BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anybody found a good mounting system for a FastLane or EZ-Pass transponder on their K12GT? My left mirror hole is taken with a ZTechnik mount for my radar detector. As I understand it, the toll transponders must be vertical to work properly. :confused: Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Ride safe! :clap:
Peter

·
Registered
749 Posts
pfiedler said:
Has anybody found a good mounting system for a FastLane or EZ-Pass transponder on their K12GT? My left mirror hole is taken with a ZTechnik mount for my radar detector. As I understand it, the toll transponders must be vertical to work properly. :confused: Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Peter
I just called EZ Pass, and ordered a new one, since mine almost never works in the tank bag. It worked OK in the tank bag on my RT. I was wondering if the signal for the EWS was effecting it, or the cell phone, or the bluetooth connection to the Zumo, and helmet. Plenty of radio waves bouncing around. :)

·
2 heads are better than 1
284 Posts
The left breast pocket on my riding jacket has worked fine for mine on multiple bridges around the SF Bay Area.

·
Registered
749 Posts
DavidTaylor said:
The left breast pocket on my riding jacket has worked fine for mine on multiple bridges around the SF Bay Area.
That sounds like a plan

·
Addict-oholic
1,423 Posts
I have a plastic holder with a suction cup. I place it on the lower left corner of the windshield, as E-Z Pass workers say this is the best spot. Never a problem..

·
Registered
6 Posts
EZ Pass on KGT

When I ordered my EZ Pass I received two types. one small white one intended for vehicle use and a 'large" black one intended for motorcycle use.

I have mine mounted on top of my battery, secured with velcro & two sided tape then hidden underneath the fiberglass battery cover. It works just fine at the toll booths and the USA-CAN bridges at Ft Erie/Buffalo & Lewiston that I have crossed so far.

Note: other friends of mine who similarly ordered their transponders simply received two of the "smaller" auto windshield style ones. Those didn't work when simply contained in a soft saddle bag!

If yours doesn't work buried under the fairings as mine does, you might want to try requesting the MC specific one.

regards
Bob
2008 KGT

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2008-K1200GT said:
That sounds like a plan
I was told by the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority folks (the keepers of the FastLane) that putting the transponder in my jacket pocket was the best bet. I did that, but going through the tolls into New Hampshire just over the MA border, nothing happened. No sensing of me or my transponder. No lights...no buzzers..nothing! In fact I found that if you stay WAY to the right in the transponder lanes, the system doesn't even know that you're there! The next time I went through, some little guy jumped out of the booth and stared at me but, thanks to the K, I was a quickly disappearing spec of Adventurin Silver for him! I'd rather remain legit for obvious reasons however!!

·
Registered
677 Posts
michaelmanchester said:
i mounted mine under the black plastic above the instrument panel. have never had a problem with it reading and it is almost totally hidden
+1 on that location. In fact I was looking at that small black plastic wind splitter and realized I could attach the toll pass with the standard supplied "velcro" and then replace the splitter and it holds the toll pass secure and jsut showing a little white so I can see it hasn't 'disappeared'. Works great there and is less visible than stuck to my previous Aeroflow windshield.

·
Registered
75 Posts
lhendrick said:
+1 on that location. In fact I was looking at that small black plastic wind splitter and realized I could attach the toll pass with the standard supplied "velcro" and then replace the splitter and it holds the toll pass secure and jsut showing a little white so I can see it hasn't 'disappeared'. Works great there and is less visible than stuck to my previous Aeroflow windshield.
+1 here, too. I've had my iPass (Illinois) in this location for 3 years without a problem. I covered it with black Gorilla tape to make it less noticeable.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My EZpass transponder is in the front of my tank bag, held in place with velcro. It has worked everytime. But then, when I am going for a ride where I will go through toll booths, I always have the tank bag. :dunno:

·
Registered
135 Posts
I also keep my EZ-Pass in my tank bag and haven't had any issues.

Note though that it's a 'motorcycle specific' EZ-Pass. In PA, you can request a motorcycle version, which (according to the person I requested it from) is apparently different than the version for cars (I think I was told it had a stronger transmitting range). I got it a few years ago and I don't remember there being any physical difference between the tags, but.....

You didn't mention having problems with your tag, but if you are having issues it might help to ask your EZ-Pass provider if there's an MC specific version available.

·
Addict-oholic
1,423 Posts
mjkuhno said:
I also keep my EZ-Pass in my tank bag and haven't had any issues.

Note though that it's a 'motorcycle specific' EZ-Pass. In PA, you can request a motorcycle version, which (according to the person I requested it from) is apparently different than the version for cars (I think I was told it had a stronger transmitting range). I got it a few years ago and I don't remember there being any physical difference between the tags, but.....

You didn't mention having problems with your tag, but if you are having issues it might help to ask your EZ-Pass provider if there's an MC specific version available.
The NY EZ Pass version is the same as the auto version with "MC" in big letters on the visible side so that the inspectors can see if you are using it in your car to get lower rates.
For cars, they make a bolt on version that attaches on the front license plate. It is not avaialble for motorcycles.

·
Registered
23 Posts
pfiedler said:
I was told by the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority folks (the keepers of the FastLane) that putting the transponder in my jacket pocket was the best bet. I did that, but going through the tolls into New Hampshire just over the MA border, nothing happened. No sensing of me or my transponder. No lights...no buzzers..nothing! In fact I found that if you stay WAY to the right in the transponder lanes, the system doesn't even know that you're there! The next time I went through, some little guy jumped out of the booth and stared at me but, thanks to the K, I was a quickly disappearing spec of Adventurin Silver for him! I'd rather remain legit for obvious reasons however!!
<< in thickest Boston accent>> New Hampshire?!!! Why would you want to go there?!

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
I try to avoid roads where I would need an EZ Pass so it is rare that I am on my bike and a road that uses EZ Pass. I used to try the pocket thing and only worked sometimes. Tank bag was okay, but not perfect either.

Last spring I got one of these map holders that attach to your arm from Aerostich: http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Forearm-Map-Case-p-16196.html. This has worked very well.

I already have a GPS on one side of the bars and radar on the other so I hated to clutter the bars with a seldom used EZ Pass. A buddy of mine just attaches it to his windshield and that works great but I think it looks ugly.

If I used the EZ Pass on a regular basis, my option may not be ideal. For limited use it has been effective for me.

Here is a more permanent solution, but may be difficult to attach to the GT: http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Cycle-E-Pass-p-19117.html.

·
2 heads are better than 1
284 Posts
2008-K1200GT said:
That sounds like a plan
I'll send you a bill for the custom mount. :rotf:

·
Veteran
117 Posts
I Velcro'd mine under the fairing above the battery. Here is the post with pictures. Never had a problem with any toll booths.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Whether it works in your jacket pocket or not may depend on you handlebar setting. My EZPass worked fine there for my Honda Sabre with its upright seating, but would sometimes failed to register on my R1100RS with its greater forward lean.

I keep my bars low on the GT. I use the same EZPass for my pickup, so to make it easy to swap, I put the EZPass in a vinyl pouch that's velcroed to the GT's dash (see pic). The downside is that I can't quite lower the windshield all the way.

Attachments

·
Addict-oholic
1,423 Posts
emzed said:
Whether it works in your jacket pocket or not may depend on you handlebar setting. My EZPass worked fine there for my Honda Sabre with its upright seating, but would sometimes failed to register on my R1100RS with its greater forward lean.

I keep my bars low on the GT. I use the same EZPass for my pickup, so to make it easy to swap, I put the EZPass in a vinyl pouch that's velcroed to the GT's dash (see pic). The downside is that I can't quite lower the windshield all the way.
In MA, are the toll rates the same for cars and Bikes? In NY, we have separate tages for bieks and cars and thetolls for cars are much higher. We are allowed 4 tags/responders per account.

·
Addict-oholic
1,423 Posts
pfiedler said:
Peter
After all the discussions, this is an observance from yesterday. I Joined 25 other riders at Manhattan BMW for a 300 mile ride upstate to New Paltz in the Catskills. I notice that of the 20 or so riders with EZ Pass,at the toll gates, the attendant had to handle most of the riders who hand waved, in pocket toll passes. Those that had them fixed on the windshield or tank bag, worked OK. We went thru 2 bridge toll booths and 2 NY Thruway toll boothjust on the way out of town. Coming home, we all split in different directions, The Thruway booths worked better for some ofhe hand held passes.

Just an observation on one trip...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts