BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So while riding a few weeks ago I noticed my fairing 'wiggling' around more than usual. Looked down and of course, the bolt which holds the fairing bracket to the engine is gone. Believe it was one of the 10mm bolts. Anyone know any compatible bolts or somewhere I can get the right one (possibly some backups after this :p)?

·
Registered
18 Posts
For the bikes I have, I look around on Ebay for stuff. For instance, I found a box of assorted fasteners from my bikes. It weighed about five pounds and had a great assortment of just about every type found on my bikes. There is one of those for a K75 on Ebay right now. These deals are usually very reasonable. And when you get these, you can replace lost/broken/worn-out fasteners with OEM stuff. Good luck!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well since Home Depot is just a mile from my house I gave it one more shot on the way to the dealer. Been to Home Depot and Lowes before looking for various other bolts on the bike (ironically others on the fairing), but they never seemed to fit quite right, which is why I hadn't even thought of going there again. But of course, this one just seems to magically fit. :dunno:

Back to the road...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've got a local "bolts and screws" supplier a couple of blocks from home. They carry both metric and English stuff. They're very helpful but they have a minimum $5 order. So when I go there I order the bolts/fasteners I need and then make up the rest of the order with the stuff I'm always losing when I take the fairings off of my bikes.

Larry Johnson
El Paso TX
1991 K75RT
1993 K11LT
1995 K11LT
2003 K12LT

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The first one I lost was one of the large ones underneath the headlights in the front, tried a couple from the Depot but the threads didn't quite fit, not sure why but I ended up making my own fasteners for those holes, washer and some zip ties makes it easier to take the fairing on and off I think. Plus, zip ties don't just fall out :tim

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've always found local hardware stores much better and the help much more helpful than the big box lumber yards when it comes to bolts and similar, especially when you are talking metric. IMO, save Lowes and H.D. for 2x4's and plywood.

·
Registered
305 Posts
WayneDW said:
I've always found local hardware stores much better and the help much more helpful than the big box lumber yards
If you can find a local hardware store that the big box stores haven't driven out of business. :boom:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts