over a flat bar. So to make sure I'm not missing anything I though I better ask, is this tool an extension of the wheel wrench and/or does it have another purpose with its flat end? Thanks, Sid

·
Registered
170 Posts
The rubber cover is used when you are removing bodywork, to cover the end of the front fairing stay so you don't scratch the side panel on the sharp metal when you remove it. Don't know if that makes any sense. Look at the videos showing how to remove the body work on an RS or GT and they show what it's for.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I would have never guessed that. I haven't had the pleasure of tackling the bodywork yet. Appreciate the tip on the videos, that will be helpful.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I was working on my new to me (got last year) 2003 K1200GT and putting together a "tool list" of basic tools I want to carry on bike. Part of that process was looking at the factory tool kit to see what it contained. In the tool kit there is an item described in manual as "tubular extension". On one end it is stamped flat and on the other end it is tubular but has rubber grip cover slid over it. I can find no description for what its an extension of. If I take off the rubber cover the round diameter slides perfectly over the "wheel stud socket wrench" handle. So my assumption is that its an extension for this wrench. But it bugged me it had a cover over that end and the stamped end look like its made to either fit into a slot or go over a flat bar. So to make sure I'm not missing anything I though I better ask, is this tool an extension of the wheel wrench and/or does it have another purpose with its flat end? Thanks, Sid
1) See attached photo below... the YELLOW arrow points to the extension you are referring to. It is an extension to give you more leverage when removing / tightening the rear wheel lug nuts using the other wrench pointed by GREEN arrow.

Automotive lighting Circuit component Audio equipment Passive circuit component Font

2) the rubber cap at end of the extension tool is described in one of the owner's manual (around page 21 but ONLY in later edition for 2003-2005 models). In this video on YouTube you can see at position near 9 minutes time, the usage of this rubber cap when removing side fairing. You may want to view the whole video before you remove the fairings for the 1st time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Sailor for the detail and pictures. I watched to point where it shows rubber caps being used. would have never figured that out without video. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2003 BMW K1200 GT
8 Posts
Related Question. I bought my new-to-me 2003 K1200GT about a year ago. The tool kit wasn't in its storage slot beneath the seat (above the battery). It was provided along with an assortment of other accessories that the previous owner threw in because he had no need for them. I have tried evert way I know of to wrap the tool kit up in its casing and slide it into the storage slot...but no matter how I do it, I can't get the seat to properly lock down. It locks down without a problem if I don't have the tool kit on board...but not with it stored in the slot. As a result, I haven't had it on-board with me while riding...which makes a guy a tad bit nervous. So my question is probably simple...how do you successfully wrap and fold the tool kit so that it fits in the slot?

·
Registered
2003 BMW K1200 GT
8 Posts
Related to the above...It occurred to me that I may not have the correct tools in their correct places in the wrap. Can someone show me a picture of how you place them in the wrap so they all fit and end up narrow enough to successfully lock the seat?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Does your bike have the correct battery? The previous owner of my bike put in an aftermarket battery, the terminals of which will not allow the tool tray to sit deep enough to clear the seat pan. Like you I have to ether leave the tool kit behind or carry it in a side pannier.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mid Life Kid, I should be last to respond because like you I've had my 2003 K1200GT about the same amount of time. Since I didn't get my bike new I have no idea how tool kit is originally packed. When I received my bike the tool kit was under the seat in tray but the tire repair kit (CO2 cartridge's, plugs, patch and cement kit) were in little pouch (not BMW pouch, looked like something they picked up) and it was under the seat in the document tray on the seat pan. Now, while playing around I tried putting the repair kit in with the tool kit but it just made it too packed to sit well in the tray. My gut feeling is it was not originally in the document tray and probably in tool kit, but I just couldn't get it to work. Since I wanted to get small compressor instead of the CO2 cartridge's I just put tire repair kit with compressor in small pouch in saddlebag and tool kit then fit ok in tray. I'm going to try an upload (haven't posted pic before) pic of tool pouch as I have it packed (remember, not how factory does it, just my way) and with it sitting in tray which I happen to have out because working on bike. Hope this helps.
Product Black Bag Rectangle Grey
Rectangle Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive tire Funeral

1 - 9 of 9 Posts