BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the left fairing on my '04 GT (what BMW calls a "Trim Panel," P/N 46 63 7 659 315 on my GT). I've found a reasonably nice one for a great price at a salvage yard, but it's from a '98. Jean has mentioned in the past that there are differences in the older and newer fairings, but that they can be interchanged with some work. What are the details of the differences, and what work is required to make it fit? I don't mind doing a bit to it (especially since I have to sand and paint it - I'm not putting a taxi fairing on my grey-green GT, no matter how cool the taxi scheme looks!)

I could always pay BMW $511 for the panel in primer, but for the $400+ savings I don't mind sanding it down and doing some work - as long as it's not major surgery to make it fit, and as long as it won't end up looking mismatched with the right fairing.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I kinda think the side panel is the same, just that the newer nose piece fits over the early style mirror pod location. You'd have to drill it for the leg protectors too.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I need to replace the left fairing on my '04 GT (what BMW calls a "Trim Panel," P/N 46 63 7 659 315 on my GT). I've found a reasonably nice one for a great price at a salvage yard, but it's from a '98. Jean has mentioned in the past that there are differences in the older and newer fairings, but that they can be interchanged with some work. What are the details of the differences, and what work is required to make it fit? I don't mind doing a bit to it (especially since I have to sand and paint it - I'm not putting a taxi fairing on my grey-green GT, no matter how cool the taxi scheme looks!)

I could always pay BMW $511 for the panel in primer, but for the $400+ savings I don't mind sanding it down and doing some work - as long as it's not major surgery to make it fit, and as long as it won't end up looking mismatched with the right fairing.
Many years ago I had posted the warning that you mention about the large left side fairing being different from gen 1 (1998-2001 in USA) compare to later K1200RS-GT models. For K1200RS initially sold in CANADA , the gen 1 are limited to 1997-2000. My warning had nothing to do with holes for the leg guards specific to the K1200GT. It had to do with the fact the upper stay (front fairing bracket) is very different on the K1200RS Gen 2 front nose facelift - the front of this large side fairing bolts into this upper stay in front of fuel tank on top AND ALSO on each side of oil cooler.

I was NOT able to tried it myself with both generation in my garage at same time. In my earlier post I was only relaying info from another member of the now defunct I-BMW forum. Unfortunately he was not able to furnish more data or photo to help further - except for a remark about "just need to drill another hole on top near fuel-tank". The fact that BMW has a different part number for the left side fairing of 1998-2001 compare to 2002-2005 (USA models) was enough to take his warning seriously.

The right side fairing of all K1200RS is the same if bought on primer - of course each specific color has their own part number but nowadays these painted parts are no longer available in BMW catalog for K1200RS-GT

Based on the above, I would only order used from a 2nd generation K1200RS (or K1200GT) if shipping cost is an issue. I would not want to be a guinea pig and have to pay shipping cost to return such a large part - in case it just does not fit. If buying locally (driving to pick up) then at least I could bring my old left fairing to compare both. Good luck in your search...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many years ago I had posted the warning that you mention about the large left side fairing being different from gen 1 (1998-2001 in USA) compare to later K1200RS-GT models. For K1200RS initially sold in CANADA , the gen 1 are limited to 1997-2000. My warning had nothing to do with holes for the leg guards specific to the K1200GT. It had to do with the fact the upper stay (front fairing bracket) is very different on the K1200RS Gen 2 front nose facelift - the front of this large side fairing bolts into this upper stay in front of fuel tank on top AND ALSO on each side of oil cooler.

I was NOT able to tried it myself with both generation in my garage at same time. In my earlier post I was only relaying info from another member of the now defunct I-BMW forum. Unfortunately he was not able to furnish more data or photo to help further - except for a remark about "just need to drill another hole on top near fuel-tank". The fact that BMW has a different part number for the left side fairing of 1998-2001 compare to 2002-2005 (USA models) was enough to take his warning seriously.

The right side fairing of all K1200RS is the same if bought on primer - of course each specific color has their own part number but nowadays these painted parts are no longer available in BMW catalog for K1200RS-GT

Based on the above, I would only order used from a 2nd generation K1200RS (or K1200GT) if shipping cost is an issue. I would not want to be a guinea pig and have to pay shipping cost to return such a large part - in case it just does not fit. If buying locally (driving to pick up) then at least I could bring my old left fairing to compare both. Good luck in your search...
Thanks for the info. I've visually compared the fairings for the '98 and '04 and they look the same - but that can be misleading, so I wanted to ask those with more experience.

I think I'll go ahead and buy the early-model fairing. I'll have to drill the holes for the leg guard, but that's going to be the case for any RS fairing I want to put on my GT. Other than that, it sure looks like it should fit right on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts