BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While coming back from the gym a couple days ago, pulled up to an intersection and there beside me was a guy riding an early to mid 80's suzuki cruiser style bike. No helmet, but he did have eye protection, a pair of woodworking goggles, the plastic type used to keep sawdust out of your eyes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Actually, if I had to pick one or the other, I would have eye protection before head protection. I wear glasses, and once I get up to 15-20 mph, the wind whips around the frame bows fast enough to make my eyes water and vision blurry - so I have to put the face shield down. That's no way to ride - I can imagine it's even worse on the unprotected eye. Plus, if you got a stone/bug in the eye, you'd definitely be going down.

Being from the ATGATT school, though, I don't think I'd skimp on either!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I always wear safety glasses under my helmet sheild. Just another piece of protection.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Bugs have a way of getting past my windscreen, past my half open visor, and smacking
on my Caberg Justissimo's internal sunshield. My glasses are a last line of defense.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Mark_MB750M said:
Actually, if I had to pick one or the other, I would have eye protection before head protection. I wear glasses, and once I get up to 15-20 mph, the wind whips around the frame bows fast enough to make my eyes water and vision blurry - so I have to put the face shield down. That's no way to ride - I can imagine it's even worse on the unprotected eye. Plus, if you got a stone/bug in the eye, you'd definitely be going down.

Being from the ATGATT school, though, I don't think I'd skimp on either!
There are a number of sunglass retailers who sell motorcycle specific sunglasses with a foam rubber seal on the inside of the lense frame to keep all of the wind out. I use a pair whenever i ride and only ever lower my visor at night or when its pissing down.

I too am starting to wear reading glasses more often and I recently found a U.S.A. website that sold the glasses that i just described for riding but with prescription lenses!

The ones that I currently wear are H.D brand but there were at least a couple of other brands this site had that they could do a script into. I think WileyX was one.

·
Addict-oholic
1,416 Posts
I used to ride my first bike, a Vespa, with nothing but those
bubble goggles" until I got stung on the nexk by a wasp.

The other day with my full face flip helmet wearing glasses and a windhield, I got hit in the face with a small stone, becaues I needed some air and had the face shield up a short way. BTW I wear progressive,auto darkening lenses.

There is no way anyone should ride without face protection.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I wear cheapo shades that wrap around and i bought some stick on plastic reading 1/4 lens that stick on the lower inside of the lens...works great...can be removed and reused..I lose sun glasses alot...and those polarized ones SUCK! for reading any type of LCD...useless

·
Registered
531 Posts
i've seen a lot of dopes riding with no helmet and no eye protection either. saw some squid on the the road one day a few months ago riding without eye protection and some thing went straight into his eye. i wouldn't even think for a moment about riding without eye protection. one day a couple of years ago i was riding with my face shield up trying to get some air and a wasp hit my sunglasses. if i hadn't had those glasses on that wasp would have ended up in my eye. it's bothersome and uncomfortable getting an eye lash in your eye and i don't want to even think about how painful it would be to get a stone or wasp in your eye traveling at 60mph. you only get one set of eyes and it's important to take care of them.

·
Registered
650 Posts
wellcraft said:
i've seen a lot of dopes riding with no helmet and no eye protection either. saw some squid on the the road one day a few months ago riding without eye protection and some thing went straight into his eye. i wouldn't even think for a moment about riding without eye protection. one day a couple of years ago i was riding with my face shield up trying to get some air and a wasp hit my sunglasses. if i hadn't had those glasses on that wasp would have ended up in my eye. it's bothersome and uncomfortable getting an eye lash in your eye and i don't want to even think about how painful it would be to get a stone or wasp in your eye traveling at 60mph. you only get one set of eyes and it's important to take care of them.
I had a mate put his bike down, injure his pillion and lose almost all of the sight in one eye when were teens by taking a stone staight into the eyeball.
You guys are probably already wearing these but I thought id post the website anyway.
I like to still feel fresh air around my face when I ride that probably comes from Harley riding with an open face helmet. These provide me with eye protection and keep the wind out of my eyes.
www.framesdirect.com/framesfp/Wiley_X-tdkalb/lb.html

·
Registered
74 Posts
I always wear eye protection... I have a pair of Oakley glasses, bright and unsightly as they are, can deflect buckshot at near point blank. I might not have a face, but my eyes will be safe to a degree.

And a helmet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dadicool59 said:
There are a number of sunglass retailers who sell motorcycle specific sunglasses with a foam rubber seal on the inside of the lense frame to keep all of the wind out. I use a pair whenever i ride and only ever lower my visor at night or when its pissing down.

I too am starting to wear reading glasses more often and I recently found a U.S.A. website that sold the glasses that i just described for riding but with prescription lenses!

The ones that I currently wear are H.D brand but there were at least a couple of other brands this site had that they could do a script into. I think WileyX was one.
I ended up going to a local optician and getting safety/shooting glasses (Smith and Wesson). They're not quite wraparound, but you have the side shields to keep wind and debris out. Very helpful with an open face helmet, but I also like them with the full face in case I leave the faceshield open for some breeze.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts